Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 1.12 for iPhone now available in the App store
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 1.12 for iPhone now available in the App store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumpjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Tomtom 1.12 for iPhone now available in the App store Reply with quote

Tomtom released 1.12 in the app store late last night for the iPhone.

Apparently supports the iPhone 5 display size.

Downloading now Laughing
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially thought Super! Laughing
But looking at the "What's New in Version 1.12"
- Nice to see integration with the "maps" app BUT the information there is still way unreliable...

- Tomtom removing "Google Local Search" service, fair enough, I believe Google killed that API in 2010...

Some steps backwards if you ask me...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xman wrote:
- Tomtom removing "Google Local Search" service, fair enough, I believe Google killed that API in 2010...

Well, kinda... It was replaced with Google Places instead which does exactly the same thing...

MaFt
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So iPhone 5 users gain a bit of screen optimisation and the ability to search for locations is removed and replaced with a useless replacement!

The Google search may not have been 100% accurate itself, but after trying out TomTom places on the 1.12 app yesterday, it becomes apparent just how good it actually was!

Before updating the app I tried 3 random local locations (pubs), Google found all 3 and located them correctly.
I updated to 1.12 and tried searching for the same 3 places in TomTom places, it only found one and displayed its location 0.5 miles away from where it should be.

Fortunately I had saved the old 1.11 app file and was able to re-install it, a pity I hadn’t kept the previous versions!

Google search had become my only way of trying to navigate to locations contained in the numerous POI files I had maintained and used over the last decade, since TomTom removed the ability to use them.

I was forced to switch to the POI warner app when the IOS 6 changes meant that my own custom alerts no longer worked, it’s not bad but I much preferred my own customisable warnings.

It seems like TomTom have now completely lost touch with their customers and what they want, relentlessly forcing unwanted changes on us.

I will continue using my 1.11 app until the Google search stops working (tomorrow I believe), after that I will start looking for an alternative, Sygic has been suggested to me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for an IOS navigation app that allows me to use my own POI files?
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Xman wrote:

Well, kinda... It was replaced with Google Places instead which does exactly the same thing...

MaFt

Google Places ? where.

I'm also very annoyed TomTom has removed Google Search, below is taken this staight out of What's New on app store.
Quote:
- GOOGLE LOCAL SEARCH: due to the discontinuation of the Google Local Search service, TomTom has decided to remove the feature. You can still search for locations using TomTom Places. Alternatively you can search Google in your browser and use the Copied Address feature to plan routes to these locations.

Not sure if this means Google have stopped TomTom form using Goggle Search Service or its something to do with Apple not wanting TomTom to use Google Search Service?

Quote:
- WORKS WITH APPLE MAPS: When you find a place to visit using the Apple Maps app, TomTom can guide you there. Simply select TomTom as the routing app and enjoy world-class car navigation. (requires iOS6).

Not sure if I'm not getting it but I can't get Apple Maps to use TomTom as the Navigation engine?

IPhone 4
dans_gps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- WORKS WITH APPLE MAPS: When you find a place to visit using the Apple Maps app, TomTom can guide you there. Simply select TomTom as the routing app and enjoy world-class car navigation. (requires iOS6).

Quote:
Not sure if I'm not getting it but I can't get Apple Maps to use TomTom as the Navigation engine?

This is referring to Apple's Mass Transit feature - select the bus icon then "route" and it gives you links to external apps you have (Tomtom) or in the app store.
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dans_gps wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

This is referring to Apple's Mass Transit feature - select the bus icon then "route" and it gives you links to external apps you have (Tomtom) or in the app store.

Thanks for pointing that out, you can also use Siri to set navigation app bye using the word "transit" to set destination. i.e. "transit to the tower of london"

IPhone 4

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: