Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom USA 3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom USA 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevetrease
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: TomTom USA 3? Reply with quote

Is there any work on when (or if?) Tomtom will update TomTom USa to version 3?

I'm considering buying a copy for a trip to California in a month or two and don't want to buy an old version if a new one is imminent.

Thanks,

Steve
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work or word? Anyhow, there are some careful plans to introduce TomTom 3 later this year. They probably still have to cut the MajorRoads maps Th

That''s pretty much the only difference to version 2.24 . OK, then there's the stopover navigation (itinerary) and there may be the traffic feed.

Overall I think you will not see such a big difference. If you want to use TomTom now then go get version 2. Otherwise you may want to look at alternatives like Mapopolis.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stevetrease
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Woops. "Word" not "work". Sorry.

I'm going to upgrade to TomTom 3 for UK, but don't really want to buy TomTom USA 2 if 3 is coming soon - plus I don't think both versions can exist on the same PocketPC....

Anyway, I guess I'll just have wait for a press release from TomTom about TomTom USA 3.

Thanks,

Steve
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned elsewhere in this forum you can run the two programs side by side, just with the minor inconvenience that each swap forces you to reselect the maps and some othen initialisation parameters (this is because they both use the same registry entries, but obviously for different things)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I bought TT2 in the USA last year when I was living there. I moved to the UK this January and bought the European map package to give me maps for the UK (and Europe).

Now - how can I upgrade to version 3 since upgrading the European maps only won't give me the software? And there is no upgrade to the US package yet (I did get the updated map package earlier this year). I would like to get the new TT - since I would like the additional functionality of TT3 and the more up to date maps for Europe. Any ideas?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand your concern. You can install the two applications (TTN2 for US, TTN3 for Europe) and run either of them - with the known hickups). The only thing you cannot currently do is run TTN3 with the US maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the question to TomTom and the reply I got sounds as though you can ask for the upgrade to the USA maps at the same time as any european ones. There is no date for when you would get the USA ones replaced though.

My question to TomTom:-
I am going on holiday to the USA in late May and would like to buy the TomTom Navigator maps of the USA however, I understand these are currently only for use with TTN2 and I am upgrading to TTN3. Should I wait for the TTN3 version of the USA maps or do I stay on TTN2 and buy the existing USA maps? If I do this will the USA maps be upgraded as part of the standard upgrade charge?

TomTom's reply:-
Unfortunately the charge will be probably the same for each of the software, only if you do the upgrade for both at the same time it will be possible for you to pay only once.
If you wait longer until the Navigator USA 3 will be on the market you will be able to upgrade both at the same time and pay only one but we have not a specific date for the new release ir order to see if you could wait before go to USA.
In the other hand we are out of stock for the Navigator 2 USA.
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Not sure I understand your concern. You can install the two applications (TTN2 for US, TTN3 for Europe) and run either of them - with the known hickups). The only thing you cannot currently do is run TTN3 with the US maps.

Lutz,

The concern is that I won't HAVE two applications - since I would have the map-only data for TTN3 Europe and rely on the TTN USA for the program- which is still v2. So, effectively, I can't upgrade my European maps until TTN3 for the USA is available. Which is fustrating since I now live in Europe and wouldn't mind having up-to-date maps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not correct. You can always download the application (currently version 3.01) from the TomTom site. It does state that it is an update but that's not correct either - it is a full version. Plus, when you buy your European maps Version 3 the application is also included on the CD (albeit version 3.00).

So your concern is void.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

THanks for clarifying that. I assumed that the European map bundle would not include the software (as it didn't on v2).
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikosF wrote:
I assumed that the European map bundle would not include the software (as it didn't on v2).

Not a problem - you can always download v2.24 from the TomTom site. The registration code runs against the maps, not the software.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's not correct. You can always download the application (currently version 3.01) from the TomTom site. It does state that it is an update but that's not correct either - it is a full version. Plus, when you buy your European maps Version 3 the application is also included on the CD (albeit version 3.00).

Lutz,

Unfortunately your advice was incorrect.

I bought the Maps of Western Europe Upgrade v3 and when I installed it and tried to run it I got an error message "This is an ADD-ON map, please install and activate an original TomTom Navigator 3 map first"

So - I have unfortunately wasted my money following your advice. I should have waited until the USA version 3 was available, since the price for upgrading one or multiple items of software is the same. Now I'm going to have to pay twice Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: