Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CameraAlert Offline Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CameraAlert Offline Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig8944
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: CameraAlert Offline Maps Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

CameraAlert is a fantastic app and I do not want to disrespect your accomplishments but might there be an options in the future for integrating some type of offline maps? 3G connectivity north of the border for me is a wee bit sketchy so when in map mode, it updates after the fact? I'll shut up if this has already been asked and slapped to the back of the head? Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Apple's MapKit (iOS) or Googles Maps SDK (Android) have any developer-controlled option to cache maps for offline use. They both do some caching but we have no control over this.

Until they add this as a feature we can use then it's not something we can do really :/

MaFt
Craig8944
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about some sort of alternative mapping, like Skobblers Navigation2, based on OpenStreetMap, works online or you can download the maps to work offline, maps are good but the alerts not so good, actually rubbish. CameraAlert is brilliant but get into a bad data reception area and maps resolve very slow for the ones that still look at the map when the alert is activated. Tell me to shutup if I'm being a numpty, will not be offended!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig

You can run CamerAlert in the background behind any application including those that uses on-device, online or downloadable maps. Just use that for routing and mapping and leave CamerAlert to do what it does best.

"No comment" to your last sentence. Laughing Laughing

Gerry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: