Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beware: Garmin publicly publish your email on Garmin forums
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware: Garmin publicly publish your email on Garmin forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garmin14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Beware: Garmin publicly publish your email on Garmin forums Reply with quote

I am just letting you know ,

You registered your Garmin GPS devices for map update purpose ? You have never heard of forums.garmin.com ?

Surprised, you have an account under YOUR_EMAIL@EMAIL.COM
and it is listed under "memberlist" , eg:

https://forums.garmin.com/memberlist.php?ltr=A&pp=30&sort=lastvisit&order=desc
(note the email addresses)

Wondering why suddenly you get so much spam ? Why your paypal account got hacked ? ..You know who to blame ..Owned to Garmin Evil or Very Mad

PS: Garmin creates an account with your email as username for you, without your knowledge of course.

Last edited by garmin14 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it's only those people silly enough to register as their email as a username that have been listed as such?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wondering why suddenly you get so much spam ?

I suppose if someone harvested the email addresses they could...

Quote:
Why your paypal account got hacked ?

I suspect it takes more than just an email address to "hack" my PayPal account so if some can "hack" PayPal armed only with my email address I'd be asking PayPal questions, not Garmin. Rolling Eyes

Oh and I've checked, I have a three Garmins registered for map updates etc but my email address doesn't appear on that list....
garmin14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Surely it's only those people silly enough to register as their email as a username that have been listed as such?

Not that many people are silly as you think, those people aren't even aware of them having an account on garmin forum.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why doesn't Paul's email address appear? But I agree, it's not a good idea to have your email address published all over the place like that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
So why doesn't Paul's email address appear? But I agree, it's not a good idea to have your email address published all over the place like that.

The old MyGarmin site which you use to manage your device uses an email address or Username and password to login. I logged in using my email address and password. It displayed my old username at the top of the screen.

Quote:
Not that many people are silly as you think, those people aren't even aware of them having an account on garmin forum.

I then went to the forum and I was automatically logged in with my username. Under my profile for the forum my Join Date is today 16-2-2014. I've had a MyGarmin account since Christmas 2005. So it's true it automatically sets up an account at the forum but only AFTER you log into the forum and lists the username (or your email address) in the directory but it's down to the user to change this.

However whilst the bit about email harvesting is (potentially) true the bit about being the reason your PayPal got hacked is overblown.
garmin14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PaulB2005, not true, I cannot change or hide my email as the username myself. That is why I am so and I want other people with similar situation to know. Yeah, I contacted Garmin and they acted so indifferent. Evil or Very Mad
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a domain (or two) and use a unique email address for each site I register with - then I can tell who has sold email address/caught a virus etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: