Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Add on lighter socket causes loss of Digital traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Add on lighter socket causes loss of Digital traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keenrw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Add on lighter socket causes loss of Digital traffic Reply with quote

Hi

When plugged into the lighter socket on its own my 2598 can pick up digital traffic with out problems but when I add a three way lighter socket so I can use my dash cam and digital radio .. it reverts to the smart phone link traffic and has trouble connecting to the digital traffic , is this normal ?

Thanks
Rich
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea as I don't use a 3 way socket, guess it's not getting enough power so not 'seeing' the power cable/antenna Confused
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably if you unplug the other devices whilst 'live' it gives more power and suddenly jumps into life ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given my experiences of using both digital traffic and smartlink (freezes, crashes etc.) this is probably a good thing! Very Happy
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that it's using the power cable as an antenna and the electronics in the three way is stopping the signal coming through. I don't know the system so this is just speculation. Confused

Gerry
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Diagnostics Reply with quote

keenrw wrote:

when I add a three way lighter socket so I can use my dash cam and digital radio .. it reverts to the smart phone link traffic

Assuming it's just a 'dumb' socket, I would speculate that it's either: voltage-drop caused by the load of the other two devices, or maybe RF interference? (I would have thought the second option much more likely than the first, unless it's really poorly made).

I'm not familiar with the 2598 specifically, but all the Nüvi's I've seen to date have diagnostics that might help. Usually, there's a set accessed by holding the "Speedo" on the dashboard screen that shows you received Traffic Services etc. If you hold the "Time" (or the battery symbol) on the main screen for about 7 seconds, there's another set of diagnostics - the 1st page of which shows the power supply voltage. Accessing this set of diags. will probably cause the GPS receiver to do a 'cold-start' when rebooted.

You might have to hunt around to find them - but I've seen 'em on everything from the Streetpilot C510 to the latest 3598LMT-D.

»

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: