Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS - I want to use it with Google Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS - I want to use it with Google Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdp1962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Pocket GPS - I want to use it with Google Maps Reply with quote

After hearing about the release of a Google Maps app for iOS6, I finally upgraded my IP phone's operating system and downloaded Google Maps, expecting that I could go into the settings section of Pocket GPS and instruct it to open in conjunction with Google Maps. It doesn't; the only app on offer is "Maps", which is of course the new "improved" Apple Maps (the very thing I was trying to avoid) or an option to put in a URL.

Does anyone know if it's possible to load Pocket GPS with Google Maps, and if so, how I do it?

I am bit of a dummy with technology.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't. Our app uses Apple's MapKit interface and thus uses the maps that Apple choose to provide, so it was Google and now it is their own.

To allow users the choice would require a complete re-write of the app, using the new APIs that Google provide. But even then it is not that simple as we may have to pay Google for such usage. We are looking into this but, even if it is feasible, it won't be happening soon.
jdp1962
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know. Merry Christmas, or what's left of it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the "On startup also run" option? Or do you mean so the app uses Google's map for the app display?

You can set it to launch Google Maps App on laucnh by manually entering googlemaps:// into the 'also run' text area.

If you want the google map to be used in the app itself then that's not available at the moment. We have asked Google for developer access and will be looking into the feasibility of adding this to the app.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: