Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Being Removed From AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Being Removed From AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketkid wrote:
Thanks,

But not for an non-paid member.

My comment was meant as to let others know that this not a up-dated version, unless done so with paid membership.

Quite wrong. A brand new download of the CamerAlert App from the Apple Store comes with the opportunity to then download a SINGLE one-off update to the latest database. The first update is FREE. That enables a new person to see what it's like and decide whether to subscribe. No other camera database is free, they ALL require subscription to update. CamerAlert comes with one of the cheapest subscriptions PLUS the two advantages of highly accurate database and top grade performance.

Your opinion is not valid.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pocketkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops...

I stand corrected.

thanks
Map: Canada_Alaska 1085_11364
UK & Ireland 1085_11307
4GB SD card
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, have you had your free download and re-tested?
pocketkid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Found the path to update after a search.

Yes, camera's are currently correct as shown.

But a Hadecs 3 is not shown or indicated, so I've submitted a report with its location and direction if its not already reported.

thanks
Map: Canada_Alaska 1085_11364
UK & Ireland 1085_11307
4GB SD card
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketkid wrote:
OK,

Found the path to update after a search.

Yes, camera's are currently correct as shown.

But a Hadecs 3 is not shown or indicated, so I've submitted a report with its location and direction if its not already reported.

thanks

That's now awaiting verification - we have the Westbound one there, but this is the first report of Eastbound.

MaFt
StevenSwain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: IOS 9.2.1 Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me when we will get a modern update for use on IOS 9.2.1. The current interface is years old and even the website of PocketGPSWorld refers to Cameralert on IOS 4.3. Come on guys, when is the APP being updated to this century?????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with the interface? I like it, I hope they DON'T go messing about with it - I'm at the age where change is dreaded.

StevenSwain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Cameralert APP Reply with quote

The problem with the interface is that it has black bands on iPhones at the top & bottom of the screen. If you are happy with this then fine but if you read the reviews then most folk are not happy. The interface for iPhones needs updating - this one is 3 - 4 years old and believe it or not, technology has moved on. Cameralert is not fit for purpose on iPhone 5 upwards running the latest IOS.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it on iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 9.2.1 and I don't see any problem with it. TBH I can't see any need for it to use the top and bottom to elongate the display. I've just read the reviews and a few, not most mention the black bands. With the extra size of the 6S Plus, the top and bottom are not really needed, so I don't see that as a problem.

StevenSwain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: iPhone 5s Reply with quote

Perhaps if I had an iPhone 6s then I may agree but I have an iPhone 5s. On earlier versions Cameralert fit the screen perfectly but since the IOS updates that's not the case.
Notwithstanding the wider issues of iPhone 5s v iPhone 6s; the black bands at top & bottom screen means my viewing area is quite small. Not everyone has an iPhone 6s with larger screens to start with.
Even after saying all that the APP is tired and aged - even the developers admit that. I understand they are working to bring this APP up to date and my original question remains as to when this is likely to be available?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning the history of this thread, it was back in 2014 that Apple started playing silly beggars and pgpsw couldn't do anything with the App. It was the end of 2015 (see previous page) before they managed to do a tweak which got the all clear from Apple.

Unfortunately, when a new version is released, all previous reviews are put on the back burner, so when you first look, the only reviews you see are for the CURRENT version of the App, released a couple of months ago, with a paltry little thing just to satisfy Apple's ego! So the current version is merely the old version with a little letter i on the front. Hence the few grumbles about the interface. Hence the requests from pgpsw for people to do new reviews for the latest release. If you look at previous version reviews you will find hundreds of very favourable comments.

I have no connection with the developers, so I can only make assumptions - There was no point in pgpsw working on updates during the long time when the very existence of the iOS version was under threat, so it will obviously take time for them to get up to speed. The Android version was regularly updated during the same period, so they don't actually sit twiddling their thumbs while iOS burns. Personally I'm happy enough with the UI on my own phone until they get at the only two matters I want fixed.

StevenSwain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it was Apple that created the problem for pwgps and also that it takes time for them to bring out a revised upgrade to Cameralert. If I remember correctly pwgps did comment on their newsletter some months ago that they were actively working on new version for the iPhone.
All appears to have gone quiet on that front from pwgps but as in all cases I would imagine they have a target date and projected timeline. I was just hoping that someone from the Company might add to this forum when that expected date was likely to be - this week; this month; this year??? Someone must have a reasonable idea.
For what it's worth I've also been a happy subscriber to pwgps for many years and it's only because TomTom won't allow pwgps camera alerts on their new satnavs that I have had to revert to the Cameralert APP on the iPhone.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe I actually bought an iPhone because of CamerAlert? Started with the 3G and updated right through up to the present 6S Plus. CamerAlert is so much better on the iPhone than on the TomToms, which I never upgraded once they started doing away with POI support (so the latest model I had was the GO550). I've got a GO6100 now, simply for the lifetime maps and traffic and even if they did support POI warnings I wouldn't put CA on it because it's so much better on iPhone.

StevenSwain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right - just wish they'd remove the black bands top & bottom for my iPhone 5s.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

StevenSwain wrote:
You are probably right - just wish they'd remove the black bands top & bottom for my iPhone 5s.

Do you use your car's built-in SatNav, a PND, or SatNav on your iPhone?

Like Dennis. I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.2.1 and the black bars are approximately 1 cm top and bottom (in portrait mode) and 1 cm left and right (landscape mode). My previous phone was an iPhone 5 (not 5s or 5c) and I've just booted it up again after upgrading to iOS 9.2.1 - the iPhone 5 also has black bars but they are slightly smaller.

Personally the black bars (on either iPhone 6s Plus or 5) don't bother me for two reasons:
1. The data is accurate and can cope with SPECS.
2. I run CamerAlert in the background with TomTom (UK & Ireland or Europe) in the foreground and thus rely on audio alerts.

The black bars are Apple's fault (as Dennis has previously pointed out). I agree it would be nice to have the whole real estate of the iPhone screen being used. I'm sure that the PGPSW team are developing a new version of CamerAlert but please bear in mind that Apple do seem to be against the idea of speed camera warnings so the PGPSW team have to tread carefully.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: