Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Attempting to update, Android version crashes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempting to update, Android version crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Attempting to update, Android version crashes Reply with quote

As per title. Happened twice now; crashlogs submitted each time.

On starting it up this time (second occurrence in two weeks), it's telling me now that I've got the current version, but every time I start it up, it goes directly to the update page, and if I hit the back button to get to the warnings screen, it locks up, requiring a full reset. I'm far from happy, as you can imagine.

CA ver 10.121 (34031),
Android ver 4.0.3,
HTC Sense 3.6,
Software No 3.32.161.52.

Is this in any way, do you think, reelated to the recent issues with the 'no map' problem of a couple of weeks back?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth trying this:

Under settings there is a development options tab, in which there is a check box for '"Don't keep activities" (destroy every activity as soon as user leaves it)'.

Please can you make sure that this is NOT selected and then the database update will work correctly.

(from the FAQs: http://www.cameralert.com/faqs/ )

MaFt
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already tried that today. It'd be useful if I could actually get to the settings page, but it automatically goes to the update page, and petulantly locks up when I try to do anything other than updating. Getting very hacked off here.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to delete the App and clean install.

Do it from Application Manager in the phone settings. When there, clear the cache first, you will have to click OK when asked. Then click uninstall.

If you download the App again, it should be clean of any previous settings you had.

Don't know if it will solve the problem, just something I usually try when I get a problem.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; I'll give it a try.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
Already tried that today. It'd be useful if I could actually get to the settings page, but it automatically goes to the update page, and petulantly locks up when I try to do anything other than updating. Getting very hacked off here.

The settings you need to go to are the main phone's settings, not the app settings.

MaFt
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, right; seems I misunderstood what you were saying there; in any case, having now accessed those global phone settings, I find that the checkbox was already unchecked - that is, it was not, say again not, checked in the first place; therefore, the problem does not lie there.

I'm now thinking that somewhere along the way, something has become corrupted inside the CA package, so I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall it, to see if that cures the problem.

In the mean time, I submitted two crash logs over the last couple of days: They might show some clue as to what happened, and I sincerely trust that if they do, that they then assist the dev team in preventing anyone else from suffering this problem.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, problem solved by the uninstallation and reinstallation of the CA package. It updated promptly and successfully once reinstallation was accomplished.

The suspicions that the original installation had become corrupted somehow therefore appear to have been confirmed.

My thanks to MaFt and 253 for your suggestions; of interest to 253 is that once the uninstall and reinstall process had been completed, my account settings for PGPSW did not - say again not - need to be re-entered, as they were already present following the reinstallation of CA. Interesting, that.

Hindsight being what it is, I suspect that it's possible that my choosing not perform a cold restart to the phone, between uninstallation and reinstallation, failed to completely clear all prior settings, and further points to a problem or corruption that had developed over time in the CA package itself, rather than the settings to the package, on my phone.

Whatever the cause, as I said above, the problem is now solved, and this thread can now be closed.

Again, my thanks to MaFt and 253 for their help Smile
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, glad you are sorted. Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
of interest to 253 is that once the uninstall and reinstall process had been completed, my account settings for PGPSW did not - say again not - need to be re-entered, as they were already present following the reinstallation of CA. Interesting, that.

We create a unique ID for each device based on numerous hardware & software info we can get from the Android SDK. Because either your hardware or software was changed the ID stays the same so we knew who you were. Had you done a firmware update for Android then the change in software would likely have resulted in a change in your unique ID and we wouldn't have recognised you Smile

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: