Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver's Blames Sat Nav For Fatal Wrong Turn In Fog
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver's Blames Sat Nav For Fatal Wrong Turn In Fog
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Chalky wrote:
"This product may contain nuts" on a packet of peanuts and "For use on oral lips only" on certain lip balm products.

Off topic, but peanuts aren't nuts, they are legumes and the packing process may bring them into contact with traces of actual nuts in certain situations, hence the warning.

In regard to "For use on oral lips only", this may be a genuine warning but it sounds apocryphal to me.

Back on topic, it certainly isn't a new phenomenon that people drive the wrong way down dual carriageways (include in this, one way streets and roundabouts). This of course has been happening for years before satnavs were introduced. Yes, it is likely that satnavs added to the problem, but I would guess that alcohol, drugs, advanced age and foreign drivers would be the main culprits.

Lacy wrote:
There but for the grace of god...etc...We are all capable of making bad decisions or moments of in attentiveness. The vast majority of times people will get away with it...occasionally a tragedy happens. It doesn't alter who's at fault here but don't for one moment, believe it can never happen to you. It's very easy to sit at home in your armchair dissecting 'what might/must have happened but this driver didn't go out to kill someone; he made a dreadful mistake that cost someone their life....be careful out there...

Hear hear Lacy!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy wrote:
It's very easy to sit at home in your armchair dissecting 'what might/must have happened but this driver didn't go out to kill someone; he made a dreadful mistake that cost someone their life.
Reply from the comfort of my armchair. I fully agree with you, but it appears that he tried to blam his sat-nav. "I was only following my sat-nav". I think that's the cut and thrust of most of the posts here. So much stuff blamed on sat-nav when common sense and the ability to look out of the window and act accordingly should prevail.
Lacy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and from the comfort of MY chair......

It is only the newspaper headline that uses the term *Blame*.

The article itself goes on to say that immediately following the accident, the driver told police he was 'following his sat-nav'.

You have chosen to interpret that as 'I was ONLY following my satnav'

Subtle differences in language give entirely different complexions.

Now, we can all play semantics but the hard facts are that none of us are in possesion of the full facts, only what the paper decides to print and how we decide to interpret it. The media thrive on sensationalism and shouldn't be trusted as a verbatim account of anything!

If you never make a bad decision and are entirely fault free in everything you do then carry on lambasting this driver; the rest of us should take a more measured view.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy wrote:
It is only the newspaper headline that uses the term *Blame*.

In fact the newspaper headline doesn't use the word blame, or mention the sat-nav. That headline is from PGPSW.
Lacy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.....I have just checked the newspapers website. The headline reads:

"Driver's 'monumental error' in fog led to fatal crash on the A46 in Six Hills"

Strange that PGPSW should interpret things the way they have......then put their interpretation in big letters underneath the newspapers banner...strange indeed...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: