Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crashes every 20 minutes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crashes every 20 minutes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Crashes every 20 minutes Reply with quote

CameraAlert keeps crashing about every twenty minutes and I get the message "Unfortunately CameraAlert has stopped working", necessitating restarting the app while driving. After restarting CA works for about twenty minutes before stopping again. My phone is a Nexus 4 (16 GB) with Android 4.2.2, CA version 1.3.10.765 and latest database. I have the app Daily Roads Voyager running at the same time which is unaffected. The phone is connected to a Skoda Columbus RNS510 via Bluetooth. This and everything else on the phone works fine and the phone itself does not freeze, just CA. I am sure I have all the corect settings but I do not know if crash reports are automatically sent to you. There is nothing in /Android/data/com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert/files. I have checked the Show Diagnostics box but cannot see any information. Where is it? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show Diagnostics will show some text in the corner of the map for speed, heading, memory usage etc.

On restarting the app it should prompt you to submit a crash report. If it doesn't then we might need you to run some logging software on the device.

My mind has gone blank as to what it's called but I know lbendlin has posted about it before so I'll have a search through the forums to find it and post back in a bit.

When it crashes is there anything common between them? E.g. is it as you approach, say, a certain camera type?

Another thing to try is (if you have a subscription) clearing the app's cache and data then reloading the latest database - just in case the database has got corrupted some how.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to try too:

In settings / advanced settings can you 'turn off' (untick) 'use network location' and see if that helps.

The logging app is called 'alogcat' and you use it as mentioned here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=597119#597119

MaFt
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MaFt. I have downloaded alogcat and had it running when CA stopped again. However silly me managed to lose the log file. I think I have now worked out how to save it. How do I send it to you when I finally manage to save it?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can you send it to support AT pocketgpsworld DOT com

Ignore the automated response, we will still see it - please put the subject as "CamerAlert Crash Report - alogcat"

Thanks

MaFt
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt, Still having trouble getting alogcat to generate reports. Reading other forums, seems like a change in Android to stop reading of other apps log files. Have enabled Developer Options in Settings but the items for 'take bug report' and 'power menu bug reports' are greyed out and cannot be accessed. Must be a 4.2.2 thing. Is it worth uninstallng and reinstalling CA?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall and reinstall is certainly worth a try. Would have been nice if we could work out what was causing it though...!

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in an "a"? I use the app called LogCat, works fine for me, maybe you too?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AliOnHols
AliOnHols wrote:
What's in an "a"? I use the app called LogCat, works fine for me, maybe you too?

In the "a" is aLogcat (free)-logcat Shocked Wink

Take Care
TheQuest Cool
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven hundreds of miles and tried every conceivable combination of settings, I can confirm that the problem lies with Bluetooth. To recap, I have a Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 and the car audio is a Skoda Columbus (same as VW RNS510) with latest firmware. I also run the Daily Roads Voyager app at the same time. The ONLY combination which works for me is to have Bluetooth OFF in Android Settings and to have Audio Output to Device Speaker. This means I cannot use the handsfree phone. If Bluetooth is activated, CA will crash after 15-20 minutes. It makes no difference whether running map or list mode, whether the other app is running or not, or which app is in the foreground. It is not possible to copy log files in Andoid 4.2, so alogcat will not work.
Digboiboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still early days, but the upgrade to Android 4.3 seems to have fixed the Bluetooth issue.
DaveLDaveL
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: I have had this error for the past 3 years Reply with quote

I have had this error for at least the past three years, over two different phones.

Previous phone was a HTC HD2, current phone is a HTC One X running 4.0.3 and CA is version 1.3.10.765.

I do not have Bluetooth running at all and most of the time only have CA running in map mode. I do not have 'network location' ticked.

I have been sending the report error but I am guessing that these are not received.

I only know the App has stopped working when I see that some of the map squares that download are black. This is my clue that I should stop and restart and then I get the error message "Unfortunately CameraAlert has stopped working". If you ignore the black map square as you drive on they disappear and everything seems to be working. However from this point on you get no warnings.

I have spent some time trying to see where this is happening but with no luck. Only thing I have noticed is that it seems more common after a speed change where the map auto zooms.

Regards Dave
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I have had this error for the past 3 years Reply with quote

DaveLDaveL wrote:

I only know the App has stopped working when I see that some of the map squares that download are black. This is my clue that I should stop and restart and then I get the error message "Unfortunately CameraAlert has stopped working". If you ignore the black map square as you drive on they disappear and everything seems to be working. However from this point on you get no warnings.

I have spent some time trying to see where this is happening but with no luck. Only thing I have noticed is that it seems more common after a speed change where the map auto zooms.

Regards Dave

It sounds like you don't have a data connection and that's stopping the map tiles from loading. Next time it happens, see if you can check your emails or browse a website you've not visited (to make sure it's not cached)

MaFt
DaveLDaveL
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what your saying but this is not really an option.

If I'm doing 70 on the motorway checking emails or a website is not easy.

Are you saying that a lost connection will cause CA to fail?

When this happens the map display process pauses and then keeps on working as does the gps location on the map.

However at this point I know that the warnings will now stop until I restart the App.

Are the map display and warning message two different processes? If so then it seems that a loss of data signal is causing the two processes to stop talking to each other.

I am about to do a 200 mile trip this Sunday so any tests you want done should be possible a number of times.

Dave
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was basing my assumptions on you saying that the map squares 'go black'. To me this means they are not loading. The app crashing could be related, but if the crash is caused by a loss of data then we need to see if it *is* a loss of data connection that is causing the affects you see.

On your long trip will you have a passenger?

Also, when you restart the app does it prompt you to email us the crash logs?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: