Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - App for iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

App for iPhone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramaprem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: App for iPhone Reply with quote

I own gps devices for autos (both TT and Garmin), but - because of the very short battery life of these devices - they are mostly useless for walking around a city, for example. So I thought to purchase the TT app for iPhone. I should mention that I have only a pay-as-you-go phone (no data-plan), and wish to make no changes in this. I don't want to pay anything as I'm walking around unfamiliar cities. And I wish to use it just about anywhere in Europe.

I assumed that the phone-with-app would work exactly as a normal auto device would. But this:
"Services are available via in-app purchase and require a mobile phone connection."
is printed in the TT specs (services) for the app - as shown in iTunes.

Now, I'm not sure if my phone will function exactly like a dedicated navigation device.
What does "and require a mobile phone connection" mean in this case? Why would it?

I guess that I could just turn on the phone and connect to any local cellphone carrier, without "using" the phone, or incurring charges. Or not? And be connected, but for what purpose? Again, I want to walk around - and not pay for it!

Of course, I assume that the battery life of the phone will really suffer using it as a gps device. Am I going to find the phone, too, will have a similarly short battery life?

I should add that I have a Garmin e-Trex 20 - with OpenSource maps - for this purpose. It works absolutely great (the batteries last forever) - but I am looking to make use of the beautiful and larger screen of the phone.
Ramaprem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator:
Perhaps this is best placed on this forum:
"tomtom on iphone and android"
which I did not see when posted here.

Please move it, if you wish.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ramaprem. The iPhone does not need a data connection to work as a conventional GPS when loaded with the TT (or most other) app.

There are some services TT would like to sell you to "enrich" your navigation experience (such as Local Search) but these are optional.

If you leave the GPS activated on your phone it shall consume extra battery power and the battery shall need recharging more frequently. Switch the GPS chip off when you are not needing it.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Ramaprem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Enrich". Nice touch. A double-edged sword.
Thanks for the info.
avarob89
Spammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Apps Reply with quote

Google Maps all the way! Way better than Apple Maps.
Ramaprem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something?

Apple Maps are not loaded in any device - not even my computer; it (the maps) require an Internet connection.
Isn't Google Maps the same?

If so, isn't this response useless as a response to my question? I need maps installed on the phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: