Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing Alk Tech.CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing Alk Tech.CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADRAIN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Replacing Alk Tech.CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert Reply with quote

I have a Samsung Note1 Android phone (GT-N7000) with CoPilot(Alk Tech.) mapping which comes with its own speedcam data. I'm guessing this is not the same as CamerAlert data?
If this is the case, how do I replace the CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert data?
Also how do I update the CamAlert data in future?
I have already dowloaded and updated CamerAlert to the phone and of course it come with its own mapping. What mapping does it use?
Many thanks for your help
Adrain
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamerAlert doesn't use its own mapping - it uses the current GPS position to tell you there are cameras at your current location (or approaching your current location). If you set it accordingly, it will also overlay the position/s on top of a (Google?) map tile it downloads as you drive.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ADRAIN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Replacing Alk Tech.CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I don't use google maps though but instead I use "CoPilot"(CoPilot Premium Europe) from Alk Technology. This comes with its own speedcam database which I would like to delete and replace with CamerAlert data which I assume is better information? (I don't know what camera data Alk use).
I've looked at the "About CoPilot" page to see who they get data from but there is no mention of it.
Any further help will be greatly appreciated.
Adrain
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot is an App, Cameralert is an App. One of them has to run in the background when the other is up front. You don't run Google maps in order to run Cameralert - there is a setting in Cameralert to show a map when required and to do so it will download (requires data connection) a local tile from Google maps, but it isn't running Google maps.

So your choice is to have either CoPilot or CamerAlert running with the other one running in background. With CoPilot in front, in the background CamerAlert will give audio warnings.

I'm neither an Android, nor CoPilot user, so I'm not sure whether or not it is possible to load CamerAlert database (as opposed to the App) into CoPilot to replace their database. Have a look at the installation guides and compatibility charts for your version of CoPilot.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93753&highlight=

The post is a few month old and the information is reported to be out of date. The web-links may offer you some helpful leads though. Even if it's just to say that it's not possible.

Edited by Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link posted by Ali has the correct import information except the folder to use is com.alk.Copilot.xxx/save, just drop the .ov2 & .bmp files in there & Copilot will import them next time you start it.

The PGPSW database will be imported as new poi categories & can be switched on/off via menu item 'Map/Map Display/Show poi Alerts/Select poi to Alert' (tick appropriate boxes) - the Copilot speedcam database (tick box) can be switched off in the same location.

Once imported, you will be able to see the speedcam icons on the Copilot map whilst CamerAlert (running in the background) overlays the big flashy warnings. The icons on the Copilot map are however tiny, and you have to be fairly well zoomed in in order to be able to see them at all.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Alk Tech.CoPilot speedcam data with CamerAlert Reply with quote

ADRAIN wrote:
I don't use google maps though but instead I use "CoPilot"(CoPilot Premium Europe) from Alk Technology.
What Dennis meant was not that you use Google maps, but the CamerAlert app does when you chose to display the map within the CA app in the foreground. In this mode it uses your data connection to download the map tiles as Dennis said.

It's a shame that the powers that be decided to call both the smartphone app and the PGPSW database for other devices by the same name. This naming policy leads to no end of confusion as to whether one is talking about the database on a different nav application or the CamerAlert app itself. Crazy. You asked about both the app and putting the data onto Co-Pilot in your opening post referring (correctly) to both the app and the database as CamerAlert.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: