Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted above, the difference is the cable Wink
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

I have now checked and indeed you do have the option of choosing a route, depending upon how many Garmin finds. I will now see if the routes chosen are indeed the quickest ones.

Is there any benefit in having digital traffic on the 3598 as opposed to the normal traffic on the 3597 - or does this only really work in the UK? I do most of my travelling in Europe.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here for Garmin's take on it:

http://www.garmin.com/uk/traffic
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware 3.30 posted for this model (and for all 2013 Nuvi range (24x7 and 35x7/35x8)

Download via Garmin Express or Webupdater
Changes from version 3.20 to version 3.30:
Added support for DAB traffic in Belgium.
Improved the stability of the Active Lane Guidance feature.
Fixed touch screen issues.
Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause the same trip file to get loaded multiple times.
Fixed an issue that would prevent the Traffic map tool menu icon from being displayed by default if Smartphone Link was the only traffic source.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, decided to try out the 3598-D this week and put it up against my (also new) TomTom Live 500

Looks wise, the Garmin wins hands down - screen is superb, even in bright sunlight over the past few days. Also Garmins build quality is first class

I didn't think the TomTom magnetic mount could be beat, but the Garmin magnetic mount is superb - a real step change in mount systems (now if only the connectors were bi-directional and you wouldn't have to move it around manually to go from landscape to portrait!)

Features - basically the Garmin has virtually everything, and the TomTom just gets you from A to B - maybe via C, D and E if you want it to!

The traffic (via both the Android App + Surcharge or the HD Traffic) has been surprisingly good on the Garmin - much better than anything outside of TomTom HD Traffic. Fast and accurate, a real pleasant improvement. In fact while traffic is not quite there with TomTom, road works here in Wales is far in front on the Garmin, so well done to them on what was a necessary improvement

Now my problem is the routing (of which I was sceptical before purchase) and turn clarity

I find it far too zoomed out in the side-streets with close-by turns required, and just find the TomTom visually and vocally more clear, more of the time

Routing? I ended up in a dead-end farms field on route from Halfords (honestly!) and then continued to make poor routing choices to my other calls

Having then got home and fully updated the Garmin, it thankfully didn't repeat the routes when I simulated re-runs later. It made much better choices but still not there with the TomTom

So having spent a few days with the new Garmin, I will try to love it - and give it until the end of next week to perform, at which point if I still feel like I do about the routing and visuals of the turns, then it will probably end up on Ebay

My TomTom? Well it's boring and a disappointment. it's featureless compared with the Garmin - or even past TomToms

Plus it's not the prettiest, so hard to love!

But it's core task - routing - is better than ever and perhaps that will win out
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you decide to sell it ... Wink
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Let me know if you decide to sell it ... Wink

Will do Laughing

14/07/2013 - It's now for sale!

16/07/2013 - It's sold!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
IzzeeBee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, Im new here thought id join a forum with others that have this nav. I was confused between the 3598 and 3597, main dif is the traffic, digital changes every 30secs whereas the 3597 does it ever 3-4 min.

Does anyone know about the Cyclops™ Safety Cameras pack that can be added is this just for the lower units, or is it a more advance verious of the saftey camera database preloaded
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IzzeeBee wrote:
Does anyone know about the Cyclops™ Safety Cameras pack that can be added
How terribly dis-loyal of you Wink
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same database - older data built-in, free months trial from the Garmin store, then around £20 per year UK / £30ish Europe

Updates typically twice a week, and they are direction

Pity no voice notice, just beeps and bongs

Otherwise pretty good, and over the PGPSW database, its the simplicity that makes it

PGPSW database has more coverage, cameras and lower price point, plus choice of icons and voice announcements, which help you keep your eyes on the road
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Garmin 3598 Reply with quote

I have now used the Garmin 3598 for about a month now in France and thought I would post some comments. I am an old Garmin user starting with Street Pilots about 10 years ago. I moved to Navigon about 3/4 years ago and recently decided to try Garmin again as it seems Navigon have stopped selling (and producing any GPS hardware). At first I was not impressed with the routing (see previous posts) but, now barring some not surprising routing in the back roads of France where I live, it works quite well. The look and feel is excellent with the screen being particularly good in all conditions. The functionality is good although you have dig for some menus. I miss some things (like height and on screen information) but overall this is a good if not excellent product.

I have used it in heavy traffic (particularly on the A7 which runs north to south in France and can be really busy this time of the year). Traffic is much more accurate than my in-built car GPS system (Audi), faster with traffic info and also more specific (length of traffic queues etc). Sometimes you are surprised but this is normal on the A7 where congestion can happen in seconds. It also has weather but I am not a great user of this. I have tried the voice commands and they work really well. I have not used the bluetooth voice functionality yet but used is for data which works well.

In general a very good unit and well worth the price (I think). I wish I could add Michelin guides to it but for some reason you cannot although you can do it on the 3597.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update. Surprised about Michelin guides though as I thought the two units were identical apart from traffic.
FatSteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3597 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
. The only problem is that I have to use another Bluetooth device for this as my Iphone is connected to my car's bluetooth for phone use. (I am not sure you can use two bluetooth connections simultaneously - maybe somebody can advise me).[/u]

Very good point??
I'm gonna use the CAR bluetooth for my handsfree....can the SAME phone link to the Garmin for the services etc??????
FatS.
ps. Galaxy S4...... in case it matters?!
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Nuvi 3598 Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Thanks for that update. Surprised about Michelin guides though as I thought the two units were identical apart from traffic.

I would have thought so too. I have sent an email to customer service. Lets see what they say.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 3598 and am having some update teething issues.

The first time it tried to download the new map 2014.10 it just hung after getting to 100% download.

After I then tried to install it, it told me there wasn't enough space. I tried with both Garmin Express and the GarminMap updater. I have 3.03GB space free when I need 3.1GB.

I then noticed that the unit had come with a 4GB separate memory card already installed. I used that and the maps installed. Although the weird thing is the 3D map seems to still be installed on the main unit and the rest on the card.

Should I have needed to install these maps on the separate memory card? Or should the update have fitted on the core memory? If so is there a way of totally wiping the maps so I can try again...they appear to be hidden files when looking on the PC.

Also everytime I check for updates, it wants me to install "nuvi 35x7 Language Text 1.40"....I have installed it over and over (and can see it already is installed if I go to the info on the 3598), but it still wants me to update everytime I connect the unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: