Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS signal at Heathrow Airport
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS signal at Heathrow Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richmond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: GPS signal at Heathrow Airport Reply with quote

On my two most recent visits to Heathrow Airport, my satnav has failed to show the correct position as I leave the airport. In both cases I had parked in a multi story for 30 mins to an hour. As I left the tunnel to head to the M4, the satnav showed a wrong position, by several hundred yards. On the first occasion it sorted itself out after 5 or 10 mins, on the second, it was wonky all the way home (30 mins), then sorted itself out by the next time the car was used (a day or two later).

I assume that it is a malfuntion of the kit, but it has not happenned anywhere else. The kit is the Audi built in MMI hard drive (not DVD) system.

Is it just me?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped some people off at Terminal 5 last week, using Navigon on my phone and it worked fine. The only problem later on the way home after receiving an incoming call Navigon shuts down and restarts. Of course being on my own, I can't drive and press the buttons to select destination etc, so the phone eventually gives me the black screen and Navigon is useless until I either stop and reset it or do it when I get home.
Navigon doesn't close every time I get an incoming call, sort of random, but if I have Camera Alert running as well, that sometimes crashes at the amed time, or it will stay open but I don't get any camera warnings.
Wasn't always like this, seem to think when the phone was updated to Android 4.1.2 the issues started.

Anyway, I digress, to answer your post, no my GPS was fine going to terminal 5 and back.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will almost certainly lost the sats in the carpark, and set off some time later and the device had a problem locating itself. As it uses triangulation, if you are moving as well as the sats, it will take much longer to get a good position 'lock'. Probably nothing to do with the device, but insufficient time to get a good lock, that's why it worked OK later
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot he said Smile
richmond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought of the 'loss of signal in multi storey' explanation, but I have never noticed it taking so long to find a signal in a similar situation elsewhere (the second time, it took hours to sort itself out). Maybe being indoors and then shortly after being in a tunnel (not a very long one) gives it a fit of the vapours.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether this is related but a couple of weeks ago (about the time of this initial post) I also suffered slow GPS initial acquisition (about 16:00).

Normally, after I leave my office underground car park I get a lock within a few minutes. It was taking up to 10 mins. This is a built in system.

I wonder if there was some form of maintenance going on ?

Now all back to normal.

I am also in the Heathrow area
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: