Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Technical TMC question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Technical TMC question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Technical TMC question. Reply with quote

Hi again.

I'm very very close to ordering a GNS GPS and TMC 'mouse' from a seller in Germany on eBay..

I was just wondering how the TMC data is sent out of the mouse? GPS data is sent serially, is the TMC data sent in a similar way? What happens to software that isn't capable of reading TMC data? Does it just ignore the extra data?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Will a GPS TMC mouse still work with my old software?"

Heh.

Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for the Leadtek TMC/RDS Receiver based on the 9531. In this, the TMC Data is sent in the NMEA Data Stream and is decoded by the receiveing software. As such this is NOT compatible with navigation packages that expect standard NMEA data.

A utility is available that re-programs the TMC Radio receiver to a different frequency where it will receive no TMC data. If no TMC Data is received the NMEA Data Stream is in a standard format and 'should' work albeit with no TMC data it is now just a standard mouse GPS.

Unless you intend using this with Alturion or Navigon TMC Packages then I'd have to advise against this receiver as there is no guarantee that it's TMC feature willbe of any use with other applications in the future.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... Right. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone tried Navigon Mobile Navigator 4 with TMC in the UK yet? From what I've read on here, people are still unsure as to whether TMC is enabled in this version in the UK.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a reader review of this product by JeanPaul de Jong which confirms the TMC reception works here in the UK, read the full review here.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the referral Darren ;-)

I still haven't found the time to install version 4...I would be highly surprised and not to mention annoyed when version 4 stopped supporting it...Navigon who offered me the free upgrade definitely did not mention that I would no longer have TMC, I think it is safe to assume it still will...Especially as the Maps are still the same and that is the important part for TMC as they hold the license....On the otherhand, their website doesn't state the UK as support...But then again it didn't do that with the previous version either...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: