Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rear facing average speed cameras on M1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear facing average speed cameras on M1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: a bit off and on subject Reply with quote

stephenbeharrell wrote:
Is that a manufacturers logo on the speed camera?
Are you talking about the top of the right hand camera? If so, it's not in a good advertising position. The 'batman' bits in the support spandrel are standard on SPECS cameras.
Quote:
I can't believe s many drivers that go through these systems at high speed are that daft.
But they are.

Last edited by M8TJT on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
stephenbeharrell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was, it looked to me like the old Motorola sign. I presumed it to be a logo as it does not look structural.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
Don't they need to be able to see the drivers face for a successful prosecution?

They identified THIS silly guy without a face pic or number plate.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be from a Truvelo type cam not a SPECS cam Rolling Eyes It even says that in the article
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
That would be from a Truvelo type cam not a SPECS cam Rolling Eyes It even says that in the article

I know that but it answers the legal question about needing a face pic - the type of camera doesn't matter to the law does it?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you meant the Batman symbol :D I don't think the advertising restriction (if any) would apply, as it's only going to be .gov who buys them and I think they might have a monopoly anyway, but I might be wrong on that too :D :D
Shalaco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Average speed cameras. Reply with quote

Hi, Hate to tell you but all truvelo average speed cameras, that i know of point at the rear of the vehicle.
There are three sets either side of a dual carriageway i use regularly.
One motorist has been done 8, Yes Eight, times on these.
It is the A 38 section, Near Lichfield, Staffs, between A 5 Weeford Roundabout and the A 453 Bassetts Pole roundabout.
That speed limit is 60 MPH.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we were to ask Darren (Author) he might admit the actual picture used at the head of this thread is NOT of the M1 cameras at all - that's a single carriageway road and the phone number on the sign is for Tarmac in Norfolk.

I have searched diligently (for me) for the report of how many motorists were caught by the speeders going through the average speed cameras M4/M5 area, but I canm't find it. But it was a helluva lot!

I've seen rear facing specs on occasions in the past, in combination with forward facing ones on the same post, but those on M1 are all rear facing. I never did understand why they had them forward facing in the first place.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most are rear facing in Switzerland and have been since at least 1974 when I arrived here.
reader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: A23 Handcross roadworks rear facing cameras Reply with quote

There have been rear facing SPEC cameras on the A23 road works around Handcross at southern end of M23 for over the last year and certainly in one direction i.e. south they are within les than 50 yards of the derestriction sign for the end of the 40 mph road works restriction. I wonder how many people have been caught because of this sneaky move? It would be good to know if this is legal as all the cameras on the road works here are rearwards facing and they are advising that they are catching towards a100 motorists each week!

Please let us know. Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What difference does it make if they forward or rear face other than so that they can catch M/Cs?

@shalaco. We know that most SPECS average speed cameras used to be forward facing, but not all are now. That is the point of this thread.
Incidentally, most Truvelos are forward facing to take a pic of the driver and they are not average speed cameras. So are you talking about average speed camera (SPECS controlled zones) or are you talking about instantaneous (almost) Truvelo type cameras?. I assume that your widespread knowledge of every speed camera in UK is the basis of your statement?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A23 Handcross roadworks rear facing cameras Reply with quote

reader wrote:
in one direction i.e. south they are within les than 50 yards of the derestriction sign for the end of the 40 mph road works restriction. I wonder how many people have been caught because of this sneaky move?

My post on a similar thread - the idea of Average Speed cameras is to make drivers stay below the limit for the entire length of the area - it is not "legal" to speed up as they reach the end, not until they reach the de-restriction sign, so catching offenders seems pretty legal to me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Suefairweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Rear Facing Specs Reply with quote

Got these on the A6097 in Notts - once a favourite for a blast on a bike. They also have a mast with sets of four floodlight looking things just before and just after the Specs mast. They are black, but in the darkness have a dull red glow - possibly infra-red?

Anyone know what they're for? They are definitely part of the Specs setup. Nothing turns up on Google.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
What difference does it make if they forward or rear face other than so that they can catch M/Cs?

Quite a few years ago the explanation I was given in Switzerland was that as personal car-mounted radar detection equipment was NOT illegal (at that time, it may be now, I'm not sure) the police detectors were mounted in that way so that by the time the device gave it's warning you were nicked!
timtech
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras on the A23 have been rear-facing and in operation for over a year. Caught 11000 in the year.
Quite a lot of drivers obviously failed mathematics at school! Wink

According to the Scamera Partnership they start enforcement at 46mph, which is the normal 10%+2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: