Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poor results in France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poor results in France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: poor results in France Reply with quote

Having been a 100% satisfied member for many years using a TomTom Go Live 1005 I recently changed over to Android and am now using a Nexus 7.
In the UK absolutely no problems so far....but....having just completed over 3200 miles on holiday in France I am very disappointed to have to say the system was utterly useless, it pinged maybe 6 times in total Sad
Previous years with the TomTom have worked perfectly, pretty much every fixed camera popped up and I was impressed with the accuracy of the mobile sites as well but not this year.
I don't drive like an idiot and don't rely on the device but of course it is always re-assuring to be warned of the camera sites and those sneaky Frenchies hiding behind bridges etc.....but this year pretty much nothing Sad
There are still loads of fixed cameras present so presumably there is something not right with the database which, as previously stated has been impressively accurate in previous years.

The installation is using all the default settings and I have set it to launch the TomTom app which worked OK

Ideas please ??????
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe has something to do with the fact that warning of French cameras is now illegal?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does not the PGPSW database for CA include the French cams? I've just had a look and there are shedloads showing in Paris.
However, if the OP is talking about the TT database running in TomTom, then that's a different story.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGPSW database does but I got the impression the OP was using the TT one Confused
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's posted in the CA for Android forum, and has it set to launch the TomTom app. That's how I read it
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right ... you always seem to be Very Happy

In that case I don't understand it ... I'll be in France next week for 2 weeks so hopefully mine will work OK Confused
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am referring to the PGPSW app for Android devices
It has the option of also starting the TomTom app and then running in the background - and as I said it works perfectly in the UK !!

I am well aware that, technically it is illegal to PINPOINT the exact position of a speed camera but a) that is my choice when using it and b) the app is supposed to advise you that there is a camera or other device somewhere in your immediate area.

It did work but as I said maybe only around 6 times on a 3000 mile journey....somethings' clearly not right there
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am referring to the PGPSW app for Android devices
It has the option of also starting the TomTom app and then running in the background which is what I did - and as I said it works perfectly in the UK !!

I am well aware that, technically it is illegal to PINPOINT the exact position of a speed camera but a) that is my choice when using it and b) the app is supposed to advise you that there is a camera or other device somewhere in your immediate area.

It did work but as I said maybe only around 6 times on a 3000 mile journey....somethings' clearly not right there
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see any cameras on the submission map that were on your route that did not alert? Are you certain that CamerAlert hadn't shut itself down after a stop of more than 10 mins?
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of cameras on roads we used, none of which triggered an alert

I started the app each morning (which then started TomTom), on a couple of occasions I exitted TT by using the "go back" arrow on the device (bottom left of the three) and noted that the speed cam app was still running
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the 'loads of cameras' are on the submission map and thus in the CA database?

Then I'm foxed Out of here
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I had assumed they would be as my previous TomTom pinged every one in previous years !
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess with hindsight I could / should have tried looking at the PGPSW app map whilst we were over there but that's the benefit of hindsight Sad

I just looked along the A16/E402 between Bologne Sur Mer and Calais (i.e. English alley where everyone hares along to get to the ferry / Channel Tunnel ports) and there are several shown on the map that most definitely did not alert.....hmmmmm
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run a simulation along that route and they're alerting fine on my 2508, will see for real in a few days Very Happy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a very obvious suggestion, but ... are you sure you downloaded the French cameras? I'm not a regular user of the Android app, but on a TomTom device, because they are technically illegal, they are not included in the Europe download by default - you have to specifically tick another checkbox to get the French cameras as well. Is there a similar setting on the CA app?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: