Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Tetrax Geo Magnetic Phone Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Tetrax Geo Magnetic Phone Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Tetrax Geo Magnetic Phone Mount Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

I'm often on the lookout for novel ways of mounting my phones in my car. As much as I love my Brodit ProClip setup there's always a part of me that's conscious of the fact there's an obvious holder in the car advertising the fact that there may be a phone or mp3 player left in the car. Not that I ever do leave my devices in the car...

When I was looking for a suitable prize from MobileFun for last month's Christmas competition I stumbled across the Tetrax Geo holder. It's a small, magnetic clip that attaches to your air vent and a matching metal plate you stick to the back of your device. The magnet is strong enough to hold it in place. It looked like quite a neat design and was suitably discrete too.

Click here to read more...
email icon
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a magnetic dash holder ages ago for my old Nokia phone and it trashed it - twice. I'm convinced it was the strong magnet near the phone.

That device came with a thin piece of metal that you stuck to the inside of the battery cover.

After the second fail I stopped using it and the phone was/is still working OK.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Tetrax web site:

Quote:
Does the magnetism interfere with my cell phone or GPS system?
First of all the magnet has no direct contact to the cell phone or GPS system, as the steel-clip is mounted to the device. 4 magnets with two opposite poles layout create a close magnetic field circuit so The steel-clip further more shields almost completely the magnetic field and the residual magnetism is lower than a common headphone. To all undertaken tests there was no sign of any interference with the performance of a cell phone, smart-phone or mobile GPS device, caused by the magnetic field of the TETRAX system. The same is true for the usage of MP3-players such as e.g. I-Pods.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing factoring in is the location of the antennae inside the phone. Generally those are located in the top and bottom bands, though, so if you place the metal plate in the center of gravity at the back then it is as far away as possible from these. Generally...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
timsim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Larger Devices Reply with quote

This seems like a very good solution to enable fast fixing and removing of devices, but how would it cope with a larger device like a TomTom Go 835?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It weighs 244g (vs 112g of the iPhone 5) so I would hazard a guess at no. This was alluded to in the review anyway. A thinner device like the Garmin Nuvi 3790 would be fine though.

MaFt
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used mag mounts with all my iPhones since the iPhone 1, never had a problem despite numerous naysayers sating it shouldn't be done.
I buy sticky magnets with their accompanying metal plates off eBay. I have them plastered all over my various cars. Delightfully simple but effective way of mounting a phone. Think I will get one of these as well to cover occasions when I am in another car.
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these things and try as I might I could not get it to stay in place on the vent and the little vice-like jaws with which it attaches tended to damage the vent to boot.

It would hold my smartphone for a few minutes but always ended up on the floor - it could not hold a TomTom at all. It is not that the magnet is not strong enough it is the attaching jaws.

It is one of those things that appears to be a good idea, but in real life simply does not function as it is supposed to.

I gave up and considered myself fortunate to get my money back.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked the idea of vent mounts but one of these crossed with a CD slot mount would be interesting, I just need somebody to make one now Confused
Confused
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think for a bog standard universal mount you can't beat some of that heavy duty sticky Velcro from B&Q Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: