Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elevonic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Speed camera updates Reply with quote

Hi, I have added cameras by using POi warner on my medion PPC. I know I can e mail the locations, but how do I retrieve the locations from POi warner,ie the lat & long? It's not practical to stop on the A2 at Bexley, in the rush hour,and log the location,Laughing Out Loud. Cheers
Lester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a few to my machine, and I'd like to send them in as well....

So if anyone can tell us how to do it that'd be lovely. Mods ?
Lestronics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently strayed from my usual routes and found at least 3 cameras that have been there for more than a year, but don't appear to be in the database. It seems also that this database has gone very quite with updates, infact I haven't seen any ! this is a shame as this is a very good s/ware product, most likely the writer is far to busy.
I would like to add any that are missing from the database, so I am asking anyone with known coordinates of missing cameras then would they please e-mail them to me and I'll add them.

@elevonic
Could you not use the memorise function within tomtom as you go past the said cameras? Please also sent the details of the cameras you have added.

@Lester
Please also send the cameras you have added.

Regards
Les

LestronicsUK@Hotmail.Com
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this is a bad idea. We want ONE database not a collection with different cameras. The guys who do this work are to be commended and offered help to update a CENTRAL database not replaced.
Lestronics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sarma

I don't wish to sound negative but the last update was on the 3rd of May, more than 2 months ago ...... I strayed from my usual route and found 3 cameras not in the database all within a 1 day drive, these cameras have been there for more than a year, so there not really new. I see this thread was started 30th June and 3rd of July without even a reply to there questions till today the 11th July, this indicates to me that no one appears to be interested anymore and therefore I am just offering to update the original database with new cameras and of course would make this available to all.
If this is not acceptable then I am requesting from others any new or old cameras not in the current database to satisfy my own needs.

Regards
Les
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you, sarma. A first post by Lestronics and it's critical of a free service provided to us by a bunch of guys who have full time jobs as well as running this site. Of course the database is incomplete - it relies on us guys to keep sending in the data so Darren can issue the updates. I know he intended to do an update by the end of June but if he's a few weeks late what does it matter?

I for one am so grateful for all that the Pocket GPS World guys do for us and it would be totally counterproductive to dilute the effort put in by Darren to the speed camera database.

I don't know anything about POI Warner, but I'm part of the GPS Assist beta testers and all I can say is watch this space in respect of that product. Some of the things in beta and planned for the short term future for GPS Assist are electrifying and one in particular should reduce the time between database updates and increase accuracy at the same time!
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elevonic and Lester - as I said in my last post I don't know anything about POI Warner but there was a short thread running last October which might help you. I think you are a bit out on a limb as most people run Checkpoint. Anyway, if you click HERE you may find it of some help.
Lestronics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you all got the wrong end of the stick, sure they do a good job, I'm not disputing that at all, I just read the frequently asked questions and it states an update at least once a Month and every 2 weeks normaly, well more than 2 months from the last update and not even a reply from this thread for more than a week, what is one supposed to think. It's amazing how all of a sudden you all spring up with replies to my reply of help with negative responses, if you are so concerned then why have you not replied to the original posters of this thread, advising them what they should do? or even the authors for that matter ......
I hold a full time job also but can still find a little time to make a reply.

Regards
Les
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've got the wrong end of the stick. I think perhaps you had better look at the Speed Camera Database page again:
Quote:
The Pocket GPS database and data contained within it are owned by and copyright of Pocket GPS.co.uk, all rights reserved worldwide. This data is not allowed to be reproduced on any website or in any application in part or in full without the prior written authorisation of Pocket GPS.

No-one is stopping you from gathering new information and publicising it away from this site, but to take this database as your basis and say "Hey, guys, send me new camera positions" is perhaps not in the spirit of things.

I'm glad you can hold down a full time job and make a couple of replies in one forum - the guys who run this forum for free have in the order of 70 forums to peruse and reply to, they do all the testing of new GPS equipment and write the reports, they attend overseas conventions and shows, and until recently they did that without the aid of any Moderators.

Why haven't I replied to the posts on this thread before?...Well, it's primarily because I hadn't seen the thread before, but there again have you read all the threads in all the forums? The second reason is that I have no knowledge of POI Warner as I have stated before, but having happened on it I thought spending a few minutes doing a search would perhaps help someone out, just as many have helped me out in the past.
Lester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have stumbled on a way of getting the necessary information out of POI-Warner and I've emailed in the relevent file to this site.

So I'll just wait for confirmation that what I've done is useful, and post my method.

Thanks for the response. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: