Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin tmc traffic problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin tmc traffic problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: garmin tmc traffic problems Reply with quote

ive had a garmin 1310t sat nav with lifetime traffic for about two years and have rarley used the power lead with the built in antenna as i have a standard power lead also, ive started using it as im driving a lot in work , im normally commuting between cardiff and bristol on the m4 and the signal to be honest is rubbish is this normal or can i buy a better aerial for it . its a waste of time even using so cant understand why the sat nav companys push the traffic systems so much , mines the standard tmc not the later hd traffic.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move this to the Garmin section but leave a link here, so it gets more views.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to use the thin wire antenna supplied, it plugs into a small hole on the side of the 'box' in the power lead. Mount that using the supplied sucker cups vertically on your windscreen. Then you'll have no problems with the signal ... although it's possible for the power lead itself to be faulty that is rare.

Also if you haven't used it for a while go into Tools, Settings, Traffic (only visible when the traffic cable is plugged in and powering the nuvi) and reload the traffic frequencies.

I have a 1490 (same as yours but the 5" screen) and traffic works really well.
bridgo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its got that, but still only works now and then when it does work it takes ages for the traffic symbol to show up on the screen
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried rescanning for traffic frequencies?

Mine displays the green symbol almost immediately after power on.

If yours still doesn't work after a frequency rescan give Garmin support a call, they are very helpful in trying to resolve issues.
bridgo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i plug in the traffic receiver if i go into tools , settings then scroll down it dosent even show the traffic settings , not sure how long its been like it so im not sure if its a faulty unit or the power lead . a bit fed up with the hole thing , ive just bought a lifetime map update to bring it up to latest spec , so not having the traffic is a bit of a pain. ive logged onto web updater and its got the most recent software 6.20
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not showing the settings when the power cable is plugged in and powering your 1310 then it's almost certainly a faulty lead. Try calling/contacting Garmin support ... it's not unknown for them to supply replacements FOC.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still convinced that the coverage is very sketchy in places.
I travel extensively in the north of England and the north midlands and find it varies enormously, fine in large urban areas but not at all good in other places.
Long stretches of motorway can be "dead" for minutes at a time and then suddenly a signal will appear.
I have had both the unit and the lead/aerial changed FOC under warranty by Garmin (excellent service) but it has made little difference.
My impression is that the further south you go in the UK the better the coverage.
As my unit has free lifetime traffic I'm not too bothered (other more reliable ways to get the traffic exist) but I would be severely cheesed off if I had paid for it.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you get it sorted.

I'm finding it hard to understand why both Garmin and TT both seem to have some issues with traffic reception.

Why does the aerial have to be a 'washing line' across the windscreen ?

Why so many reported failures ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: