Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - adding poi's to Garmin nüvi 2597LMT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

adding poi's to Garmin nüvi 2597LMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate3000
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: adding poi's to Garmin nüvi 2597LMT Reply with quote

Hi
Having had a tomtom for ages and then the Iphone app, i want to go back to a real satnav in the car, so was thinking about buying the Garmin nüvi 2597LMT. How easy is it to add your own POI's to it like you can with a tomtom or should I stick to the TomTom unit.

Thanks for your help in reply to this...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Garmin user myself, but I do know that you need to compile all your POI files into one place and then use a utility prog. called "POI Loader" to upload them all in one go to the Garmin.
If you want to update just one POI category file then you need to change it in that folder and then upload everything one again.

Why not have a look at the instructions for installing the PGPSW camera database for TomTom and for Garmin to get an idea of the differences?

Garmin instructions

TomTom instructions
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try Garmin's "BaseCamp"
http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm not a Garmin user myself, but I do know that you need to compile all your POI files into one place and then use a utility prog. called "POI Loader" to upload them all in one go to the Garmin.
If you want to update just one POI category file then you need to change it in that folder and then upload everything one again.

That's not quite true. You don't have to load them all at one time, although POI Loader always assigns the same name which will overwrite the file you've already sent unless you do as I do. Simply rename the file every time you send a POI file to your nuvi Wink
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of my POIs in subdirectories of a main directory. POI loader will run them all in when selecting the main directory. Each POI category will be individually listed on the sat-nav. This is a good way to keep everything in one place & in sync. For example, I could update Screwfix & Asda from PGPSW, putting them in the sub directory & when I am ready to update the sat-nav, they will all go in together. It only takes a few seconds for the upload.

The only exception to this is the PGPSW speed cams. As there would be too many speed cam categories in the sub directory, POI Loader will grumble & not load them. This is not a problem. I have the PGPSW speed cams in a separate directory & use 'csv converter' from this web site to update them.
Speed cams get updated weekly so having them in a separate directory works well.

POI loader from Garmin is great, you have to use this to put POIs on the sat-nav & can do a whole batch as described above. You can also set the 'warn when near' when doing so. Far easier & quicker than tomtom, having to use a file manager on the PC and then setting up all of the warnings for each POI on the sat-nav itself.

However, having used tomtom, I do not like the way garmin will not let you adjust the POI preferences on the sat-nav like can be done on the (old) tomtom. For example, with garmin, you display ALL custom POIs or NONE.
Once POIs are loaded onto garmin you cannot adjust the warn when near features. The only way to do this is back to the PC and reload them with POI Loader.

Given the choice, I would buy a tommin or a gartom. But as yet they are not in production.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: SW version 4 now available Reply with quote

as a side, just connected my 3598 to garmin express & a new 4.0 version is available. seems it adds some language files.

Now my main question/grumble,

How do you easily get the custom POIs in a order to suit the user?

Good old tomtom orders them in most often used, which is great, however Garmin as ever is a pita.

I have found that garmin lists them in the order that they are loaded,
so for example, if I load on all of the pgps cams from my pgps folder and then load all of my custom POIs that I keep ordered in subdirectories of another folder, garmin will first list all of the speed cam POIs and then list all of the other POIs, which will be in alphabetical order as this is the way they are organised by Windows in the sub directory.

Now what a pita, I use a custom POI file many times a day and unfortunately it starts with a V. So I have to select where to...custom poi..... and then scroll through all the different pgps camera types, then through all of the other custom POIs, (B&Q, Screwfix, Selco etc) to finally arrive at my V.

I have found the only way round this is to rename my custom POI subfolders putting 'aa_" and "ab_" etc in the folder name so they list in the order I want them, next have ro remove all POIs from garmin, then install my custom POIs then install the pgps camera files.

Good old tomtom displays them in most often used, which is great & you can just keep adding or deleting individual POI categories at will, however Garmin as ever is a pita when it comes to usability.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIs you use will be in the History folder, with the most recent/most often used towards the top ... so easier to find than trawling through POIs Wink
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

individual POIs will be in the history folder, however I am going from one 'V' POI to another, to another, to another..... and may not return to a recently visited 'V' POI for a long time and even then to use the history tab you need to have remembered that you have recently been to a particular POI. NOw in my 'V' custom POIs I have over 3000 locations & after going from one to another, hour after hour, day after day, week after week.... they all become a blur. I could not tell you where I was yesterday, let alone last week. Just hope I never have to prove my whereabouts to plod for elimination purposes Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your problem Very Happy

In that case can't you on your model tap the Where to, Personalise icon and put your 'v folder' onto the 'Where to' screen? I've done that on my 2508 for POI categories I most often use.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

I can on the tomtom.

garmin allows me to add a shortcut for 'custom POIs' but not an individual POI category, for example 'V'.

I have made a where to..Custom POI shortcut, but I still have to wade through all of the POI categories until I get to 'V'. This is twelve button pushes, then from here I still have to tap in the actual 'V' I am going to within the 'V' custom POI category!

(in tomtom, I just prod the screen, touch the 'V' icon & tap in the name)

Now admittedly I can just tap in the required custom poi in the 'search box' however this takes ages as it searches all POIs and custom POIs. Whilst I use 'V' the most, I have others, 'M' and 'O' for example. There is a fair chance that within each of these different custom POIs there will be POIs with the same name, but the location will be totally different.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, it's only for normal POI categories Embarassed

Try making the suggestion here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I have made loads of suggestions to garmin since moving from tomtom to my 3598 and realising how bad garmins are compared to tomtom.
To date nothing has happened, but I don't really expect them to do anything.

Another great annoyance is 'drive to start of the route' !!! now the whole point of sat-nav it to get me from start to destination, how on earth do I know where the start of the route is? Quite often I drive off, just to see the girlie pink line on the sat nave disappearing off the screen. Tomtom directs me right from the start and tells me to make a u turn first :o)

Garmin still will not tell me why they feel the need to put macdonnalds icons all over my screen. My guess is that they have been paid a big wedge to do so.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to get an option to choose whether to 'navigate to start of route' on my 1490 but don't on my 2508, navigates me to start of route without a prompt.

When are you seeing a 'drive to start of route' message??

I'm sure you're right on the mac payment, there seem to be a few others who have also paid Wink
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every day I get a 'drive to highlighted route'
my car is parked in a side street & sat-nav turned off.
Next day, get in car, put sat-nav in cradle & it springs to life & finds satellites, neither car position or sat-nav have moved.
Tap in my route. girlie pink line shows on main road, 20 yards behind me and garmin girl announces 'drive to highlighted route'.
Why does it not plan my journey from the start of my journey?
tomtom will & actually gets me to drive forward & do a left, left, left to bring me onto the main road.
Now this is ok as I know the local roads & to do a left, left, left on my own. However when I am in some strange location and do not know how to get to the start (it is not always as simple as a pink line in the main road behind me) it is most frustrating to find I am heading in the wrong direction & have to turn round.

I know garmin has a loyal following & people will defend it, but as I spend my life on the road relying on sat-nav, I know which one of the two does it's job the best.

Of course I can only compare the sat-navs I have used, tomtom300, tomtom go (both low end units) & garmin 3598, top of the range. I would love to get my mitts on a tomtom 9000 to see how that compares.

I have only found macdonalds added to my map against my will so far, other than the generic restaurants and junk food outlets, cashpoints and petrol stations. I did email garmin support complaining & asking for it to be removed. I did get a reply telling me how to do it, but of course it does not work, it is all POIs or none in the garmin world.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the road you're on isn't on the map then? Otherwise I can't understand why you'd get that message Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: