Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avon and Somerset introduces motorbike cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avon and Somerset introduces motorbike cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Avon and Somerset introduces motorbike cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Avon and Somerset have introduced three police motorbikes equipped with mobile speed cameras to patrol the force area.

Police Officers will be able to park up and deploy the tripod mounted cameras at locations where mobile speed cameras could not operate.

Costing £50,000, the motorbikes join the existing fleet of nine camera vans which already catch more than 66,000 motorists each year. Avon and Somerset's fixed speed cameras, turned off as a cost saving measure on 2011, are also to be reactivated.

Source: WesternDailyPress.co.uk
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were turned off to save costs, then they cannot have been vital for safety. So how do they justify reactivating them?

Edit: The van in the background with 'Thrifty' on it is more than ironic.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those mobile vans must be worth their weight in gold. 9 vans, 66,000 per year = approx 7,333 per van per year. At £60 a throw, that's not far short of half a million per van per year. No wonder they can afford a few new bikes at £50,000, with the prospect of them earning their bit too.

Makes you wonder how it was possible to decide the fixed cameras weren't earning their keep - surely a mere 1,000 caught would clear the costs? But wasn't it to do with the money not going to the cameras, but to HM Government?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I'm getting a cat flap for my whippet'

Shouldn't that be a flat cap? Off Topic I know, I know.....that was the whole point of the line - shoot me.

There is no peace in a home where a dinner swells....
Kia In-dash Tomtom
lenfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one of these for the first time near Leeds the other day.

Len
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenfish wrote:
Saw one of these for the first time near Leeds the other day.

Len

Yeah, they're not well liked down here, so we told them to go to Yorkshire. Twisted Evil

TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with fixed cameras not making any money is every one knows where they are( unless your not local ) and what you will see is every one slow down when they see them then speed off after passing them.

What would really work in the UK is the US cameras that are built into every police car that can be used then there moving,

Take it from me when I was stopped at 42kph in a 40 zone nice police man let me off with a warning, I did not notice the ghost van coming at me was a police van with this equipment.

UK has defiantly gone to the dogs when it comes to speeding and mobile use.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we all know why and that it's an easy way to raise revenue, that's all cameras are & all they ever will be.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could argue it's only easy because too many people break the speed limit, if folks didn't it wouldn't make any money Wink

Normally too you need to be at the limit + 10% + 2mph so it's folks well over the limit, if they backed off a tad revenue would drop and there would be far fewer accidents.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I disagree.

If you dealt with the idiots who do UNDER the limit and when I say that I mean pillocks who do 40 on a 60 or 70mph dual carriageway/Motorway or 20 in a 30/40 zone, who cause frustration for those who'll do the limit & maybe a tiny bit more, the same as those who do well OTT, then we might get somewhere.

It's the slow ones who're just as dangerous to road users as those who go wayyy too fast.

Also you need to change the rules on mobile phone usage at the wheel, in that instead of just getting a fine for using a handheld mobile you not only get a fine & points for doing so, but you also get some time off the road in the form of a ban of a month or so for a first offence, 6 months for the second, 1 year for the third, get caught a 4th time it becomes a permanent ban from the road.

Anyway I digress, there's a world of difference between doing 40 mph past a school at chuck out or start time & doing 40 mph at 2am, when no one's around or during a school holiday. A police officer should have full discretion on whether to issue a penalty or whether to give you a right b0ll0cking instead.

I was caught doing 40 in a 30 at 2300, all I got was a right b0ll0cking, but some others will just instantly give you an instant fine.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree with all you've said. I was just saying that the only reason it's a revenue maker is because folks are over the speed limit Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well I agree with all you've said. I was just saying that the only reason it's a revenue maker is because folks are over the speed limit Wink

And as for mobile phones, confiscate on the spot, crush the phone and have the number disabled immediately by the carrier - that'd be a real PITA to everybody who only knows a phone number because it's in their address book and can only get calls on that number. Twisted Evil

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I was caught doing 40 in a 30 at 2300, all I got was a right b0ll0cking.

Which is OK is it? There wouldn't be any drunks staggering out from between parked cars and wandering all over the road? And if there were and you flattened one, it would be OK because he shouldn't be drunk and incapable? I thought 30 was supposed to represent an area of some safety for others, particularly pedestrians, so there is no safe time to exceed it. If you're out and about, somebody else is too.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not the people who do 20MPH in a 30 zone or 40 in a 60 or 70MPH limit who cause the accidents. Don' blame the careful driver for the accident, blame the impatient behind who must just overtake when it's not safe to do so. People who bang on about careful drivers get up my nose. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some impatient censored overtook me this evening pulling out of Morrisons, we were both turning right and he jumped across the opposite side of the mini roundabout I was negotiating and shot off up the residential 20mph zone doing at least 30, probably more. And pulled into his driveway 300 yards up the road! Even Vera thought he was a censored. Censored. The sad thing is the fact that such a large proportion of accidents happen within a short distance of home - if his children or nephews and nieces were out playing, he might well have mown them down. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: