Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Release This Week (5th November 2014)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Release This Week (5th November 2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=611348#611348

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
I don't come here to be threatened, abused or both. I would expect more of someone with the amount of posts you have and a moderator to boot.

Yes, you would. I've offered Dennis some wise words about moderation in the past, but that doesn't appear to have shut him up.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Yes, you would. I've offered Dennis some wise words about moderation in the past, but that doesn't appear to have shut him up.

Thanks bmuskett - appreciated.

I suppose that at least in I haven't been further abused. A step in the right direction?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PC World article in August 2014 states that "According to IDC, the total combined market share of Android and iOS swelled to 96.4 percent during the second quarter, up from 92.6 percent a year ago.

If your country follows the same, then there is a large possibility (i.e. over 95%) that subscribers to PocketGPSWorld will have access to a smart phone that uses either iOS or Android and therefore they will have access to the free CamerAlert App than uses the PocketGPSWorld camera database that subscribers already have access to.

I load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto my SatNav units on a regular basis although I may occasionally miss loading the latest version for a week of two - however I update CamerAlert on my iPhone once a week or even daily if I am on a long journey on roads that I haven't used before or in a while. This ensures that I always have the latest database as the CamerAlert database is constantly updated.

CamerAlert is especially useful when in a SPECS system as it shows your current speed as well as your average speed for the section that your in.

So to sum up, if you do have a smart phone that runs either iOS or Android then why not use the CamerAlert App in conjunction with your SatNav?

Kind Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
If your country follows the same, then there is a large possibility (i.e. over 95%) that subscribers to PocketGPSWorld will have access to a smart phone that uses either iOS or Android and therefore they will have access to the free CamerAlert App than uses the PocketGPSWorld camera database that subscribers already have access to.

A small flaw in your reasoning is that you are assuming that all subscribers to PocketGPSWorld have a smart phone.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if you reread my text you will see that I say that there is a 95% possibility that subscribers to PocketGPSWorld will have access to a smart phone that uses either iOS or Android. I did not say all, nor did I say 100%. Wink
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that you said all, or 100%, have iOS or Android. But for 95% of them to have an iOS or Android phone, 100% of them would have to have a smart phone. And I think that's your wrong assumption.

The PC World article is saying that iOS and Android have 96.4% of the smart phone market, not the whole population.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to your more extensive knowledge of maths! Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy
Perhaps you would care to give the correct percentage, with workings?

Yes I made an assumption that if people have a SatNav then they would have a mobile phone. For quickness I have also taken current market share to mean total population of mobile phone (owners).

I was just trying to be helpful by saying that a fair number of people could also use CamerAlert on their iOS/Android phone if they wished to. Rolling Eyes
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I bow to your more extensive knowledge of maths!

It's not maths, it's logic.

Privateer wrote:
Perhaps you would care to give the correct percentage, with workings?

Impossible, since I don't know how many PGPSW subscribers there are, or how many of them have smart phones.

Privateer wrote:
Yes I made an assumption that if people have a SatNav then they would have a mobile phone. For quickness I have also taken current market share to mean total population of mobile phone (owners).

And there is your error in logic. I think it's a fair assumption that if people have a satnav, they will have a mobile phone. BUT, a mobile phone is not necessarily a smart phone, and that's where your assumption goes wrong.

Privateer wrote:
I was just trying to be helpful by saying that a fair number of people could also use CamerAlert on their iOS/Android phone if they wished to.

I think you're right. I just don't think "a fair number" = 95% of PGPSW subscribers.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that told 'im, dinnit?

Out of my family, only 88.8888% (approximately) of members have smartphones (8 out of 9).

Out of my family members who own smartphones, only 0.125% are members of pgpsw. Out of the entire population of my family, only 0.1111% (approximately) are members of pgpsw. Out of the entire population of my family members who are members of pgpsw, 100% (that's all) use CamerAlert.

I think.

bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ofcom

Proportion of adults who personally own/use a mobile phone in the UK - 93% (Q1 2014)

Proportion of UK adults with a smartphone - 61% (Q1 2014)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source - me.

Out of the Earth's population, approximately 0.0000649% are registered users of pgpsw.

I could be wrong - I haven't had Anita check my sums.

200% of me owns a mobile phone. (That means I've got two, but only 50% of them are smartphones).

bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Source - me.

Out of the Earth's population, approximately 0.0000649% are registered users of pgpsw.

I could be wrong - I haven't had Anita check my sums.

Care to show us your workings? I'll check them for you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth's population 7.125 billion (sez Google). Forum registered users shown at bottom of Forum Index page - it's gone up since I last looked, so my figures are now incorrect and with my ability, I'm probably missing a few zeros at the front somewhere - I DID include the rider that I hadn't been in touch with Anita to check for me. You could perhaps have found those figures for yourself?

But you'll have to excuse me for preferring Anita's mathematical services - grinding axes and trust.

bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find those numbers myself, but they're not relevant to the point at issue, which is Privateer's 95% figure.

I understood Privateer to be talking about the number of subscribers to the speed camera database, not the number of subscribers to the forums. I don't think they're the same but it doesn't matter which you take (and we don't know the former), we're talking about percentages and the proportion of smartphones in the mobile phone population.

The Ofcom numbers show that for the UK, 61% of adults have a smartphone, and 93% have a mobile phone. If we assume that all subscribers to PGPSW have mobile phones, the proportion of smartphone users among the UK subscribers will be somewhere above 61%. Given that satnav users are likely to be more tech savvy than the general population, the proportion of smartphones is probably higher, but I don't think it's 100%.

That's all that's at issue here. I actually agree with Privateer that if you're worried about the PND database not being up to date, then using CamerAlert if you can is a good idea.

Last edited by bmuskett on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: