Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
adamwolfe wrote:
Hi All
Got new version and working fine, many thanks. One thing I've noticed is that the new cross/tick bar doesn't stay on the screen long enough to check ahead and respond. If a camera/site isn't in line of sight ie is round a bend, the bar is pointless as is gone by the time the site is actually seen. Had a look, but can't see any settings to change this. Great idea, but needs to stay on screen longer. Idea

Is this when the app is in the background or when it is the foreground?

If you're referring to background mode then we are limited to how long the pop ups (known as 'toasts') are visible for. However, the code monkeys are busy working on a bit of a hack to work around this which should help it stay on display for longer.

MaFt

Yup, running in the background with CoPilot Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version has just auto updated on mine Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the current market version the final release for now?

I noticed the popup that appears over other nav software (for example) when approaching a camera now has the new buttons on it - WHICH OBSCURES THE ON SCREEN TEXT THAT DESCRIBES THE CAMERA THAT'S BEING APPROACHED.

Ooops :-(

Was this release rushed out a little too fast?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:

I noticed the popup that appears over other nav software (for example) when approaching a camera now has the new buttons on it - WHICH OBSCURES THE ON SCREEN TEXT THAT DESCRIBES THE CAMERA THAT'S BEING APPROACHED.

No, this is by design. You can tell the camera type by the icon. Plus the fact that the tick/cross buttons only show for mobiles

wibbly wrote:
Was this release rushed out a little too fast?

No? The tick/cross stuff has being in the iOS version for about a month now with no complaints about that issue. I assume the that Android users are a bit more picky...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I assume the that Android users are a bit more picky...
Well we would be wouldn't we, else we would have followed the rest of the sheep and bought a stupid iPhone Very Happy
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

If you're referring to background mode then we are limited to how long the pop ups (known as 'toasts') are visible for. However, the code monkeys are busy working on a bit of a hack to work around this which should help it stay on display for longer.

MaFt

It doesn't (for the moment) stay on long enough, so why is the feature there at all - it's just not useful to have the buttons appear in the toast at all with the user experience poor, no? Even distracting to have a try to "stab it in time". Better to leave the toast as-was. Feed the 'code monkeys' more bananas and let them release a feature when when it's useful, not when it's half useful?
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
wibbly wrote:

No, this is by design. You can tell the camera type by the icon. Plus the fact that the tick/cross buttons only show for mobiles

I honestly also find the two "yes"/"no" button obscuring the mobile camera toasts not much welcome. I would prefer the toast to be a bit "taller" and append the two button below the original toast.
Or, better, have an option in the menu somewhere to "enable/disable" the "yes/no" buttons for mobile cameras.
If I will never use it (I mostly use Cameralert in the background and drive alon, so I am not going to risk of having an accident to try to tap on the "yes/no" buttons), I would want the option not to see them and instead see the relevant info on the toast (camera distance, etc...)

Cheers!!!

P.S. CamerAlert is still the best!!!
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
adamwolfe wrote:
Hi All
Got new version and working fine, many thanks. One thing I've noticed is that the new cross/tick bar doesn't stay on the screen long enough to check ahead and respond. If a camera/site isn't in line of sight ie is round a bend, the bar is pointless as is gone by the time the site is actually seen. Had a look, but can't see any settings to change this. Great idea, but needs to stay on screen longer. Idea

Is this when the app is in the background or when it is the foreground?

MaFt

Ah....is this something to do with my old request here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=86023&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=16

Very Happy

BTW: Plenty of ways to make toasts last longer:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2220560/can-an-android-toast-be-longer-than-toast-length-long

Or actually, have you thoguht of using Dialogs instead of Toasts?
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/dialogs.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9565970/dismiss-alertdialog-without-buttons
That would give you much more flexibility.

I am no expert, and I would assume your developers must have checked this before, but that does not stop me suggesting Wink

Cheers

Last edited by mrfrank on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
wibbly wrote:

MaFt

Is the partially obscured text next to the camera type and icon (and partially behind the buttons) supposed to be there (or a bugette)? I would never be able to read all the text as its always partially hidden by the new buttons.

Last edited by wibbly on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
goldenhornet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfrank wrote:
MaFt wrote:
wibbly wrote:

I honestly also find the two "yes"/"no" button obscuring the mobile camera toasts not much welcome. I would prefer the toast to be a bit "taller" and append the two button below the original toast.
Or, better, have an option in the menu somewhere to "enable/disable" the "yes/no" buttons for mobile cameras.
If I will never use it (I mostly use Cameralert in the background and drive alon, so I am not going to risk of having an accident to try to tap on the "yes/no" buttons), I would want the option not to see them and instead see the relevant info on the toast (camera distance, etc...)

Cheers!!!

P.S. CamerAlert is still the best!!!

Ah, I was just coming here to see if I could disable the tick/cross thing.

I run CamerAlert in the background while using Google Navigation. The pop-up isn't there long enough to reach forward and select an option whilst driving so it's pretty much useless. It simply obscures the information I want to see. Sad
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CamerAlert for Android V1.3.10.747 Released To Google Pl Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Correct - 'none' turns off the visual and audible alerts. 'silence' keeps the visual but removes the audible.

MaFt
If using "Silence", should we still be expecting the audio glitch when the overspeed "toast" is displayed? Makes Mick Jagger sound like Norman Collier!! Sad

MikeB wrote:
- If "Silence" is selected as a sound, nothing will be played in the audio queue.
Thanks!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:

Is the partially obscured text next to the camera type and icon (and partially behind the buttons) supposed to be there (or a bugette)? I would never be able to read all the text as its always partially hidden by the new buttons.

It's a bugette, and will be fixed in the next version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

lbendlin wrote:
wibbly wrote:

It's a bugette, and will be fixed in the next version.

I tried Android CamerAlert v1.3.10.754 on the move for the first time yesterday.

Here are my findings:

1. The cross and tick cover the details of the camera. This is annoying both for information and aesthetics. May I suggest in LIST mode the cross and tick are below the camera information. In MAP mode the cross and tick may look better above the the camera information.

2. At the moment once you pass the site both the camera information and the cross and tick disappear off screen. The driver (passenger) needs time to see whether the site is active before they can look back to the screen to hit the correct button. I suggest at least 5 second and maybe 10 seconds delay. However a user adjustment option might be even better.

3. In LIST mode, once the cross was pressed the phone froze.

4. In MAP mode, once the cross was pressed the phone went to report error but went to use Google's error process. I don't know if this info gets sent only to Google or whether you guys get it as well - so I didn't sent it.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAA_1112192046 wrote:

I'm using it with navigon on my s3.

We already admitted that was a oversight. In the upcoming version the buttons will not appear when you use CamerAlert in the background. They wouldn't work anyhow due to Android limitations.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm left very confused by this whole thread.

I got the newsletter today and found that we now have a Cameralert app, which I duly whacked onto my Samsung Galaxy 2.

In the same newsletter we have appealing for donations, is there some backward thinking going on at PGPSW towers duh, app £1. Funds sorted but no give it away free, I'm sure there is some good thinking behind this idea, do tell as it escapes me, it should not be free, I don't have the disposables to make a donation, but would have scrounged together the £1 annual fee to have the database on my mobile phone as would a few of my friends, but who wouldn't join the website, a good fund raising opportunity missed.

Right the App looks good to me but I'm not sure what to do with it to get the best use out of it, I have a Tom Tom so I upgrade that every now and then as I don't use it much, I have Co-pilot which I don't get on with on the phone, I prefer Google maps and would use it more but for the 3D maps, I prefer the 2D but can't see how to change it like I can on the TT.

Where the app might come into it's own is in the car as that has a built in sat nav which was last updated in 04.

OH yeah thanks for the app, I'm grateful for the many many hours of (unpaid) work which must have gone into it and the missed hours with friends and family, the time lost for going to the pub, rows with partners missed appointments etc etc etc, Thanks to everyone involved.

Briefly can anyone instruct me in basic easily understood terms how to get he bast from my new app, hopefully without locking it up.

Lastly is todays version reliable as the thread is bit techy for me to disseminate.

Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: