Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkm316_247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: GPS Signal Reply with quote

Hiya,

I am looking for some advice with regards to Garmins and specifically the 2548LT-D.

I have, in the past 2/3 months had issues with TomToms where it has transpired the I was not receiving a GPS signal due to my windscreen but even after downloading TomTom's GPS fix and spending an extra £40 on a re-radiating antenna it still would not work.

Before I make the outlay and purchase the above Garmin, which appears to the best value on the market for my needs (traffic and maps) am I going to have the same issue? - I've already read a lot of reviews but nothing relating to this issue.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
DKM316_247
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model TT have you had probs with? apparently the early ones had trouble with athermic windscreens, but the general consensus is that the later ones are less affected. If the windscreen is blocking the sats from the TT is likely to do the same for the Garmin, unless someone knows differently.

TT's gps fix will not help you with a weak sat signal, it will only help acquire the signals more quickly. The re-radiating antenna should have improved things as long as its aerial is not affected by the same windscreen. (outside the car?)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin 2508, 1490 and 1310 all work without issue through my Ford's 'hot screen' windscreen Wink
dkm316_247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TTs were a 1005 and and 825

The windscreen is a heated one with a sensor for the windscreen wipers.

I found that the GPS was need for any model of TT that was ORIGINALLY from pre April 2013.

The antenna was mounted on the middle of the car roof (magnetic) and then fed through to the car charger (cigarette lighter charger) to the internal antenna which was located just above the TT in the windscreen.

So, as an assumption, it looks like I'm going to have this issue regardless - How do others manage?? a lot of cars / windscreens these days have some form of heating / sensor element due to the tech side of things with the car iteself IE auto wipers etc
dkm316_247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what SUSSAMB was saying it may be worth buying to "give it a go" if his work OK through Ford's "Hot Screen"
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old nuvi (with a wire traffic aerial) works just fine in a Ford with heated front screen and sensor for the wipers.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: