Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - renault r-link
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

renault r-link
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: renault r-link Reply with quote

Hi all just got a new Renault van through work, I want to put the camers database on it, I have looked at the installation instructions for TT Carminat but it give installation for a portable device, can someone point me to a link, preferably an idiots guide, how to load them on, thanks in advance, Cliff
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per our PMs, you can't do it. The R-Link system is as disappointing a satnav as I have ever used. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas all! Hi Dennis I have the same problems you cant put in a house no above 100, the TT camera database is crap!! sorted out the auto night time scheme, think I might get my Start 60 out of the drawer Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous, isn't it. I am running a GO520 and a GO1005 alongside to see if I can get decent service, because "the ideal solution, £800 built in satnav" doesn't do the job even approximately. The R-Link "reliably" never gets connection to Live Services for at least half an hour when I first switch on, then drops connection frequently and fails to stay in decent satellite contact - when I followed it off a dual carriageway yesterday, it carried on along the dual carriageway to turn round at the next junction!!!

Just interesting, yesterday i had a delivery to a car dealership, at number 588-602. I succeeded in inputting 602 to the GO520 and GO1005, but the R-Link said to input between 1 and 100. However, I tried 588 and it worked!?! Perhaps you could try a lower number, just in case it's a mapping fault. Nevertheless, it's a satnav fault, so I wouldn't go looking to find work-arounds, Renault and TomTom need to be complained to.

Have a try to see if this link gets you into the Renault community website/forums. The website is as slow as paint drying, but you could try grumbling (I don't think they monitor it, but you could try).
http://my.renault.co.uk/my_renault/f/default.aspx

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing isn't it?
You would have thought that TT would realise what a tightrope they are treading and how close to the brink PND's/Built in units are that they would want to get if right, first time, every time.
Incredible that they manage to get it so wrong, so frequently
Lemmings come to mind.
Edited by Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anybody from TT is browsing this forum, this is what we want and this is what you need to do to survive...

Make the OS open source to allow APK additions
Make TT customisable
Allow us to add 3rd party POI's
Bring back Itineraries, preferably you should Optimizie them by default.
Ditch the cumbersome "My TT Home" or whatever it is called.
Make Map upgrades "Lifetime"
Charge for traffic, thats Ok as It's the best on the market.
Don't try to compete with PgpsW for SpeedCams but offer to buy in and partner with them, THEY are the best in the Market.
Trust me, I'm a builder (retired).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work for TT and you are reading this, flag this up to your line manager. Honestly. Take it from me. It is a simple formula but you shall become the employee that saved TT from extinction and should be rewarded accordingly.
P.S. But don't ever forget who tipped you the nod! Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update for anybody who cares, my Renault R-Link TomTom satnav system is still almost as bad as it was at first, despite several visits to the dealership - latest they kept it for five weeks!! Almost as bad is because the dealership couldn't get the LMG to work, so they BOUGHT me the latest map.

As for support, despite being stated to be Renault only support, the TomTom website now has mention of it and includes this page of accessories (there are more, e.g. bean bag dashboard mount, but my screen would only get this height)...

CAN YOU SPOT THE DELIBERATE MISTAKE?

tomtompgpsw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Import POI`s into R-Link Reply with quote

Hi, I have just found software that allows you to import OV2 files into an R Link system. It is called RLinkExplorer_122 from a French guy.Here is the address to download it from. http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomtomax.fr%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D40484%23p305553&tl=en .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. But I've just spent all morning trying to do something with this. After many attempts, I decided the link doesn't like my Mac, so I tried with my Windows laptop. Sadly, again the link didn't like me. However, by searching for RLinkExplorer1_22 I got a download. But it wouldn't work for me - maybe my French isn't good enough for the instructions.

However, I am curious that the author seems to be a Carminat user and other Carminat users have thanked him too. From my previous experience with a Carminat, I didn't need anything to look at the files - Win Explorer and Mac Finder did the job perfectly well enough. But he mentions mapsettings.cfg, perhaps they've changed Carminat to this silly RLink format?

tomtompgpsw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis, This is the original website before i google translated it. http://www.tomtomax.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40484

I ran RLinkExplorer from the zip file that i downloaded, then when that opens, in the left hand pane navigate to your SD card, you might need to ensure that you have unhiden your hidden and system protected file options.Then double clicking your drive letter for your SD card should now show 3 or 4 files named TOMTOM.000 TOMTOM.001 etc. You then have to drag say TOMTOM.000 into the right hand pane. You should the see a drive icon with something like ext2 written, you can now double click this and go into the (I think its the) Installed folder then Europe folder and you should see the OV2 files that are there already. Mine just had Renault and Renault Truck in it. All you have to do now is navigate in the left window to your OV2 and BMP files and drag them into the right pane. cheers Tam
Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to order a Kadjar with Rlink2 and installed Tomtom. Will I be able to use the speedcams from this website?? Fingers crossed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless you are some sort of genius. I'm goiung to have another try at the instructions above, but with small expectations.

WARNING. Ensure you get the Renault dealer to activate your R-Link system BEFORE you drive away - go in armed with a new email ID which is needed. It took ages before they eventually twigged they had to do it for mine.

Tripleh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dennis, keep us informed please.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First reaction is the above stuff is Windoze only and I have a Mac. So now I have to dig out my old Win laptop and spend a few hours starting it up and struggling to make it run. This is why I kept it, but the effort is sometimes a bit disheartening!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: