Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Cameras A40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Cameras A40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what they look like
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FergusT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: A40 Vector cameras updated in PGPSW DB? Reply with quote

When the cameras are eventually added to the DB (I can't add them, as I only ride the A40 on my bike), will the average speed warning include the 30 zone under the hangar lane roundabout? When going Eastbound, it's not clear when the 30 zone turns back into a 40 limit...

I think there is a DB update today (weds) so will check on the way home whether any of these are now live (none appear in Cameralert DB v. 13.084). The fixed cameras on the route covered by the VECTOR system now appear to be invalid, given the removal of all the associated road markings.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been up and down there but I'm in a similar position to you, can't log them when you're alone and driving. 2 man job.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FergusT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you log a group of VECTOR cameras covering multiple speed limits?

You need to know the prevailing speed limit both before and after each camera and also instances (and the position of) any limit changes between cameras, as this will change the average speed between a given pair...

Knowing where the camera position is alone isn't of much help....

Mods - any suggestions?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all accounts these are average speed cameras so once the positions and speeds are known it should be ok.

I wasn't aware of the 30mph limit under hangar lane but if that bit is average as well then there must a camera at the start and end of that section.

The only way they can clock your average speed is between 2 sets of cameras logging no plate info so for each section there has to be a start and end camera.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FergusT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are average speed cameras, however if a pair of cameras span multiple speed limits, then the average speed between the two cameras to stay within the respective speed limits may well end up being something like 38.6mph (for example), etc.

As an example, going eastbound on the A40, there is a change from 50 to 40 right outside the Hoover building, yet the next VECTOR camera is about 300m down the road. That means the average speed in the space between the two cameras which cover the stretch of road in front of the Hoover building won't be either 50mph or 40mph, but somewhere in between.

Similarly, if NIPs are issued on average speed between cameras1 and 6 or 2 and 7, or 2 and 5, etc. The actual max permissible average speed between all the cameras will need to account for the variable limits along the route.

Re the 30 limit under the bridge, on the downwards slip road (going both eastbound and westbound), they have stuck a 30mph limit sign on every single lamppost. This is what makes me think they will include the 30 section in their calculation of the max possible average speed between the two VECTOR cams which span this section.

I'll try and stop and take the locations and prevailing limits (at the camera location tonight), but it will be much harder to map where the limit itself changes, as there is no functionality to do that within the Cameralert app.

Granted, this appears to be a "special case" of average speed camera installation?

Edited: just found this DB of all UK speed limits (mapped for each road), http://www.itoworld.com/map/5?lon=-0.31819&lat=51.53276&zoom=16&redirected=41

However, a few sections are not up to date.....

Last edited by FergusT on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the camera being 300m down the road isn't important. When you get to that camera the limit is 40. When you get to the next camera it will check that you have averaged 40 or less.

Basically you should have been doing 40 300m before you reached the first camera.

Where any issue might occur is if an end camera is positioned after the limit has increased. If hangar lane reduces to 30 then there needs to be an end camera before it raises back to 40.

I've just followed the streetview camera (2014) and hangar lane tunnel has a series of 40 signs before and after so has that changed?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I need is a device where I can drive along the A40 and have some form of device where when I pass a specs I can just press a button and it will log my position for later interrogation at home.

Needs to be a simple button press.

Any ideas?

Phone App is no use as the phone keeps going to sleep and when driving I don't want to fiddle with it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FergusT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the iphone to "never lock" which prevents it going to sleep.

I've submitted most of the VECTOR cameras along the route last night and this morning. Some of the positions are perhaps up to 30m out as it's difficult to stop at the side of the road in some cases.

What also isn't clear from any roadside signage, etc, is when the zone starts and ends, other than from eyeballing when the first and last cameras are...

A couple more to add tonight.

Where the speed changes from 50 to 40 going eastbound past the Hoover (Tesco) building, the next camera is just before the Hangar lane roundabout (on the old 40mph fixed camera site). Whilst this is the "start" of the 40 zone (in terms of cameras), it's also the last camera for the 50 zone, although includes about 1/2 mile of 40 limit.....

Any ideas?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for logging them.

If you do the route daily then maybe check your positions in Google and Streetview and fine tune them. Get them initially entered to claim the years subscription if your the first, you can fine tune them later I think.

Very Happy

It will be interesting to see how the various devices deal with active Gatsos within a specs zone.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
FergusT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I've already tweaked a few positions via a combination of Google streetview and the submission section of this website.

In terms of the years subscription, etc, would I need to chase this from the mods, or would it be automatic (assuming I am the first to report them)?

Hopefully the apps will have the ability to keep a log of average speed in the background and warn of any new cameras on a live basis.

Thanks.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FergusT wrote:
Cheers.
In terms of the years subscription, etc, would I need to chase this from the mods, or would it be automatic (assuming I am the first to report them)?

It's automatic, if accepted you'll receive an e mail telling you your subscription has been extended and you'll be mentioned in the following Friday's newsletter.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to setup the newsletter for ages, just done it. Ta for the reminder.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, you set up a reminder and this week one doesn't appear ... what have you done Laughing Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I got nothing either. I broke it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: