Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One Speed Camera Responsible For Huge Rise In Fines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One Speed Camera Responsible For Huge Rise In Fines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: One Speed Camera Responsible For Huge Rise In Fines Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Almost 39,000 drivers were caught by speed cameras across Derbyshire in the 12 months to June 2014, compared to just over 22,000 in the previous year.

Although the increase will result in a substantial rise in speeding fines collected for the UK Treasury, 16,451 of those caught opted to complete speed awareness courses which are offered as an alternative to fines and penalty points.

The overall rise has been attributed to just one set of average speed cameras on a stretch of the M1 snapping 18,000 motorists.

Alan Charles, Derbyshire's police and crime commissioner commented on the figures: "As can be seen, there was a significant rise in speeding offences in 2013-2014. This rise can be attributed to the introduction in December of average speed cameras on the M1 put in place to help protect the workforce completing the road works."

The speed cameras will remain after the road works are completed to enable Derbyshire to enforce reduced speed limits during congestion.

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the A23 at the weekend and a few came past me doing 45-50 in the 40mph specs zone.

This is one scenario where I do make use of my cruise control.

ps: The specs cameras from here were spot on with the start and finish of the zone.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Almost 39,000 drivers were caught by speed cameras across Derbyshire in the 12 months to June 2014, compared to just over 22,000 in the previous year
I see that they are working to reduce the number of people speeding then. Up by 77% Rolling Eyes
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: New Speed cameras (everywhere?) Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Rob wrote:
Almost 39,000 drivers were caught by speed cameras across Derbyshire in the 12 months to June 2014, compared to just over 22,000 in the previous year
I see that they are working to reduce the number of people speeding then. Up by 77% Rolling Eyes

So much for the recently proposed increased speed limit on motorways. The proposal to lift the current 70 limit to 80 because that' s what is considered the norm has been hit by the EU directive that the motorway speed limit is reduced to around 50 /60 MPH. We'll all be driving at articulated speeds soon.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speed cameras (everywhere?) Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:
has been hit by the EU directive that the motorway speed limit is reduced to around 50 /60 MPH.
Reference?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is, as you say, 70 = 80 so 80 would = 90.

On the original post I think some drivers don't understand what Specs and average speed zones are all about. They will when they get the NIP Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Speed cameras (everywhere?) Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
lillyelse wrote:
has been hit by the EU directive that the motorway speed limit is reduced to around 50 /60 MPH.
Reference?

I'm guessing this is referring to the suggestion earlier this year that motorway speed limits in certain areas should be reduced to 60mph in an effort to meet EU pollution targets.

However this suggestion was more recently shelved, (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28210416), so I don't imagine we'll be seeing any change in the current 70mph limit for the foreseeable future.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain tried reducing speed limits last year, supposedly to help reduce pollution. The government spent millions changing road signs, only for the limits to be raised again a few months later, allegedly due to the lack of revenue generated by the fuel savings!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Speed cameras (everywhere?) Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:
We'll all be driving at articulated speeds soon.

Yesterday I had to do 70 to pass an artic (very slowly) on the way to Glasgow.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I was on the A23 at the weekend and a few came past me doing 45-50 in the 40mph specs zone.

Even assuming that you were working from a calibrated speedometer rather than the (designed to over read) one in your car, ACPO guidelines (10% + 2mph) mean that it's unlikely that the SPECS would be set at anything below 46mph on that stretch. If your observations were based on an uncalibrated speedometer, it's quite possible that the cars you estimated at 50mph were actually driving at or below 46mph, and so were very unlikely to have been prosecuted.

Also - even if they passed you at 100mph, they may have been going much more slowly elsewhere on the stretch between the cameras, bringing their overall average speed within tolerance.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Dennis was averaging out the speed readout from his six sat nave devices which is likely to give him a more accurate speed than his speedo. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the mighty fallen? I now have only three. And of those, one is the built in rubbish Renault R-Link TomTom, so it doesn't really count.

Anyway, in order to average out my 173mph for 12 seconds, I had to stop on the hard shoulder in the roadworks for 98 minutes to get the average down to 40mph.

And at one point, I noticed a contractor's van INSIDE the roadworks coned area, doing at least 50mph past an average camera, but I suppose he was OK because he'd been parked there for two days doing nothing.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Also - even if they passed you at 100mph, they may have been going much more slowly elsewhere on the stretch between the cameras, bringing their overall average speed within tolerance.
Or they might just have no idea how average speed cameras work and will be adding to the fine pool. As this stretch of road appears to have caught a lot of peeps, it seems that there are a lot of peeps in this limited understanding category
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peep, peep. Out of my way, I'm bright.

alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere (no idea where) that with SPECS it was likely you would be fined for 1 mph over the stated limit.

Personally, I play safe and set my cruise control to my sat-nav's version of the limit.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: