Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just bought a new S20 - but . . .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought a new S20 - but . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barkis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Just bought a new S20 - but . . . Reply with quote

Just treated myself to a new Start20 to replace my defunct GO520. Eagerly downloaded “MyDrive” to start the process and - lo and behold! I get an onscreen message telling me: “Please note that you can only link one device per account”.

Great! So, how do I delete my “deceased” Tomtom from my account and substitute my new satnav? Or have I wasted my money if I can’t add my new device?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the new one just replaces the old, so it shouldn't be a problem in your case.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I thought that the new one just replaces the old, so it shouldn't be a problem in your case.
But Barkis says that it is a problem for him and wants a solution Rolling Eyes

@ Barkis I don't have a TT but believe that you need to use a different email address for the new one. I am not sure about this, but someone who knows how to do it will be along in a while to tell you what to do. It can be done, so don't wory Very Happy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct......

Use a different email address than the one used for the prior unit.

Also, see here:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/How-to-change-the-ownership-of-a-device-or-swap-an-old-device/m-p/544200#M59777
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand why they still insist on a different email though. Apparently anything that looks like an email address will do, but you do have to remember it. DennisN has dozens as he (for some inexplicable reason) goes through TTs at a great rate of knots.
Barkis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated! I thought that this would mean getting another email address . . . which I really don’t want to do. But, hey - Tomtom calls the tune and we have to obey! Not Worthy

They must have thousands upon thousands of “dead” registrations because of their rigidity of one unit to one email address. Simplest answer would be for customers to delete their old machine from their account and register the new - but obviously, that’s far too simple for them.

Think I should have bought that nice little Garmin I saw!! Laughing

Interestingly, after trying to register the new machine - and failing, I now regularly get a pop-up from them about my S20 telling me there are 4 updates to download!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I have to chuckle at how somebody considers it a treat to switch from a 520 to a Start20 - but you'll learn for yourself. Twisted Evil

Looking at the TomTom support link, it seems to have the first 8 instructions as superfluous - in my previous "dozens for some inexplicable reason" I have only ever thought it necessary to simply use instruction 9 to change the linked device. The old device doesn't need to be registered in order to sell it - the new owner simply registers it as a new device with his own email address, just like we all do when we buy our first TT - it isn't already registered, is it? That support link is useful to help people selling on via ebay, for example. They can sell and post off the old TT, but only they know the password so they won't tell the buyer the password until they've received the money. Not, I hasten to add, a foolproof method - the new owner can simply register it as I mention above! Just as the pin number is not foolproof (do they still do pin numbers? I never bother so I've not noticed with some of my recent "dozens").

It has often been our recommendation to use a new email address, but it is NOT obligatory. The problem has been that TT cannot devise a security system which allows you to register more than one device under only one email address - some people only have one email address and find it alarming when they can't register their own and their spouse's TT device on the same computer and under the one email address. Imagine if we could only have one mobile phone registered at our home address? What would the spouses and kids do? That's where TT have let us down.
Barkis wrote:
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated! I thought that this would mean getting another email address . . . which I really don’t want to do. But, hey - Tomtom calls the tune and we have to obey!.... They must have thousands upon thousands of “dead” registrations because of their rigidity of one unit to one email address.
Well, they've got a lot for me - and as my ISPs allow several addresses per account, when TT do their regular junk mailing to owners, I still get about 8 copies of the same email, to all the different email addresses.

Using the same email address to register the new device against the old account can lead to alarm and confusion - your account can be cluttered with previous purchases and if they are not compatible with the new device it might give you a headache. Many years ago it once worked to my advantage - I had a lesser spec model onto which I was able to download a previously purchased better map because I used the same email address to take over the new device.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN has dozens
Not any longer - and I never did have dozens. I HAVE had dozens, but at present I have only four and that's probably as many as I've ever had at one time.

Right now, in order of "age" of system I have TT Nav 6 on an HTC, GO520, GO550 Live and GO1005 Live. And now that I've got a crappy Renault TomTom built in system, I need to take at least two of them as backups to show me where to go. Those five are listed not only in age order, but also in descending order of excellence - i.e. with the Renault worst of all! An expensive (£800) built in system and I daren't go out with only that, I need to take another two to get me there!!

tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a GMail address available then you can use that one for multiple TomTom devices. An email address such as myaddress@gmail.com can be registered with TomTom as variously m.yaddress@gmail.com and my.address@gmail.com and mya.ddress@gmail.com etc. TomTom considers each of those to be different but GMail ignores the dots in the local part and sends mail to all those "sub addresses" to the same mailbox.
Barkis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm. I have to chuckle at how somebody considers it a treat to switch from a 520 to a Start20 - but you'll learn for yourself. Twisted Evil

Thanks for your comment - I’m glad you found it amusing! For me - the 520 is a great device; unfortunately, in the recent past its battery doesn’t take / hold / or whatever - a charge. Embarrassingly, I have to confess to being a non-technical person - my only interest in satnavs is in getting me from A to B safely - nothing more - nothing less.

Recently, the 520 suddenly “lost” the maps (no idea as to how or why) and, as I’ve had that device for a number of years, realised that it's time to be replaced. For me, now that I’m retired, down-sizing is the answer for a number of things - including my motoring - and my income! For me, the device I have purchased will, I am sure, be more than adequate for my motoring.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
DennisN has dozens
Not any longer - and I never did have dozens. I HAVE had dozens, but at present I have only four....
That's what I meant Dennis. Perhaps I didn't word my comment succinctly enough for pedants Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkis wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Thanks for your comment - I’m glad you found it amusing! For me - the 520 is a great device; unfortunately, in the recent past its battery doesn’t take / hold / or whatever - a charge. Embarrassingly, I have to confess to being a non-technical person - my only interest in satnavs is in getting me from A to B safely - nothing more - nothing less.
I didn't really find it amusing, nor was I trying to put you down - that was rueful humour at your use of the wording "treat myself to..." because I think (and I believe I'm not alone) that the Start20 is inferior to your 520 (or, to agree with your own comment, the 520 is not just a great device, it's a greater one than the Start20). Not that it's your fault, just TomTom dumbing down and dropping stuff which you have been accustomed to over the years. In your position and knowing what I know, I'd have recommended you getting the 520 repaired, probably at lower cost than a new device! Not that you are alone either - I recently bought a GO1005 Live - optimistically. But wished I'd saved myself the price, within hours of switching it on!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: