Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC DashCams Use PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which is better? Reply with quote

kaydee2 wrote:
But which is the better dash cam - they both offer the speed camera database - their prices and numbering would lead you to think the 07 was a better product - and at £175 against £150 full price, that seems to support that.
With 25% the 05 costs £112.50 but with the 40% off the 07 model is only £99 - need a really unbiased review please!!¬!

With dashcams one of the most important factors is clarity of image and especially night footage (usually using HDR or WDR).
You may rely on the footage as evidence one day and it’s no good if it can’t see a number plate in low light.
I use a dashcam based on the same processor used in GoPro cameras and it's great at both and includes GPS.
My dashcam (as like many others) can go beyond 1080p resolution, but 1080p is a good compromise between image clarity and storage space.
I also tend to use my camera to guard my vehicle when parked so use a 64GB card which allows about 20 hours of storage... it caught someone scraping my bumper in a car park once!
I would suggest finding unbiased footage from these cameras on YouTube and users comments and then making an educated decision.
I’ve had cameras in the past that sounded great but when used in the real world were dreadful Sad
Be aware that when many dashcams go above 1080p features such as WDR, HDR or stabilisation are disabled as your utilising the entire sensor.
P.S. I also have a dashcam fitted to my rear windscreen which caught a rear shunt earlier this year... this camera has been running continuously for almost 4 years (hard wired) and is still going strong Smile
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Natasha for that info.
Will the new mirror cam be only the rear view or dual front and rear - and do any of the top end - 05/07 cameras support protecting while parked - with sensor operated recording?
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean, any chance of you sharing details of the cameras that you use and have found good - as you say, it is a minefield out there!
Momist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Information on RAC Dash Cams Reply with quote

NatashaProofCam wrote:
Good morning everyone,

My name is Natasha and I work for ProofCam.

Hi Natasha, thanks for the insight. For others, you can see here http://proofcam.com/products/ that Natasha is in the business of selling the four of the RAC dash cams, and only one of their own. Nevertheless, it is useful to have someone on here inside the industry.

Feedback for ProofCam: I find it less than transparent to list the cameras as 'Full HD' and 'Hi HD' etc.
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Momist.
If you google Super HD 1296p you find that it seems to be a term that the dash cam community have grasped and are using wildly without a great deal of information about what it REALLY means technically.
If it was a real thing I would have hoped for something on the first three google pages other than just dash cams!

Supermarionation anyone?!!!
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaydee2 wrote:
DeLorean, any chance of you sharing details of the cameras that you use and have found good - as you say, it is a minefield out there!

Have a look at https://dashcamtalk.com/ and the associated forums.
You will find answers to most questions here and write-ups on many of the "generic" cameras on the market.
Many dashcams are based on generic hardware but the housings and firmware etc are changed for each supplier.
I have a G90 as my front camera and my rear camera is an MD80 which has had it’s firmware modified so it powers up with the ignition, time & date stamp, cycling video (5 mins per clip on a 32GB card) and many more features.
Being honest, some of these cheap Chinese dashcams may not implement the best build quality and controls and some of the windscreen mounts are not the best.
...but if like me you love tinkering this is not a problem as you’re paying a fraction of the cost of a branded camera and can customise it to your exact needs.
Have a look here:
https://www.joovuu.com/
If like me you travel across Europe, the laws regarding dashcams are different for each country (some have banned them) so you need to be aware of this or you may end up in hot water with the police.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam
P.S. I've had to use footage from my cameras several times over the last few years... so having any camera is better than none at all!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Natasha

My wife and I have three vehicles, each one has a dedicated forward facing RoadHawk HD dashcam attached to the windscreen. We have a fourth RoadHawk HD dashcam on a sucker mount that we swap around for rear view. All RoadHawks are set to 1080p using maximum bitrate for the best quality recording.

The forward collision warning system and lane diversion warning system sound interesting. Do you have any more information and/or a video explaining and demonstrating how they work?

Do your units take removable (i.e. SD or Micro SD) cards or is the memory builtin? I ask because on a 64GB SD card the RoadHawk on the highest quality setting can record approximately 9½ hours of recording which I tend to keep by swapping cards and then backing them up to hard drive. This enables me to keep records of all of my driving and has proved very helpful on more than one occasion.

How do the RAC dashcams work with SPECS? Do they just warning of the poles or do they display your actual and average speeds whilst in a SPECS zone?

What happens if you drive in a country (e.g. France) which has outlawed any device that warns of a speed trap? Can the user chose to have the dashcam warn of cameras or is the data not accessible for those countries?

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Sygic Reply with quote

I use the inbuilt dash cam with Sygic, which seems good enough......for me.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to Momist Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. Can you elaborate on your point? I'd be interested to understand fully - I find it less than transparent to list the cameras as 'Full HD' and 'Hi HD' etc.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to KayDee2 Reply with quote

The RAC 03 is rear view only. We have dual cameras in development.

Our cameras have parking mode which awakes the camera if the G Sensor detects an impact.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to Privateer Reply with quote

Thank you for your questions.

Privateer wrote:
The forward collision warning system and lane diversion warning system sound interesting. Do you have any more information and/or a video explaining and demonstrating how they work?

I am actually working on a short video to explain both systems. Am I right in thinking I cannot post here once ready to share?

Privateer wrote:
Do your units take removable (i.e. SD or Micro SD) cards or is the memory builtin? I ask because on a 64GB SD card the RoadHawk on the highest quality setting can record approximately 9½ hours of recording which I tend to keep by swapping cards and then backing them up to hard drive. This enables me to keep records of all of my driving and has proved very helpful on more than one occasion.

Our micro SD cards are removable. We supply an 8GB card as standard and a 64GB card can be used for the incoming 03 and 05 models

Privateer wrote:
What happens if you drive in a country (e.g. France) which has outlawed any device that warns of a speed trap? Can the user chose to have the dashcam warn of cameras or is the data not accessible for those countries?

Currently the data is not accessible for France.

I will revert back on your SPECS question as I want to check one element.

Edited by Privateer to show answers better.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Your questions are the kind of thing I'm hoping MaFt's review will address.
NatashaProofCam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to Privateer Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
How do the RAC dashcams work with SPECS? Do they just warning of the poles or do they display your actual and average speeds whilst in a SPECS zone?

Our RAC 05 and 07S cameras recognise average speed cameras and will display your average speed whilst driving through them.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Privateer Reply with quote

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for the answers to my questions.

NatashaProofCam wrote:
I am actually working on a short video to explain both systems. Am I right in thinking I cannot post here once ready to share?

I'm guessing that when you have finished the video(s) you will publish on YouTube? Although you can't embed videos in this forum, you can always post a link to each video. Thumbs Up

I would like to see how the RAC dashcams compare to the RoadHawk HD.

What I've read so far the units sound useful, and have plenty of features. However the crucial thing is quality of the video (both day and night) and how quickly the GPS gets a lock on satellites and how well it keeps the lock.

Now, looking forwards to MaFts review ...

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
We expect your review by Saturday at the latest then. Very Happy

Ha!!! You've gotta be kidding? It's me doing the review and I've yet to learn the art of brevity...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: