Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Go models launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Go models launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ sixhundred

The presentation wasn't too bad to be honest - take that from someone who was actually sat in there watching in!

As for 'when and how much' no prices have been announced yet but the UK models should be out soon. I'm still waiting for confirmation of the dates but they suggested it would be for Summer.

@ matthewj

Not sure what you mean by this: "They would be wise to ensure that the 6000 model, with integration, is also able to use your phone if you don't pay for the GPRS to work." You wouldn't need to use your phone as the device has a SIM card built in and allows the traffic data to be access both at home and when roaming. There are no ongoing costs with this, just a higher purchase price initially.

At the moment they only had the 6" version with the 'always connected' option but they said that the 4.3" and 5" should also get that option too.

I also mentioned to them that wifi would have been better than bluetooth as most smartphone 'mobile hotspot' features use wifi instead of bluetooth. It would also allow MiFi's to be used. A missed opportunity in my book.

MaFt
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tethering generally means sharing your phones data plan via a wifi hotspot created on your phone.

I would be suprised if this 'bluetooth' data will come under that TBH.

Didnt the older TT devices work off the same principle for TMC traffic? There was no such thing as tethering plans and hotspots then, they just connected via bluetooth and used your existing WAP (as it was called then) data.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Tethering generally means sharing your phones data plan via a wifi hotspot created on your phone.

I would be suprised if this 'bluetooth' data will come under that TBH.

Well, technically, 'tethering' means being connected by a cable (i.e. a tether). On the iPhone the 'tethering' (personal hotspot) is by cable, wifi or bluetooth and each of these options requires a SIM plan with tethering.

Tomo wrote:
Didnt the older TT devices work off the same principle for TMC traffic? There was no such thing as tethering plans and hotspots then, they just connected via bluetooth and used your existing WAP (as it was called then) data.

That's correct but many phones lacked the BT DUN protocol that the TomTom required. I know on my HTC Artemis (T-Mobile MDA Compact III) I had to hunt out and install that Bluetooth protocol in order to use it.

And yes, in those days there were no tethering plans etc. However the overall amount of mobile data was massively lower than it is now and the the mobile networks cottoned on to the fact that they could make a lot of money from it. I used to use 70mb of mobile data in a month. Now I use around 4GB a month on average (although this month I've used 10.8GB). As it is, today we DO have tethering and personal hotspot plans and as much as it would be nice to not have them, the fact is we do. And I know a lot of people who don't want to pay the extra for tethering because they wouldn't use it that much.

It'll be interesting to see the price differences between the always connected and the BT connected devices.

MaFt
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
@ matthewj

Not sure what you mean by this: "They would be wise to ensure that the 6000 model, with integration, is also able to use your phone if you don't pay for the GPRS to work." You wouldn't need to use your phone as the device has a SIM card built in and allows the traffic data to be access both at home and when roaming. There are no ongoing costs with this, just a higher purchase price initially.

What I mean is that I would probably buy the one with the SIM built in, but then might want to not use that built in SIM but use my phone. Give me the choice.

When the original TomTom used the phone connection, I used to have bills of a few pence for driving around, and that was on a plan with no data allowance. As has been said, this all formalised into the "tethering" plans, and now I have a £1/day fixed fee. This is the big danger I think in these models. It will seem attractive to have lifetime traffic, but it could be very expensive for many. Why would I buy a PND that will cost me £200/year for traffic, when I can get the phone app and have it cost me the £15 subscription on my included data? This is why I think the choice is important - I could choose to pay TomTom for the subscription, or use my phone, if the device has the SIM but could use my phone if I'm not subscribed. If they say "subscribe or nothing" for the SIM model, then I have do guess about the future use, and that might make them lose a sale.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be VERY careful about your research to check if your phone (and tariff!) is compatible.

I just bought a new phone, and was fairly sure it would work, but it doesn't.

For a starter you need Android v4, but mine is v4.0.4 and it still doesn't have the right sort of BT tethering ("PAN" seems to be a relevant buzzword)

The new interface takes a LOT of getting used to. There's no "Navigate to..." so simple things like "take me home" take more screen presses than the old menu style, as it just SHOWS you were home is and THEN you have to poke at it on the map in order to say "take me there".

I find the distinction between "Navigation view" and "map view" is no longer as obvious as it was either.

The 3D view is quite slick and fast, but so far there is only a very dull grey and blue colour scheme.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I won't be buying until I'm very happy it will work, and for a while. I want itineraries and POI for starters! And yes, you are right to point out that tethering is not available to all. Indeed, until yesterday I didn't think it was available to me, but it seems Orange have enabled it for me - that £1/day must make them money.

But it does look like they have stepped back and worked out what can be done with the modern technology, and that is a good thing.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
What I mean is that I would probably buy the one with the SIM built in, but then might want to not use that built in SIM but use my phone. Give me the choice.
I doubt very much that you could either use that SIM in your phone or your phone SIM in the PND.

matthewj wrote:
It will seem attractive to have lifetime traffic, but it could be very expensive for many.
It'll obviously depend on the premium for the "SIM-in" models, but I'd be surprised if the difference is prohibitive!

It seems to me that if you have a mobile contract that allows bluetooth tethering, then go for the n00 models.
If you don't, or if you travel abroad, then the n000 seems the more sensible option. (Based on my belief that later existing Live versions work abroad and that roaming data charges, on your phone SIM, will be extreme!)

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ matthewj

The impression that I got was that the traffic is free whichever connection type you have.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I want itineraries ... for starters!
Then you had better look somewhere other than TT Rolling Eyes . This alone of course makes the rest of the conversation a waste of time. Very Happy
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real deal breaker is whether the device is used abroad.

Although I pay for a smartphone contact that includes teathering, I use my TomTom in Europe on a regular basis and therefore the choice of the GPRS variant is a no brainer.

I am very conservative with my use of data roaming (normally turned off since many apps attempt to use this) and the costs of data roaming abroad are eye watering. I certainly dont intend any TomTom to run up the daily charge.

DaveJH

still a TomTom Go Live 950 user -the best of the old bunch perhaps!
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be right?
NO custom poi!

Surely 99% of user need this feature.
Need to wait and see when they come out.
If no custom poi then my 540 will have to stay on the go.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I didn't think it was available to me, but it seems Orange have enabled it for me - that £1/day must make them money.
I get 250Mb of data/tethering and another 250Mb without tethering(I think) with my Orange contract at £10.50 a month. Shocked You need to call them and discuss their pricing. The retention team is who you want to speak to.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
....NO custom poi!
Surely 99% of user need this feature.....

Absolutely agree with you. Given that TT have only just weathered the Hd traffic, Itinerary, GoogleSearch, etc. storms, could this be the final nail in their coffin?.

edited.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it "No custom POIs" or "No custom POIs YET"?

Am I misremembering that some previous models came to market without them and software updates added the feature?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Is it "No custom POIs" or "No custom POIs YET"?

Am I misremembering that some previous models came to market without them and software updates added the feature?

I believe you are correct. I have the go 1005 and on initial launch I recall that did not support 3rd party poi's. It does now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: