Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Something other than Traffic master
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Something other than Traffic master

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmfm20j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Something other than Traffic master Reply with quote

I own a small business and both of our vans are running Traffic master smart nav.

My camera subscription is running out (first three months being free) and I have been wondering if its best to renew this or change the satnav completely. The reason for the latter is a degree of frustration with traffic master: it always has to call central office when a new route is entered or when a deviation from the route takes place. This can take an age and, quite often, doesn't work at all - I'm therefore stuffed. I also find it laggy on roundabouts and the voice seems to witter far more than is healthy. I need something audible, but the volume control is basic in the extreme.
I know I'm being picky, all too easy with what you know.

I run about half a dozen routes a day, sometimes more. I need instant rerouting for jams. I want the camera database. I don't want to have to periodically download either firmware, camera databases or anything else. I also don't want my smart phone as the data conduit - it being a Blackberry, may or may not work successfully as Blackberry apps are limited. I don't need the ability to play bluetooth audio or make phone calls with the unit as I have a Parrot to do that.

Something like the Tom Tom 5000 or the Garmin equivalent seem to stand out. I guess I am a professional user so I want something that runs and works well, time is money.

Am I daft to dump traffic master (it came bundled with the van) or are the likes of Tom Tom and Garmin a universe better?

I don't want to spend an absolute fortune on a unit but respect that a cheap one would be a false economy. What do you think would be best for me to go for?

thanks

Ian
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to do itinerary planning? i.e. Multiple drop-off points in on journey/trip. And is it essential?
fmfm20j
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Do you need to do itinerary planning? i.e. Multiple drop-off points in on journey/trip. And is it essential?

No, single point to point is fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: