Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - START 25 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

START 25 review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: START 25 review Reply with quote

Just purchased a START 25. What a disappointment, my mistake by not going and look at one first. The case feels like it wont last 12 months its so light. But the major problem I have is the sound quality, poor volume and the voices are just so tinny, does not compare to my TT ONEv4 or original GO520. Updating was a nightmare with this new to me MyDriveConnect, took well over 2 hours to update maps and install them. Then said it had lost connection to the unit and started to install the updates all over again, yet another 40 mins, just what is it doing. No wonder TT give you lifetime maps, don't expect it to last more than 12 months. I also find the 5" screen to wide, just more info at the sides but not in the direction of travel. Should have purchased the smaller screen version. Overall I would rate this as 4/10. On a closing note there is no route A/B which I use a lot on my old TT's. Would not recommend this unit. Think I will see if I can send it back to TT and get a refund.

Edit - I have now been and tried 2 more START 25's, they perform just the same as mine. On reflection the rating I gave to this model should have been well 0/10. Why, because earlier models performed much better, so a major backward step. The display is to large for the processor, so the screen graphics stutter when turning, no better than the devices of 10 years ago. The screen contrast at night is very poor, the map images are almost not visible, but the lettering is so bright that it glares from the screen. The USB connector on the back of the unit is now very difficult so insert and remove because of its placing in the unit. The menus are slow to respond compared to earlier models. The USB lead is of such cheap quality that it does not bend due to its hard outer plastic casing. The whole experience is just so frustrating. Everything about this unit is just so cheap to try and make more money.

To sum up, this unit so I am told is for beginners or new customers, well if this is what TomTom expects its customers to suffer no wonder their sales are falling. I would be appalled if I was a shareholder to be putting out such a product to my customers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report.

I had access to a Start 25 for a few weeks and I quite liked the screen (probably just impressed by the size....).
I hated the fixed mount.

And I was never sure if the awful sound quality was just on my unit or ifthey were all like that. Seems they all are! Terrible bit of design Evil or Very Mad .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: