Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 5 Speeders Clocked At Over 140 Mph
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

5 Speeders Clocked At Over 140 Mph
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving instructors/schools no longer do a proper job and the test is no better at creating good, competent and considerate drivers.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jeff-d
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Driving instructors/schools no longer do a proper job and the test is no better at creating good, competent and considerate drivers.

Very true Dennis.
When I learnt to drive way back in 1977 I was taught to pass the test, not to drive. I very much doubt that things are any better now.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, good or bad driving comes with experience. I think P plates are a good idea because I'm aware of a new driver and try to give them extra room.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff-d wrote:
When I learnt to drive way back in 1977 I was taught to pass the test, not to drive. I very much doubt that things are any better now.

When I learnt to drive way back before that, I only had six 1-hour lessons (BSM Instructor, £1 a lesson) and no practice driving in between. The majority of them were spent telling me how to behave on the road (I did my first emergency stop and my first hand signals in the hour before my test). Two interesting things I rarely see these days were :-
1. Reverse into your drive, never reverse out onto the road, never reverse out of a minor road onto a more major road.
2. Never do anything which causes any other road user (includes pedestrians and cyclists) to do something which they would not have had to do if you weren't there.

OK, everybody can now say I shouldn't be on the road.

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my test in 1965. Eight sessions for £30. Instructor would take off his shoes and light a cig, which I took to be positive feedback [though other deductions possible]. Still reverse into my drive and other parking spaces/places. But roads too crowded now not to cause some inconvenience to others when pulling out - you could wait a very long time for a large enough gap on most main roads [or need a very fast car].
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always, without exception, reverse in when parking. Always considerably safer when leaving.

Apparently, according to my old dad, during the war, if you parked your lorry nose in you were on a fizzer.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what happened to parking facing the right way? Highway Code 248 - 250.

The rule about reversing is 201.

Back around 1962 I think, I got fined £2 for parking overnight without lights, at the furthest point in a cul de sac, in a corner wall, under overhanging trees.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitramA wrote:

What we need is better standards, not lower speeds.

Seems to me that everyone thinks speed is the tool of the devil these days.

I said this "Many motorists manage to crash their cars at 30 mph or less, god knows what would happen if we allowed them to drive even faster than 70 or so on motorways".

Now, while I agree better standards would help you can't put the cart before the horse. Raising speeds is NOT the answer UNLESS you train drivers better, and since that is unlikely to happen due to the cost implications we need to enforce the current speed limits to protect us all from those who think they are safe driving faster but don't have anywhere near the skill to do so safely

Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, often those who want to go over 70 wouldn't have a clue if faced with a 'situation' at that speed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Now, while I agree better standards would help you can't put the cart before the horse. Raising speeds is NOT the answer UNLESS you train drivers better, and since that is unlikely to happen due to the cost implications we need to enforce the current speed limits to protect us all from those who think they are safe driving faster but don't have anywhere near the skill to do so safely

Oh how many top marks can I give for this?

I would only amend it slightly to read "but are so selfish that they don't understand that they don't have anywhere near the skill to do so safely". Like the guy yesterday who came down the entry slip road at more than 70, undertook me just as he reached the very end of the markings, then shot across into lane 3 cutting up two other vehicles on the way, and disappeared down the motorway ducking and weaving to get past everybody. There's a guy who knows what a clever driver he is. All three of us had to brake as he cut across us and we could easily have caused shunts. I sometimes wish I still had my ancient battered old Bedford 15cwt - nobody ever cut me up in that!

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few times I wished I'd been driving a Land Rover with RSJ's for bumpers. The thing is driving like that, although stupid, does take a lot of tiring concentration to duck and weave and I can imagine he/she arrives at their destination completely knackered.
What's the point?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... if she/he arrives at all Rolling Eyes
buffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving at over 70 mph is not a problem in the vast majority of European countries so those of you who seem to believe that drivers on this side of the channel are not capable of driving over 70 mph are either saying that our driving standards are vastly inferior to the rest of Europe or theirs are vastly superior.

Neither would be true and suggesting that drivers in the UK are incapable of driving over 70 mph is simply insulting to the vast majority of them although unfortunately true of some.

We have all seen examples of the lunatic driving described here and probably had serious concerns about how such drivers could believe that what are they doing is acceptable.

We have locally a driver in his 20s who was caught in France at 200 mph in his Audi RS8 that daddy had bought him and has been banned from driving but, from what I hear, is quite proud of his notoriety and gives no indication that he understands why such behaviour is totally unacceptable and should be restricted to a race track.

But restricting our motorways to 70 mph, a limit that was intended as a short term fuel saving measure and was never rescinded, when they are designed for and capable of considerably higher speeds makes as much sense as saying we are not capable of driving over 70 mph.

We have another local driver who more than adequately demonstrates the narrow mindedness of such thinking, he is the current F1 world champion, Lewis Hamilton.

Perhaps a total removal of a speed limit is a step too far but a revision to bring us in line with Europe and only obtaining a driving license in stages as more training is obtained together with more experience allowing the driving of more powerful cars and access to the motorway system should be implemented.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current F1 world champion drives at whatever speeds in a completely different environment, including exclusively amongst a group of like minded and trained other (race aggressive) drivers. If he drove at those speeds on our motorways he would rightly and deservedly lose his licence - because it would be dangerous.

buffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are 100% correct but it does disprove the idea that UK drivers are incapable of driving over 70 mph as some contributors would seem to believe and was simply presented as an example not a suggestion of how he drives on public roads or that anybody else should drive like a F1 driver on public roads.

Perhaps riding high horses would be more appropriate for some.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: