Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Land Rover Evoque
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Land Rover Evoque
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r1255
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Land Rover Evoque Reply with quote

Hi resently bought a new Land Rover Evouque only to find the sat nav doesn't show speed cameras.
I have a Mac computer
Can I down load the speed camera data base in a format the Mac will understand and load it onto my sat nav Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW obviously cannot buy every sat-nav model that comes out and certainly cannot buy every car that comes with a built-in unit!
So I'm afraid there has to be some detective work on your part. Assume no-one has ever seen your set-up.

The usual question we ask first is:

Does the user manual or the display mention adding "user POIs" or "third-party POIs" at all?
Being able to add those is the first key to being able to add the PGPSW camera locations.

Secondly, is there any mention of a proximity warning system for as you get near those POIs?
Obviously having the camera locations on the map is not very useful if you have to stare at the screen constantly to see if one is approaching.

Also, how does the Sat-nav update it's software or maps? Does it have an SD card slot? A USB connection?
pikacu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I downloaded the file from pocketgpsworld.com (£19.99 for a years subscription) as a CSV file.

"Download Speed Camera Database 11.073 (17 Jul 13)" - icon on the right of this forum

I then used a free converter program GPXtoPOI

(Windows)
http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html
(Mac)
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/mac/MacGarminTools/

This program converted the downloaded file form CSV format to GPX format

Copy the GPX file to a USB stick and connect in the Evoque

then

From NAV menu, touch More..

Select Stored Locations

Touch My POI

Select Add

Then select the GPX file on the USB stick and it will download the file to the Nav system

You can then select Edit

and choose to pick a sound to play and an Icon

The chosen Icon is displayed on the map and the chosen sound is played on approach

Hope that helps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, pikacu.

So it looks like the Evoque requires GPX format.

Out of interest, rather than converting a CSV file to GPX, did you try the "OTHER - GPX" format download directly from this site? (It's further down the drop-down list of formats).

If you did try it, did it not work?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you did try it, did it not work?
And if you didn't, give it a go and tell us whether the direct GPX download works or not Very Happy Supreme Angel
dcw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Range Rover Evoque and the .gpx download works but, as far as I can see, the speed rated files have to be loaded individually which is impractical. You therefore have to load the single files and can only assign one of the three standard audio chimes to them (one of which sounds like an ice cream van). So, no voice alert and no speed limit notification on screen. Not a patch on my old Garmin Nuvi. Annoying because the GPS system is integrated with the audio system so you'd think that there would be a way to get .mp3 files working! I'll keep looking but if anyone finds a practical way to get the voice alerts and speed rated files working please tell us.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems ridiculous that most manufacturers have taken the stance that they're not supporting user poi, especially when considering what they charge for their built in Sat Nav
haggyhaigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Evoque Speed Cameras download Reply with quote

I am sorry to bother you...But I tried to follow your excellent instruction but as I am very new to this...I seem to have got lost. HELP!!!
I just (today) paid the £19.99...and although I downloaded the CSV file...I then got stuck not knowing which bit of this file needed converting. I went to the Windows free converter you said..... but my Virus protection wouldnt let me. (ESET Smart Security)...So went into that and disabled protection..(I have enabled afterwards) and it did let me Download....but ...now I am so confused. I know...What an idiot we have here...But, I really need a step by step guide (I know that you already did this...But I cant get as far as the Putting it on a USB Stick) Do you have any thoughts??? well..printable thoughts..Laughing Out Loud I will wait a while for your answer before going on different routes. Thanks ..Tony

pikacu wrote:
Hi Guys

I downloaded the file from pocketgpsworld.com (£19.99 for a years subscription) as a CSV file.

"Download Speed Camera Database 11.073 (17 Jul 13)" - icon on the right of this forum

I then used a free converter program GPXtoPOI

(Windows)
http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html
(Mac)
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/mac/MacGarminTools/

This program converted the downloaded file form CSV format to GPX format

Copy the GPX file to a USB stick and connect in the Evoque

then

From NAV menu, touch More..

Select Stored Locations

Touch My POI

Select Add

Then select the GPX file on the USB stick and it will download the file to the Nav system

You can then select Edit

and choose to pick a sound to play and an Icon

The chosen Icon is displayed on the map and the chosen sound is played on approach

Hope that helps.
StewieDee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Evoque sat nav speed camera data Reply with quote

Hi,
I too would be interested to know which files need to be converted.
Although I am computer literate to an extent this is all new to me yet I have found the advice most useful.
However the link to the converters does not work and return an error 404.
Can someone help here please? Is there an alternative site available?
Stewie
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stewie and welcome to the PGPSW forums. I can't help directly, but there is a bunch of stuff on converting files here.
StewieDee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Safety Camera data LR Evoque Reply with quote

Many thanks M8TJT for those links. I'll be trying it out soon and will post results.
Stewie
putt4par
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcw wrote:
I recently got a Range Rover Evoque and the .gpx download works but, as far as I can see, the speed rated files have to be loaded individually which is impractical. You therefore have to load the single files and can only assign one of the three standard audio chimes to them (one of which sounds like an ice cream van). So, no voice alert and no speed limit notification on screen. Not a patch on my old Garmin Nuvi. Annoying because the GPS system is integrated with the audio system so you'd think that there would be a way to get .mp3 files working! I'll keep looking but if anyone finds a practical way to get the voice alerts and speed rated files working please tell us.

Hi,
I too have an Evoque. I did download the individual speed camera files and it did not take too long to download.
I soon got fed up with the standard chimes so as a compromise turned them off and put the excellent CamerAlert ap on my Iphone, its the best compromise I have found at the moment.
StewieDee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thank you for the assistance. Now, thanks to IT savvy son, have been able to set up the sat-nav on my Evoque.
ElectricGhost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Land Rover Evoque Reply with quote

The guidance given re the Range Rover Evoque is well out of date and, as far as I can ascertain, it is no longer possible to load Pocket GPS World speed camera points of interest on to the current navigation system.

Firstly, the message giving installation instructions refers to two websites - both of which have nothing to do with this topic.

Secondly, although the Evoque used to have a "MORE" button, this is no longer the case. It therefore appears that the points of interest cannot be loaded on to the navigation system.

Thirdly, having contacted Range Rover for advice, they tell me that it is not possible to add points of interest to those already available.

If I am wrong, can someone please tell me how to go about installing the Pocket GPS World speed camera points of interest (and please do not direct me to a website that has nothing to do with the matter). If I am correct, should Pocket GPS World not be removing the Evoque for its list?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Land Rover Evoque Reply with quote

ElectricGhost wrote:
Thirdly, having contacted Range Rover for advice, they tell me that it is not possible to add points of interest to those already available.
Honda told me exactly the same about my Honda satnav. They were wrong. You can. But you have to do a full map update (reinstall the existing one) at the same time. But it is possible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: