Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lancashire Speed Camera Records 126mph In 30mph Zone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lancashire Speed Camera Records 126mph In 30mph Zone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Lancashire Speed Camera Records 126mph In 30mph Zone Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
A Lancashire speed camera has recorded a vehicle traveling at 126 mph according to a Freedom of Information report.

You may think that is not such an unusual speed, especially on the UK's motorways, but this particular violation took place in a 30mph zone on the A6 Garstang Road, Fulwood.

Two other similar incidents were reported in the area, both 108mph, with one in a 30mph zone and the other 50mph.

Many lesser speeds were also listed - several over twice the limit.

Chief Inspector Debbie Howard of Lancashire Constabulary, who released the figures, commented: "Making Lancashire’s roads safer is a priority for us and we are committed to reducing the number of people killed or seriously injured on Lancashire’s roads. It is recognised that by reducing motorists’ average speed there is a clear link to a reduction in both the number and severity of road casualties."

She continued, "Most collisions in the county are linked to driver errors and behaviour and what we term the "Fatal Four" which is speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, using a mobile phone while driving or driving under the influence of alcohol."

Local Councilor Bobby Cartwright added: "I’m mortified to find this out. What lunatic goes on an A road at that speed? It’s frightening."

The Freedom of Information request covered the last five years.

Source
email icon

exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell were they travelling in/on its not a lot of road to get to that speed and back down Question

Some people must be crazy the road is in a build up area of Preston Exclamation
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which camera .... I'm thinking the one just before the traffic lights and garage near the m55 bridge....

T
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
Which camera .... I'm thinking the one just before the traffic lights and garage near the m55 bridge....

T

I don't think I'd fancy doing that sort of speed down the A6 at Fulwood, the irony is however that it would seem that none of these incidents caused an accident, so they don't really support her claims and I wonder if the offenders were even caught. If, on the other had, I'd been driving at 40mph at 3 in the morning, with little or no chance of causing an accident, I'd be looking at 3 points and a heavy fine
lenfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense tells me that travelling at 126 mph in a built up area is inherently dangerous, whether or not an accident occurs.

Len
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenfish wrote:
Common sense tells me that travelling at 126 mph in a built up area is inherently dangerous, whether or not an accident occurs.

Len

I totally agree, but using examples that didn't support any point of view were a bit pointless, regardless of how stupid or dangerous the driving was.
georgemonaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Lunatic speeds Reply with quote

It does suggest however that the people concerned did not know the roads and were totally unaware of the cameras being there. If the speed has been recorded then they have been caught - unless false plates of course.

My own belief is that use of mobile phones is a lot more dangerous than merely speeding. Add speed and use of phone and you have a deadly cocktail.

One of the first giveaways on a motorway is the sudden decrease in speed (not braking) for no apparent reason. It's the brains way of telling you it cannot handle mobile phone use and drive at the same time. You really need to work at overcoming that, as many do in breaking the law.

I would rather see every stop light have a camera activated if it was ignored. Then again, that's just me.

The car has become a little living room for many drivers and I am not sure how you change that way of thinking/acting.

George
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunatic speeds Reply with quote

georgemonaghan wrote:
My own belief is that use of mobile phones is a lot more dangerous than merely speeding.
I tend to agree with you in general, but 126 in a 30 zone has the edge here I think.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lunatic speeds Reply with quote

georgemonaghan wrote:
It does suggest however that the people concerned did not know the roads and were totally unaware of the cameras being there. If the speed has been recorded then they have been caught - unless false plates of course.

Or the car was stolen so they didn't care if they got any tickets or not as it wouldn't go to them.

MaFt
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lancashire Speed Camera Records 126mph In 30mph Zone Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Local Councilor Bobby Cartwright added: "I’m mortified to find this out. What lunatic goes on an A road at that speed? It’s frightening."

Possibly a cop car then - many of them think they're capable of doing this safely. I have experience of nearly being hit by one in a 30 limit - complete idiot.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lancashire Speed Camera Records 126mph In 30mph Zone Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
Possibly a cop car then - many of them think they're capable of doing this safely. I have experience of nearly being hit by one in a 30 limit - complete idiot.
A bit harsh, calling police drivers idiots. Unless you have done some sort of advanced driving course, they are possibly more 'fully capable of doing this safely' than you. I have had an experience of being 'nearly hit' by an ambulance going through a redlight on the wrong side of the road whilst I, having the greenlight, was unsighted by the stationary traffic he was overtaking. I didn't think that he was being and idiot, he just had a job to do.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did choose the word idiot carefully and anyone overtaking at high speed on a blind bend is an idiot in my opinion whatever the training. When I explained the circumstances to the investigating officer of my complaint he did agree with me and viewed the matter as serious. Sadly the police car driver could not be traced which was strange to me as I was told where the police vehicles were going. It was a robbery at a sub post-office and so they were in a hurry but there was no blue light or siren and it was in a 30mph limit. It was not their training that avoided an accident but myself by swerving onto the pavement to avoid the police car.
To quote the statistics from this news article. There are many similar articles if you google it.
Quote:
Deaths in high-speed police pursuits have risen dramatically, prompting fierce criticism from the Police Complaints Authority. It was revealed last year that fatalities had tripled from nine in the year up to April 1998 to 26 in only seven months last year.

I do know someone in the police force and he has told me that the police have to practice high speed pursuits which is why I suggested that the speeding car which is the subject of this thread may well be a police vehicle. I cannot imagine anyone else doing that speed in a 30?
rf065
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that no photo's have been published to coroborate this story? At least I can't find any.

Reason I mention this is because I don't trust modern technology 100% and feel if someone passed a speed camera in a 30mph limit at 126mph, the police would have wasted no time in publishing the pictures if any existed.

A good example of modern technology is the TomTom Fleet tracking system which registered one of our works vans travelling at 78mph in a 30mph limit. Fortunately when investigated, the van has a speed limiter set at 60mph and a few seconds before and after the 78mph figure was only doing 32mph. An F1 car with Vettell at the wheel would be required for this particular 32 to 78 and back to 32mph in the space of a few car lengths.

Russ
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the error came to light because the driver was reprimanded and refuted it. How diligent would an insurance company have been?, the new breed where they fit a tracker in the car to monitor your driving style in return for cheap premiums.

But I agree, if a photo existed they would certainly be showing it off.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else see the newspaper article about a cat wearing a gps collar, that supposedly at one point was moving at 182 mph? Portsmouth I think it was. Technology of course is infallible as we all know so well.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: