Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: RAC 05 GPS-Enabled DashCam with Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: RAC 05 GPS-Enabled DashCam with Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: RAC 05 GPS-Enabled DashCam with Speed Cameras Reply with quote

The first thing that caught my eye with the RAC 05 was the built in screen. Oh, that and the fact that it comes bundled with our very own CamerAlert speed camera database. At this point you might be wondering how I can review an item when I have a vested interest in it. But please rest assured that this review WILL be unbiased - partly because the speed camera integration is only a small part of the product but mainly because, well, that's just what we do.

Read the full review here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviewed-rac05-dashcam-i8lrp.php
email icon
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they don't make it with the power connection that connects when you slide it on, rather than having the pain a separate cable to connect/disconnect. Only needs two slide connectors on the mount. That is as well as the ubiquitous Mini/Micro USB skt.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New software is, by all accounts, in the works - 64-bit only though.

MaFt
Bratters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sureley having the video visible while driving is illegal. I used to drive lorries with reversing cameras and they would only work when reversing for this reason.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

Thank you for the impartial review MaFt. A very interesting read.

I'm looking at all of your points now and the additional comments (thank you).

We've not sold the RAC 05 with a 4GB card to my knowledge.

May I also ask what computer you used to test the dash cam viewer?
fthompson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Power connection Reply with quote

I bought the new RAC 03 rear view mirror the in power socket being on the top when the power lead is inserted it sticks up fairly high and fouls the head lining,ok fo me. But when my wife adjusts the mirror to suit her position. It very difficult to get the mirror right due to the power plug. So I invested in right angled connector 90 deg. This has solved the problem this adapter from eBay 0.99p for two post free. Well worth the weeks wait I. The post
taits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: cam review, about sd card Reply with quote

Bundled with it seems two different capaciteis depending on when the product was made, either a 8gb or a 4gb card...
Not bad for short trips.
No mention of sd card capacity cam will actually accept however.
Good review.
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at buying this because of all the inbuilt features it has, but after reading the review I'm not so sure and will do some more looking around at the competition.
One of the things that is holding me back about buying one if these is that proofcam would drop PGPSW camera database sometime in the future, I bought an inforad detector a few years ago and they used PGPSW database for along time however that was until they decided to drop it and do there own database which is a waste of time,

Last edited by gazza70 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
We've not sold the RAC 05 with a 4GB card to my knowledge.

May I also ask what computer you used to test the dash cam viewer?

I'm sure I read in one of the manuals that newer devices may come with a smaller card... I can't find it now though :/

As for the computer, it's a 9yr old, intel dual-core, 4gb ram (3.2gb useable) running 32-bit Windows 8.1.

The Mac version of the software was better but still quite a system drain!
MichaelEvans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a RoadHawk RH2 since 2011. It cost me £300 then. One of the mistakes I've made in life. In the following years I've bought 3 dirt cheap £30-ish ones. The Roadhawk video quality is barely, if at all, better than any of the cheap ones. I've tried them side by side and there's nothing in it. None of them can resolve a moving car number plate [stationary, car immediately in front only - then it's gone]. As far as I'm concerned any camera that cannot read a number plate is effectively useless so it's a waste of money paying more than around £30 for the cheapest one. Unless you really want GPS which will be of limited use in a crash situation.

A couple of years ago I had need to submit a recording to the police regarding a dangerous driver. I was running both the Roadhawk and a cheap one at the same time. It was night time. Neither resolved the number plate but I was able to get it myself when I caught up with the car. Comparing the 2 recordings, I eventually submitted that from the cheap camera as being the better.

I've read countless reviews where they praise the video quality, HD resolution etc. yet when it comes to the test footage there are still no visible plates.

This review makes no mention of plate resolution so it's down to watching the recordings. No visible number plates. Any chance of seeing one as a car passes is eliminated by the positioning of the camera with the corner of the windscreen/pillar getting in the way. There are very few occasions in the video to attempt to read a plate. The best was when the car pulled out in front and the Citroen on the other side slowed. But that plate wasn't legible, even with the video played full screen. Cars further away - not a chance. The video quality is arguably no better than my £30 cameras and definitely not £120s better.

Until I see hard evidence of a visible number plate I shall be sticking to my waste of money Roadhawk and the cheap ones.
MichaelEvans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadmarsh wrote:

MichaelEvans! Did you check frame by frame to see the plates were readable? I use a little Mobius camera as a Dashcam and can read plates when I freeze the footage and check.

Of course I checked frame by frame. Anything passing to the side or further away than immediately in front is just a blur.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MaFt has previously posted a link to a YouTube video showing one of the initial test runs. From memory, the video shows excellent focus including legible regyplates.

I'm on my mobile at the moment so not able to research abs post the relevant link, but I'm sure somebody, more ably connected, could oblige.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelEvans wrote:
This review makes no mention of plate resolution so it's down to watching the recordings. No visible number plates. Any chance of seeing one as a car passes is eliminated by the positioning of the camera with the corner of the windscreen/pillar getting in the way. There are very few occasions in the video to attempt to read a plate. The best was when the car pulled out in front and the Citroen on the other side slowed. But that plate wasn't legible, even with the video played full screen. Cars further away - not a chance. The video quality is arguably no better than my £30 cameras and definitely not £120s better.

Until I see hard evidence of a visible number plate I shall be sticking to my waste of money Roadhawk and the cheap ones.

It doesn't help that the video is on YouTube... Even on their HD quality the bitrate is reduced to around 8Mbps which will affect overall quality. Also, the video was more to show the quality in various lighting situations and I wanted it to be fairly short/quick. There's nothing more boring than watching 10 minutes of footage of a single route... I can do one if you want though?!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I think MaFt has previously posted a link to a YouTube video showing one of the initial test runs. From memory, the video shows excellent focus including legible regyplates.

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6P1T2Mdm4 (it was on my personal account not the PGPSW one.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so what were the reg numbers of the cars coming the other way? Shocked
I think that this pretty much confirms what Michael said, doesn't it? Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: