Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone nav apps - a tad confused
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone nav apps - a tad confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: iPhone nav apps - a tad confused Reply with quote

Hello,

The more research I do, the more confused I get!

I'm looking into getting a sat nav app for my iPhone 5. Reading the reviews on iTunes leaves me to believe they're all kinda useless in their own unique ways Confused

My current sat nav is an ageing TomTom 720 which is in dire need of new maps.

My current thinking is to go with what I know - TomTom UK. Which I can currently buy with a lifetime of free map updates for £27, which is less than it will cost me to update the maps on my 720.

I appreciate I can't use PGPS speed camera POIs, but I believe I can run the Cameralert app in the background for that (altho' I don't really speed these days anyway). But what about other 3rd party POIs?

Is TomTom generally okay compared to what I'm used to? I've never used HD traffic but it looks like I can subscribe for the odd month if I should feel the need (altho' a lot of the bad reviews relate to the payment process for this).

Once I sort out the software, I'll then have to think about the hardware mounts etc.

Anyway, any comments or advice would be very gratefully received.

All the very best.

Cheers,
Tony
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only Sygic, as far as I am aware, offer support for adding 3rd Party POIs (and speed cams) to the iOS app.

One other option is to use our mobile POI site on your phone - go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/mobilepoi and it will detect your location. Choose a category and sub category then once you find what you need you can send that location to TomTom app (as well as others) and navigate straight to it. If the POI you want isn't nearby you can also scroll down on the 'Location' page and click the link to enter a location manually - for example to search around a different town or holiday destination.

MaFt
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

PGPSW's mobile POI looks really useful. Shame about all the adverts that get in the way; will making a donation get rid of them? Still, very useful - excellent work, thank you.

Sygic looks interesting but the user interface does nothing for me.

Unless there's screams of "NO!" from other users, I think I'll go with the devil I know, TomTom. It's currently £20 cheaper than updating the maps on my 720 (and half the price of Navigon) and a new Brodit holder will cost about the same as the TT app.

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Tony
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone from a TT 740 to TomTom UK on my iPhone 4S. I have no issues with it or the HD traffic in comparison to the 740.

Both the app and the traffic are currently reduced so now is a good time to buy.

I use CamerAlert in the background for audio alerts which is enough for me.
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - thank you.

Cheers,
Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: