Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A9 Average Speed Camera Rolling Blockade Scrapped
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A9 Average Speed Camera Rolling Blockade Scrapped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: A9 Average Speed Camera Rolling Blockade Scrapped Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Back in June, we reported that "Lorry Drivers Threaten To Bring Scotland To A Standstill".

Lorry driver Conor McKenna intended to arrange convoys in an attempt to demonstrate what he thought might happen when the A9 average speed cameras are switched on, i.e. slowing the overall flow of traffic down between the cameras.

He now says that there is no need for such a convoy as the speed limit for HGVs has been increased from 40mph to 50mph - something that he previously campaigned for.

Mr McKenna says "It'll make a huge difference for us. Say you're going down to Glasgow and back up, then that's 50 minutes saved in each direction."

That said he still has concerns that the cameras would prove to be "a total disaster".

Although the cameras have yet to be activated, a Transport Scotland spokeswoman claimed that the cameras were already changing drivers' behaviour.

She commented: "Instances of excessive speeding on the A9 have dropped from around one in ten to less than one in seven hundred since the cameras were installed on the A9 and there has been no significant effect on journey times as a result of more people driving within the speed limit."

She added: "In a recent survey, 78% of drivers who use the A9 said they believed average-speed cameras were ‘effective’ or ‘very effective’ in improving road safety."

Source
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android
email icon

Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used the A9 recently as a driver of a 44t artic, the 10mph gained makes a hell of a difference on a 10 hour drive.

For example, I set off from Hamilton Services on the M74, and went to Elgin, Inverness and Dingwall, and returned that night to the new truck stop at Lesmahagow. If I had have had to do 40mph, I would have been lucky to get back to Perth. The distance gained was imperative to me personally, as it meant I could get back to proper facilities that I demand as a driver.

Lets hope that it is a success when it gets rolled out in 2015. I have no doubt it will be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: