Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom NVA-SD8110 in MX5 Venture
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom NVA-SD8110 in MX5 Venture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillybeccy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom NVA-SD8110 in MX5 Venture Reply with quote

Does anyone know how (or if) it is possible to add the camera database and custom POIs to the in-built unit in my 2012 Mazda MX5 Venture.

Thanks

David
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a model I'm familiar with, but a couple of questions will help us work out if it can be done.

1. Are there any instructions on how to update the software maps etc. i.e. is there a USB connection or is there a removable SD card?

2. Is there any mention in the instructions or in the on-screen manus about adding "user POIs" or "third-party POIs" or similar?
malnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same system. And the same question!!!!

Its a Tom Tom unit with an SD card. It came with 3 months free Tom Tom live and maps, mine expires in a few days.
It updates through TOM TOM home installed on my computer.
It does say this about "adding my own content"

Points of Interest (POIs) are useful places on a map. Some examples include restaurants, hotels, shops and petrol stations.

A TomTom POI set consists of a file with the extension .ov2. It contains information which describes all the locations in the POI set using fields for longitude, latitude, location name and optional phone number.

There are four ways to create a POI set:

etc etc etc.......

Does this say what you need?

I'm also thinking about your speed camera database and icons, (if I can work out how to add them). Will they work and is it idiot proof to put them on?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE - This is based on you having said you use TomTom Home on your computer. That's very relevant and is different from using MyTomTom, which is a different program and a different set of instructions. The relevance of TomTom Home as opposed to MyTomTom is Home tells us you have a NAV2 type TomTom device, whereas MyTomTom means you have a NAV3 device.

It will be VERY similar to installation on the Renault Carminat on this page. You use Windows Explorer, NOT TomTom Home, to do this, so when Home opens automatically, just minimise it and use Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer).

(For a simple guide, you...
- download the TomTom OV2 set,
- unzip the downloaded file,
- copy the unzipped files onto your SD card into the folder where the map is - e.g. named Western Europe or United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland (NOT the folder called maps),
- then start the device and Change Preferences, Manage POIs, Warn when near POI.

I suggest you experiment with one of the free POI download sets to see how it goes, before you subscribe for the cameras.

Just one thing if you do subscribe and use the cameras, there is one point if you also download the voice warnings - .ogg files - (which I recommend you should do). When you reach the part where it asks Do you want this sound, you will hear nothing but you MUST answer YES.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note also our recommendation is to always make backup copies of your device - use Windows Explorer to copy everything from the SD card to a folder on your computer. Do this fairly frequently, creating a new folder for each backup - I simply name each folder by the date I do it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this unit and it is simple to put speed cam database on there. Use the eject SD card menu option, take the SD card out and put into your PC. Copy the speedcam files into the map folder then setup your preferred warn when near POI options.

You will also have to disable the TomTom alerts as some are the same place but they arent as comprehensive in my experience..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: