Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2013 - New Garmin Nuvi Range
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 - New Garmin Nuvi Range
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: 2013 - New Garmin Nuvi Range Reply with quote

Follow the link to see Garmin's 2013 range
http://sites.garmin.com/nuvi/

Main product links are as follows:
nuvi 42: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=120957
nuvi 2457: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=122546
nuvi 3597: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=121762

Garmin's press release (UK version shows a later release - 2nd Quarter):
OLATHE, Kan./January 7, 2013 — Garmin® International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced its new nüvi lineup[1] of Personal Navigation Devices (PNDs) at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The latest navigators from Garmin make it easier than ever to follow directions and stay on route.

Instead of only using street names, Garmin Real Directions™ guide drivers just like a friend would by telling them to turn at recognisable landmarks, buildings, stop signs and traffic lights. To make sure drivers get in the correct lane, the new Active Lane Guidance features voice prompts as well as a visual lane animation. Garmin have also updated the real-time traffic function so that it now provides information on traffic incidents by voice; users can then speak a response to select a route to avoid the traffic on nüvi models with the voice control feature. Furthermore, the nüvi models feature an all-new design and larger screens that range from 4.3 to 7 inches to display driving-related information at a glance. The new top of the line nüvi 3597 LMT comes with a new powered magnetic mount, making it convenient to attach the device and keep it charged. Garmin’s new navigators will be showcased in the Garmin booth (South Hall 4 #35812) at this year’s CES.

“Garmin nüvi devices are the gold standard of navigation due to their ease of use, reliability and feature richness. Alongside our industry leading Lifetime Maps offering and the latest advancements to our lifetime traffic services, we are now proud to introduce the latest market leading innovations for a lifetime of navigation ” said Clive Taylor, EMEA Director Product Marketing. “Our new lineup significantly improves how navigation can help drivers find their way whilst keeping their eyes on the road. Larger screens provide driving-related information at a glance and our new Real Directions are easier to follow than ever before.”

Categorised as Essential, Advanced and Premium, Garmin’s new nüvi devices meet the lifestyle and budget of every customer. The simple and budget-friendly Essential Series is the perfect starting point for any journey with accurate turn-by-turn directions, spoken street names and lane assist with junction views. The new Advanced Series offers additional features to guide drivers, such as the new Garmin Real Directions™, Active Lane Guidance and real-time traffic with voice control. The new top of the line nüvi 3597 LMT (Premium Series) combines the best in car navigation available from Garmin. With its elegant styling and ultra-slim profile, the nüvi 3597 LMT reflects a refined aesthetic that suits the interior of any vehicle. In addition to features available for the Advanced Series, it features a five-inch multi-touch glass screen in a real - metal housing as well as a powered magnetic mount that automatically snaps in once the user holds the device close. This premium navigator also includes lifetime map updates[2], Garmin’s most advanced traffic service, 3D buildings and terrain and voice command. For more information about individual models and features visit garmin.com/nuvi.

Garmin Real Directions™: Real Directions guide drivers in a natural and intuitive way. The new feature uses recognisable landmarks, buildings, traffic lights and stop signs to give directions. For example, the new feature tells drivers to “turn right after the Starbucks®” or “turn left at the traffic light.” This provides drivers with confidence early on that they’re going the right way and lets them focus on the road instead of trying to read street signs. Garmin Real Directions™ is powered by the high-quality NAVTEQ® Map to ensure accuracy. Garmin partnered with the leading global provider of map content to develop a sophisticated data collection and processing system. The landmarks and buildings selected for directions have been checked rigorously for visibility, prominence and permanence. Additionally, Garmin also improved the navigation voice itself: Garmin Real Voice™ is a new human voice that sounds better than ever before[3].

Active Lane Guidance: The new Active Lane Guidance feature uses a combination of voice prompts and visual cues to prepare users to drive through an exit or interchange with confidence. Utilizing the larger screens of the nüvi devices, Active Lane Guidance displays an animated graphic next to the map view that uses brightly colored arrows to indicate the proper lane needed to make a turn.

Improved, Voice-Activated Traffic: Garmin offers free lifetime traffic[4] on selected nüvi models without any fees, subscriptions or ads, helping drivers to avoid delays. The Advanced and Premium Series now make it even easier to assess the traffic situation and decide on whether an alternative route makes sense or not. Voice integration lets drivers know if there is traffic on the route, what the expected delay is and if there is a faster route. nüvi devices in the Advanced and Premium Series that include voice command, allow drivers to select an alternative route by simply speaking a response. Garmin’s new traffic interface also depicts important traffic information next to the map view, including the expected delay as well as an animated graphic that indicates the traffic situation on the route ahead in real-time.

Garmin’s most advanced traffic service, Garmin 3D Traffic Live, is included with selected Advanced and Premium nüvi’s and delivers updates as often as every minute over Digital Radio.

More Information at a Glance: Garmin’s nüvi models feature an all-new design and larger screens that range from 4.3 to 7 inches, displaying more driving-related information at a glance. The new and refined interface keeps the driving map onscreen at all times and displays additional information in slide-in windows, such as points of interest along the route and real-time traffic. A new Up Ahead function provides easy access to points of interest nearby. Up Ahead appears alongside the driving map and constantly informs of nearby services, including restaurants, fuel stations, hospitals and stores.

Garmin Express: Garmin Express is a new and seamless way to keep nüvi devices up to date. Users simply download the free software to receive free lifetime software updates. Garmin Express also provides an easy way to update maps, backup or transfer data and download content, such as free vehicles icons, voices and dashboards.

The nüvi 3597 LMT and selected models of the Advanced Series are compatible with Garmin Smartphone Link, an Android app that provides live services to the PND. Among other functionalities, the app lets nüvi users add live services[5] such as mobile speed cameras4, traffic camera images4 and weather to their navigation device, utilizing the smartphone's mobile data plan.

Garmin nüvi devices use the NAVTEQ Map, which has been meticulously developed over the last 30 years. The new nüvi lineup is expected to be available in the second quarter of 2013.

This nüvi lineup is the latest from Garmin’s consumer automotive segment, the leading worldwide provider of portable navigation devices for automobiles, motorcycles and trucks. Garmin’s user-friendly PND solutions have innovative features that provide time- and fuel-saving benefits to meet the demands of everyday driving.

Last edited by BAVC10 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept behind these.

The bit I find most intriguing and the reason I would likely upgrade sooner rather than later, subject to price, is the published bit about the traffic updates using your existing mobile phone data plan via a wireless link.

If that works and therefore avoids washing line aerials I would go for that Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look pretty good, and if they can get them out in the next month or so, may just treat myself...
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at the models that link to your smartphone for traffic updates

this relies on your mobile data connection and if you are in an area where you have no signal, you typically will have no updates and thus could end up being sat in standing traffic for a period of time.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

The bit I find most intriguing and the reason I would likely upgrade sooner rather than later, subject to price, is the published bit about the traffic updates using your existing mobile phone data plan via a wireless link.

If that works and therefore avoids washing line aerials I would go for that Smile

Nothing new there, our 2595 has the Smartphone link and yes the app is free (simply links your Garmin to the phone) but you still have to pay Garmin to get the info via your data plan. Does work very well though in my experience.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you will get signal in more places with a data connection than with the FM alternative
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

briwy wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

Nothing new there, our 2595 has the Smartphone link and yes the app is free (simply links your Garmin to the phone) but you still have to pay Garmin to get the info via your data plan. Does work very well though in my experience.

So, once purchased the bit about no subscription is wrong ? I was under the impression that it's a one off purchase of the Garmin and there was no further costs involved?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: New Garmin 2013 models Reply with quote

I presume the release date the new Nuvi 2013 models is still 2nd quarter? Anyone know of any updates on this?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're shipping now in the US so reckon they'll be here shortly Wink
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would get me to upgrade so soon after having bought the 50 is the reported SmartPhone link so you can use your existing data package to show live traffic.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early basic review of 2 of the new models here http://gpstracklog.com/2013/03/first-looks-at-the-garmin-nuvi-2013-advanced-series.html#more-21251
tweetiepooh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2390 which uses an in built "phone" to get traffic and other information. I think it's bad form that the newer models want to use a separate mobile phone for the Live services.

I don't have a mobile phone, don't want one, so I guess I'm going to be stucj with the current unit until it fails or no longer supported.

Come on Garmin, bring back the all in one approach.
tweetiepooh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2390 which uses an in built "phone" to get traffic and other information. I think it's bad form that the newer models want to use a separate mobile phone for the Live services.

I don't have a mobile phone, don't want one, so I guess I'm going to be stucj with the current unit until it fails or no longer supported.

Come on Garmin, bring back the all in one approach.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon UK now has a link showing Nuvi 3597 LMTHD available 1st May 2013 at £269.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-3597LMT-Lifetime-Updates-Bluetooth/dp/tech-data/B00B3SEL8K/ref=de_a_smtd

Seems to have 8GB memory and software version is listed as Hydra 2.5!!

Some nice UK map shots for a change showing the new interface and UK speed limit signage
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: New Garmin 2013 models Reply with quote

I presume that this is also the new Navigon as they have not made any announcements of new hardware since the Garmin takeover.

Any comments?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: