Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Premium speed cameras Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Premium speed cameras Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Premium speed cameras Europe Reply with quote

When we were away recently I had just set this new TT 1005 Go Live up and had taken whatever TT wanted to download from MyTT. I know that there are issues with French cameras - which is why the PGPSW database doesn't include them, so I was astonished that some sort of warning seemed to come up on the Go unit for cameras in France.

I can only assume that this was TT's own warning, but would they still download something that wasn't legal? Or have they downloaded to me a 'get round it' type dataset, that just indicates where certain areas have limited speed restrictions and 'may' have a camera!! On looking at MyTT it seems that the years free live subscription has handed me 'Premium speed cameras Europe'. I'd appreciate it if anyone knows whether this just contains 'legal' data and whether the warnings I was getting in France were OK or not? Or if I should remove the service. In any event I am also carrying the far superior PGPSW database as well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT now have "Danger zones" for France. I'm surprised you did not see them mentioned specifically by MyTT when you updated.

From the TT website:
Quote:
Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.

New update: TomTom Speed Camera service becomes Danger Zones in France
TomTom had a meeting with the Road Safety Ministry to clarify the situation regarding new and upcoming legislation. As a result, TomTom is introducing a 100% compliant Danger Zones service available in a free download for compatible products.

New Danger Zones service in France

What do I need to do?

If you have a device that is supported, you need to connect your navigation device to TomTom HOME or MyTomTom and do the following:

1. Download the new update (of Home ot MyTT) that activates French Danger Zones on your navigation device. (Show me how...)

2. Download the one-time free download of a French Danger Zones file. This is for everyone even if you don’t have a subscription to the Speed Camera service. (show me how...)

How does it work?

In France, all types of speed camera locations and accident black spots are now reported using a new service: Danger Zones

Specific locations are not available and a Danger Zone icon is shown instead.

The length of the zone depends on the road type at the current location and can be 300m/2000m/4000m.

In future, Danger Zones provided by the French government (Zones de Vigilance Accrue) will be included in our database as they become available.

Useful tips
The only speed limit indicated is the one from your map. It can be incorrect if the map is too old and needs updating.

If several cameras are close to each other, the warning can be merged in a single longer zone.

The reporting of Danger Zones is still possible and legal but the location will be randomised for all users. TomTom appreciates the continued community-based reporting.

Danger Zones are only available when driving in France. The TomTom Speed Camera service works as normal outside of French borders. This applies if a route goes across French borders.

If you drive without a route planned, the performance of the Danger Zone alerts may decrease.

The service has been renamed to Danger Zones in the Services menu on your device. However until your device has a GPS fix and knows it is in France, the menu may still refer to Speed Cameras.

juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P many thanks for taking the time Very Happy As you suggest I do recall something about this flashing up when I did the 'one time update', but had a lot on the go at the time and couldn't recall the correct thing to search for, i.e. 'danger zones'. I recall noting whilst in France that the warnings didn't function quite like a speed camera warning and I did have a discussion with my passenger about whether there was a possible legal difference between what it was doing and a full speed camera warning. I had actually been back to My TT today to see if I could find out about them, but the internet is such that often if you don't know what key words to find something under it is not so easy to find things that you think should be there. I am therefore obliged to you for making the link for me and putting my mind at rest. Many thanks Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGPSW database can include French cameras if you want them and Google will tell you all about them if you use the complex search of "Tom Tom French speed cameras" Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: