Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: what sat nav Reply with quote

We are looking to upgrade our car our current one which is a nissan as the connect but its costs an arm and leg to keep updating. We like nissan but we can not see the point of buying a nissan with a satnav at about £2000 plus more just for a sat nav. So we are looking at getting a model without a built in sat nav but now we want to know what is out there and which ones we should be looking at. I know I may be asking the near impossible but here goes.

We want the sat nav to have the following maps, direction, speed camera warning for fixed and average and maybe even mobile, free updates to all ares if that possibe or maybe the cheaper ones for the updates.

I don't mind spending to get the product but I do mind keep paying out for endless updates

I have looked at some websites but being honest I do do really understand the wording on what they do or not do.

The one that I like was the tom tom but I am unsure on the updates and cost etc.
Thanks in advance Laughing
eddiethebhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: What tomtom Reply with quote

Hi
I have just purchased the tomtom start 60 and I highly recommend it as you get free map updates for life it has a six inch screen and you can install the camera database from this site I got it from Argos for £150
eddiethbhoy
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of Garmins now include free map updates for life, and will certainly do all the rest that you're asking. For free lifetime maps just look for models ending in LM (Lifetime maps) or LMT (Lifetime maps and traffic).

Advantage of the Garmins is that there are also many free maps available, so no extra expenditure if say, you want to take it with you for a holiday to the US.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

Advantage of the Garmins is that there are also many free maps available, so no extra expenditure if say, you want to take it with you for a holiday to the US.

Are there? Shocked
How can that work as a business model?

TT expect to make most of their income from map sales, and Garmin donlt sell the hardware at a much higher price to compensate.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Are there? Shocked
How can that work as a business model?

TT expect to make most of their income from map sales, and Garmin donlt sell the hardware at a much higher price to compensate.

I think it's because they are not Garmin maps but OpenStreetMAp

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... got you! Smile
willwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: sat nav Reply with quote

so it seems that tom tom is the way to go Laughing
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the opposite, with Garmin you have the use of their maps and also free ones, with TT you don't Wink
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most SatNavs are similar to one another these days. My best advice would be to assess which features you would like your satnav to have, don't get swayed with technolust, visit a few shops to get hands on with your choices and see if you prefer one brand over the others, make a short list, check the reader reviews on Amazon and then search on these forums to see if there are any reasons why you shouldn't buy your final choice.

I'll probably get shot down for thinking this outloud but of Tomtom and Garmin the only real differences I can think of are Tomtom has better traffic info and possibly better routing, garmin has better itinerary planning and the ability to load third party maps for free. I'm sure there are many other pros & cons and other makes to consider too.

Let us know how you get on and remember to check back before you make your purchase just in case somebody knows why you shouldn't.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
of Tomtom and Garmin the only real differences I can think of are Tomtom has better traffic info and possibly better routing, garmin has better itinerary planning and the ability to load third party maps for free. I'm sure there are many other pros & cons and other makes to consider too.

I think the overall "look and feel" is important too.

Things may have changed of late... but when I first started using both TT and Garmin, the Garmin maps just looked really childish, in terms of the colours and the way they were drawn.

They could have been much more accurate than the TT ones, but it just put me off straight away.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: