Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin 3598 advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin 3598 advice please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamaster1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: New Garmin 3598 advice please Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a first time poster so first of all a big hello!

I have been in the road as a rep for many years and for the last 8 years or so have used Snooper sat navs the most recent being the S2000 Syrius.
However, it's getting on a bit and I have after a bit of dithering replaced it with a new Garmin 3598.

It's a nice, sleek and seemingly well made piece of kit that does far more than I will (probably) ever need.

However, it's also very different in its interface and software to what I am used to so perhaps I can ask a few questions of anyone in here who has one?
I have downloaded and read the manual but can find no answers.

The 3D buildings etc? When do they come into play? I set a route but nothing that looks 3D appears on screen. Is it only in certain locations or perhaps only once you start driving?
The screen shots on the plastic screen film show a photo image of two lanes as if it gives a real world view of lanes or the area? If so how do I get them to show?

Regarding "Voice Command"?
It works fine in POI's etc but if I try to activate it and use it to find an address or post code it tells me it's not available in the UK...what?

Finally, even my old Snooper has the function to view a route summary list (listing all roads street by street, turn by turn) on every journey but I can't find such a function on this expensive piece of kit?
Does it have it and how do I use it?

Should I perhaps go back to Snooper and get the Syrius SC5700?

Thanks in advance
Neil.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure 3D buildings is actually available in the UK ... you can check by looking for the 3D map in the .system folder, though to see that on your PC you need to set Windows to show hidden and system files and set your nuvi to mass storage mode. I believe the 3D map on your model is called gmap3d.img

It may also show when you go to settings, map and vehicles, myMaps on your nuvi.

The split screen you're referring to is junction view. That will pop up when you approach a junction for which there is a junction view in the map data. Mainly major junctions on motorways and some on A roads.

For voice command see here

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1df288e0-19f9-11e0-d39a-000000000000%7D
Seamaster1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have selected English from the language option but am still unable to use voice command on addresses or post codes.
Ok on POI and favourites and other shortcuts but not to search for addresses or post codes.

I do have only UK and Irelend selected on my map updates though as I don't need the European maps and didn't want to slow down my updates too much by updating loads of unwanted map updates in Europe?

Also I was miffed that at this price range there was insufficient memory for even my first update and was required to purchase a micro SD card!
I have done and it should be with me tomorrow hopefully but I wanted to keep it quick and simple by only having UK and Ireland updated.

Could this then be the problem?
Do I need to update to full Europe and keep dating in order to have VC on addresses and post codes?

What a pain!

I bought this because I like the VC feature and the "premium" build and styling.
If there were an identical model except for only being UK and Irelend then I would have gone with that but they are not the same styling and build as this.

Thanks
Neil.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you'll see from the link I included you need the full EU map. As for requiring a card for the update every device these days, eg cameras, phones etc, seems to need a card, satnavs have just jumped on the bandwagon.

You could try clearing out all the unnecessary EULA, voice, vehicle, help, keyboard and text files to see if that gives enough space for the update.
Seamaster1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I wait and download the full EU maps once I have the micro SD card.
I don't want to mess anything up by tampering with settings I don't fully understand.

Will my future map updates take forever with the EU mapping or will it make little difference?

Oh, and does the EU thing apply to speed cameras or will the Cyclops updates only be for the UK?

Neil.[/code]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclops updates are what you've bought (if any), the ones that come already installed don't update. You can though get a free month trial should you wish. I find though the ones from here far better value, particularly if you're able to report a new camera and get a free years subscription.

You'll find a full EU map will take longer then a UK only update. I tend to either leave it to get on with it overnight or download it when I know I have some time, it can't be rushed Wink

I also tend to download to a cloned device, then transfer the files manually. That way if there's ever a problem I know what's been replaced etc etc. Whatever you choose it'll pay you now to make a full back up if you haven't already done so. If you want information on cloning your Garmin see here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231
Seamaster1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sussamb"]
I'm not sure 3D buildings is actually available in the UK ... you can check by looking for the 3D map in the .system folder ... [end quote]

That is surprising - especially as they show the Houses of Parliament in the demo video halfway down the page on the Garmin website (or have they upgraded since sussamb's massage on October?).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/in-car-sat-navs/current-models/nuvi-3598lmtd/prod121763.html

I am tempted to buy myself a Christmas present Laughing to replace my 1690, but I notice from reviews on other sites that some items in the 3598 are not available in the UK - anyone know what they are?

Also, looking at the newer Garmins, they seem to have given up on the ecoRoute and the OBDII dongle.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe it is then ... I did say I wasn't sure Very Happy

If you buy one let us know Wink

As for ecoroute etc, not only is it still going (it's on my 2508) but there is also this

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/mobile/apps/garmin-mechanic-/prod94688.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by-accesories/ecoroute-services/garmin-mechanic-with-ecoroute-hd/prod38354.html#gallery-dialog

I'm not aware of any missing features on the 3598 compared with elsewhere, are you talking about smartlink apps though? Some of those aren't universally available.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb thanks for the links. Looks like for the future they have moved the ecoRoute dongle to the phone apps, though it still works on the older models like my 1690

Looking for 3598LMT-D on Amazon, I am a bit perplexed to see the words "Discontinued by manufacturers" at the end of the description.
Is this model on the way out. Is it the same as that mentioned on the Garmin website?
I'm a confused to say the least.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be an error, it's part of the current range

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/in-car-sat-navs/current-models/nuvi-3598lmtd/prod121763.html
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not be surprised if the 3598 is being discontinued. It has been out for a while and with the short lifetime of tech, if not discontinued now, will surely soon be. It is also not without its problems, slow screen updates/grey screen issues.

Las Vegas consumer electronics show is just around the corner & is where many manufacturers show their new toys. I always watch the Sony stream to see if it is time for a new telly (I noticed they rushed out a bent screen telly, to compete with Samsung)

Manufacturers do not seem to like giving clues as to when current products will be discontinued. It just creates a pile of unsold stock, sure retailers would not be too impressed either.

As for the 3598, I found it far from intuitive. My top tip would be if anything is grey on the screen (apart from the map) poke it. There is usually a pop up menu behind. There seems to be a battle of the programmers, with some liking a menu system and others liking a poke & pop up system.

Whilst I'm diss'ing the garmin, it is about time they had a 'avoid roadblock' button like TT. Sure it has 'detour' but it just does not seem to work well, when stopped in front of a fallen tree or smash. TT, hit the 'avoid roadblock 'in 1/4 mile' (even if you are stopped in front of the closure) and it re-routes you without problem.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Garmin's digital traffic you can be re-routed around anything without issue, although I prefer to make a manual choice rather than have it set to automatically re-route. Detour button has always worked well for me on the few occasions I've had to use it.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the unannounced or short term blocked roads that need a quick work-around. Just take last years weather for example, loads of fallen trees or flooded roads, often little country lanes that no way would find it onto digital traffic updates. TT is just better, tap in roadblock ahead & it will route you round. Garmin version just does not work well. I have recently found the option where a particular named road can be avoided, but usually I am on the road that I now need to avoid (as it is blocked in front of me) this seems to confuse the poor little garmin.

I have also found many planned road closures lasting several weeks have not made it onto the digital traffic service. Gattom Bottom, top of Reigate Hill, for example. shut for weeks but garmin oblivious, sure TT would be too.

I have had a new TT forced upon me, so now run garmin & TT in parallel. TT traffic seems to update faster (2G not digital broadcast). Was sitting in a jam on a motorway. TT clearly showing congestion, garmin meanwhile showing the way ahead was clear.

However I have gotten used to some of the better features of garmin, real view road layout for example, although routing seems better on TT. So will run both for a while.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Well maybe it is then ... I did say I wasn't sure Very Happy
If you buy one let us know Wink

Well, finally did it - to be fair, both my sons contributed as well which probably let them off the hook as to what to give the old man!

My initial thoughts:
Nice and light, I feel that the reflective glass screen could be a problem.
Some of the 'live' facilities available on the 1690 have been moved to the phone app.
The buttons on the screen need getting used to as they are different from earlier units.
The 3D does work but it seems that the buildings only appear in the bigger towns and cities like Central London, Birmingham, etc.
The book mentions the EcoRoute HD but I have not tried it yet.
Updating maps was fairly painless after I'd found a spare SD card - though inserting the card was a bit puzzling; ie which way the contacts should face - insertion was not smooth and I didn't want to force anything.
Transferring the favourites from the 1690 using Express was quite straight forward.
However, does any one know how to call up and use the routes transferred from Basecamp/Mapsource? The 'Routes' button in the Favourites seems to create new routes.
I know the downloaded routes are on the unit, because importing data back from the unit to the PC shows the routes on both Basecamp and Mapsource.

I'll give it a proper run tomorrow after the work and school brigade have left!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: