Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom one poi problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom one poi problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluggit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: tomtom one poi problem Reply with quote

Just downloaded database to my tt one (early version, about three years old).
All files seem to be on the unit -bitmap and ov2 files etc but i cant bring them up on the poi list. There is only the existing catagories, post office, police stn.
There is no function on the unit for poi management so that factory set database cant be manipulated to make room for the new 3rd party database(if that is the problem).
Any suggestions other than a more up to date gps.
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did copy them into your Map directory, didn't you??

It's named something like :- Europe_North
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
pluggit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what part in the proceedings does THAT little question come up!

I was never asked( or never noticed). Can you give me an idea of how to complete as im a bit lost now. I followed the guide for the tt one series and all went well. I didnt get any prompts to do anything else so haven t a clue as to adding to the map.

Any help much appreciated
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bitmap and OV2 files go into the folder containing your map.. on this list it is the folder called United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland. This list is from a ONE v3, from 2008 (UK Regional - if you have a Europe map, it'll be called Europe or something like that). After copying the files into that folder, you then go into the menu items on your device, Change Preferences... Manage POIs... Warn When Near POI etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluggit wrote:
At what part in the proceedings does THAT little question come up!
That little question does not 'come up'. You have to put the files in the right place, 'it' does not ask you. Item 4 in the installation instructions for a 1. say:
You now need to specify where you actually want to place the files, the simplest way is to dock your TomTom to the PC switch it on and press connect to PC when prompted by the device.

It is now possible to expand the "Extract to" box, locate the icon with the image of the TomTom Go and expand it. In the image above this is drive (F: ), but note this drive letter will change dependent upon the number of drives fitted into the PC. Scroll down the contents of the TomTom device and click the map folder (the name will depend on the map you use, i.e. Western_Central_Europe, United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland etc).
pluggit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to sort this out. I ve made a bit of a b###er of it now anyway. Im beyond help..and so is the old tt-one. I ve pressed a wrong button and deleted some files that the unit needed for it to actually BE a gps. Its now deceased. A software pack(even if I could get one) would cost more than the gps is worth now so Im going for a newer unit-probably a via etc.
I ll have a go at downloading to that. I can see where I went wrong. Thing is that although I can find my way around windows 7, Im not very good at manipulating folders/files etc so if I come back on here again with the " ..shall I press this button now .." approach .......... be gentle!

Believe it or not , Im actually an electronics engineer with 30 yrs in industry! Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluggit wrote:
Its now deceased. A software pack(even if I could get one) would cost more than the gps is worth now so Im going for a newer unit-probably a via etc.

Hang on a min...

The "software pack" is free, it's only maps that cost money. So if your maps are still safe (on the unit, or in a backup on your PC or available for download if you ever bought one) then it should be easy to replace the software.

There are several ways to do this, either manually or automatically. Probably the easiest thing to try first is to connect to the PC and run TomTom Home software. With a bit of luck that will recognise something is missing and will re-install the operating system files.

Even if that doesn't work, there are lots of other things we can do.
pluggit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took an evening but its sorted. Just need to see active poi,s on screen then Im happy.
The whole of the op system had gone, map, the works. had to use tt-home to reinstall and buy map pack again. No choice. No back-up.
Figured out what I was doing wrong on installation. Im not good with file manipulation and I have to think about it but the penny dropped. Loaded extracted files onto map file and it came together.
Cost me some swearing and a few quid for the maps but at least I have a working unit again. Thanks for all your prompts, it helped me figure it out.

ps . Does this software pack require regular updates ie weekly or is it down to the individual. Any recommendations..

Regards, Chris
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first... PLEASE now do a complete backup, by using Windows explorer.

Use Explorer make a new folder on your PC to receive the backup.
Then with the TomTom connected, use Explorer to select EVERYTHING on the TomTom memory (folders and loose files), then COPY them, go to that folder on your PC, and PASTE them there.

(Some more detailed instructions are in our FAQs How to back up the TomTom device to the computer.)

Once you've done that, your precious maps are safe. Smile

As for updates.... There is unlikely to be another major software update for your model.
You don't say exactly which version of the ONE you have, but most older versions (Classic, 2nd and 3rd editions) had their last big software change back in 2008!

The only thing it's worth updating (apart from the maps themselves) is what are called the MapShare corrections.
By connecting to TomTom Home occasionally you should be able to receive downloads of small corrections to the maps for free. You have to sign up to gat them, Iforget whther you do that on the ONE itself or in the menus in Home.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Iforget whther you do that on the ONE itself or in the menus in Home.
In HOME, go to Tools - TomTom Map Share.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.
I'm fairly sure I've seen "Join MapShare?" appear as a pop-up on the TomTom itself too, but that might well have been just a suggestion that you "Go to Home" to do it.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my GO720 on page 2 of the Main Menu there is an option to "Download corrections made by others" where I believe you can join MapShare (mine gives the option to leave as I've already joined).

Another option on the same page is "Map Corrections", where "Correction Preferences" allows you to set "Verification Level".

Edit: I see if you join or select "Continue" at the first option above it also leads to the "Verification Level" screen.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: