Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed cams tomtom android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed cams tomtom android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryuk22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: speed cams tomtom android Reply with quote

which ones and how to install and use please

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's potential for confusion here, caused by PGPSW changing the name of the camera database, to be the same as their stand-alone program....

SO... do you want to install the PGPSWcamera database as POIs to work within the TomTom Navigator program, or do you want to install the CamerAlert software which can work along-side TomTom?
terryuk22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO... do you want to install the PGPSWcamera database as POIs to work within the TomTom Navigator program, or do you want to install the CamerAlert software which can work along-side TomTom?

well which is the best way and whats camerAlert and how to use
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our CamerAlert app is the best/simplest solution.

It's available free in the Google Play store here.

Install on your device and, if you are a subscriber, link to your subscriber account.

The user-guide is here: http://www.cameralert.com/android-manual/
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW CamerAlert works entirely independently of TomTom. You can have either or both running. Many people have their sat nav app (like TomTom) running in the foreground with CamerAlert running in the background.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameralert is great but, for me at least, there are disadvantages compared with loading the camera database into TomTom. That's certainly true for iPhone and I imagine it is for Android too.

1. You can't see the cameras on your TomTom map, so you only know you're approaching one, not exactly where it is. Cameralert can show them on its map but only if you have a suitable data plan, and even then you need network coverage.

2. Even with 'relative warning volume' in Cameralert set to maximum, I can barely hear the warnings when I set the TomTom volume at a level I'm happy with.

(That's why I'm looking at this thread. With iOS6, unless TomTom changes its app, it is no longer possible to add POIs, including speed cams, to TomTom. I'm considering switching to an Android phone specifically so that I can run TomTom with PGPSW speed cams and other POIs installed, and am researching that possibility.)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I have an HTC Sensation (Android) running Sygic GPS (which uses TomTom maps) in the foreground and CamerAlert in the background. I have installed the camera database as POIs on Sygic and set it to give me a visual warning but no sound. With Sygic that means not only are they shown on the map but a small distance countdown box is also displayed. Of course, like most POI systems, this is not directional, so it shows all cameras, not just those relevant to the direction I am travelling in.

So I get a sound warning from CamerAlert only for those cameras in the relevant direction. I can then glance at Sygic to see where the camera is and also see the countdown as to how far away it is. I am not sure how much of this can be done with Android's version of TT though.

I do not have any problems with different sound levels.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to load the camera database into TomTom on my iPhone but, with iOS6, that is no longer possible. Warnings were not directional but that didn't bother me too much.

Now, I have to run Cameralert behind TomTom but really do have a problem hearing the alerts unless I turn the volume up so high that spoken directions from TomTom are annoyingly loud.

My hope is that the next release of TomTom will enable me to install the camera database again (Apple locked down the folder used by TT for data because, they say, it should never have been used that way).

Failing that, I may well switch to Sygic. I thought it was possible to load the camera database into Sygic, so that Cameralert wasn't needed?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
I thought it was possible to load the camera database into Sygic, so that Cameralert wasn't needed?
It is. I load the PGPSW cams into sygic so they show on the map but have CA running in the background to give me the directional alerts. Best of both worlds. My other satnav runs iGO, which has directional alerts as standard.
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using a TomTom stand alone device for years, it's finally been ditched in favour of Sygic on my 7" Tablet. With TomTom removing editable POI categories, it had to go. The Tablet speaker is loud enough, whereas my HTC Sensation isn't. I've loaded PGPSW database, plus my own. They appear on the map earlier, but has to be said, the sound warnings can be delayed even on longest setting. This is probably my fault though, as some sites are duplicated with both POI files and it's own camera database. The notification sounds seem to queue. Smile

The latest update says you can backup your POIs to Drop box, but some forum posts indicate problems with this.

I will miss TomTom's map edit feature (road priorities etc), but it does seem that Sygic do frequent FREE map updates anyway.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:
but it does seem that Sygic do frequent FREE map updates anyway.
Free, yes but 'frequent' is stretching reality a bit Crying or Very sad
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, fair comment

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: