Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - observations of 2 days with the GO 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

observations of 2 days with the GO 500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uklee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: observations of 2 days with the GO 500 Reply with quote

Just couldn't wait for the always connected unit so opted for the G0 500. Order last Tuesday and arrived on Friday.

So far I'm generally happy with the unit but many will not be.

Firstly the maps on the G0 500 are old maps -the latest version is expected around the end of July.

No problem connecting the unit to the iPhone -however if you are making numerous calls via Bluetooth then you need to remember the live traffic will not update. I visited my parents on saturday, on the way back my sister called and I was speaking to her for around an hour via handsfree bluetooth connection in car ended up in a jam on the A12. I'm sure the Go would have rerouted me, but the data will not work whilst a voice call is in process. Just something to be aware if opting for the phone connect option. TT state:

On average, if you drive for an hour per day during peak time traffic, you will use approximately 7MB data per month. This is less than the equivalent of downloading or streaming 2 music tracks per month (which use around 5MB each).

Also you need to have your phone with you - and best to have it charging as well, I guess the drain the phone battery will be heavy.

In central London the screen can look messy with live traffic buildings and your routing being displayed altogether.

My device is not be found when I plug it into the laptop my the my tomtom software. Will call tech tomorrow. Also tired it in my mac and still states no device found.

Before departing with you cash do read up because their are a number of options which are no longer available such as :

NO itinerary planning
No hands free calling or voice commands
No twitter or local search

Lee
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Twitter, so there is at least one improvement then Laughing
uklee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
No Twitter, so there is at least one improvement then Laughing

Laughing Out Loud I don't think anyone will be complaining about the lost of this feature

Lee
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: observations of 2 days with the GO 500 Reply with quote

uklee wrote:

NO itinerary planning

No POIs either...

Those, and the itinerary planning ARE promised for later though.
uklee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: observations of 2 days with the GO 500 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
uklee wrote:

NO itinerary planning

No POIs either...

Those, and the itinerary planning ARE promised for later though.

The problem Tom Tom have is they have made statements before promising features that have never come.

Lee
BarryUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my new 500 for over a week now and have been very pleased with it. Yes there are missing features, which I rarely used, but those it has work very well, with the connection to my iPhone 4s virtually instant and the traffic updates follow within seconds of powering on.

It seems the focus of fewer essential functions but with higher quality is a great solution for me and I'm very pleased. Obviously time may alter my view, but I've done some long journeys and found it responsive and does what it says on the tin.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often does the traffic update , is it all the time, as its Hd traffic, as I remember before with a phone connection it was every 15 mins or so ?

Seeing as its using your phone connection , does that mean its updating by 3g ?

When the 000s are released will they do a 4 5 and 6 inch display ?

And cant I connect my 1005 usb lead that i Had hiiden in my car ? is it yet another lead ?
tazie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 500 Reply with quote

I have just brought a new 500 and find it hard to believe that you can not "Add community content" unless I am doing something wrong !!

Even Tomtom support said its not available. Does anyone know better as I cant add the speed camera database.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That function is NOT available wit the release version of the app for the model.

Supposedly, in a future app update. Who knows when? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: