Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Could a 7-inch tablet be the perfect satnav? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
7-inch tablets, a device format that many pundits claimed had 'no market' are selling like hot cakes. Google's Asus manufactured Nexus 7 tablet is selling at a rate of over a million per month and Apple's entrant in this sector, the iPad mini goes on sale tomorrow.

I've long since desired a device that was larger than a smartphone but smaller than an iPad. My thinking being that they're great media consumption devices, small enough to hold and read a book, browse the web, check your email etc and big enough to make the ideal in-car satnav.

So I've invested in a Google Nexus 7. The latest variant went on sale Monday with the 32GB Wi-Fi only version a bargain £199.00. There is a cellular radio equipped option coming later this month but the most important distinction here is that all the Nexus 7's are equipped with GPS. On the iPad that's reserved for the Wi-Fi plus Cellular models only.

Source: Google Play - Nexus 7

So what's it like? Very very good is the answer. It's well built, has a great screen and everything works nicely. Being a Google branded device it has the latest release of Android 4.1.2. Android is now a very smooth and polished operating system.

I've also invested in a Brodit active cradle which provides power. The Nexus 7 sits nicely on the dash without being too intrusive or obscuring anything important. Being that bit larger, all the icons and buttons are easier to locate and select as well, an added bonus.

On the navigation front, Navigon and TomTom don't support the high-res screen in the Nexus 7 (yet) so for the UK I'd suggest looking at Sygic or CoPilot, both work well on the large screen.

Having a larger display makes the whole experience so much nicer and when you're not driving you have a tablet that you can use to watch movies, listen to podcasts etc. I have my music library and a range of podcasts loaded and can stream over Bluetooth to my car. If you need an internet connection, you can tether to your smartphone or await the cellular version due soon.
email icon

adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot GPS (Free) works very well on the Nexus available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hbGsuY29waWxvdC5tYXB2aWV3ZXIiXQ..
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamwolfe wrote:
CoPilot GPS (Free) works very well on the Nexus available here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5hbGsuY29waWxvdC5tYXB2aWV3ZXIiXQ..

Yes but the free version isn't really a sat nav, given that it has no voice directions. For that (essential) you have to pay.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity Navigon doesn't support the Nexus 7. Google Nav works of course but is limited without a data connection although you can always tether to your phone for data.

Pleasantly surprised by the Nexus 7. So much so I've actually gone and bought some apps, a first despite having owned a number for Android handsets.

Invested in Swiftkey for Tablets as the stock keyboard is a PoS! Also Pocket Casts as I'm an avid podcast listener.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article Darren.

Can you keep us updated as to how you get on with it?
I am interested in purchasing one myself, but worried about the 16Gb and no SD card slot.
Have a Galaxy S3 since June, 105 apps - no big games - and down to just under 5Gb free.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Nexus 7 is 32GB and still £199.00. That's what I got.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The latest Nexus 7 is 32GB and still £199.00. That's what I got.

Ahhhhhh - better.
Cheers for that, thought they were still only 16Gb.
Eiffel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Navfree Reply with quote

I've used Navfree with great success. Quality of the routing in the UK seems about on par with TomTom based on my experience using both at the same time
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to tethering your phone could be to get something like the MiFi dongle that Three do.

Must admit I'm very tempted by a Nexus 7 for just this sort of thing. Or I might wait until my current mobile contract expires and go for something like the Galaxy Note 2.

Decisions Wink
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Welcome to the 7" world! Reply with quote

Welcome to the 7" world, Darren. I have been using the original Samsung Galaxy Tab with Sygic (and, of course, CamerAlert in the background) for a long time. I also have a Brodit cradle although this is rather large. My Tab can take a SIM but I don't currently have a SIM in it and it is really not necessary. I just make sure my CamerAlert database is up to date and it's good to go.

So much nicer to look at, and easier to glance at while concentrating on driving, than my old Garmin.

News Team wrote:

and Apple's entrant in this sector, the iPad mini goes on sale tomorrow.

And I remember Steve Jobs saying Apple would NEVER make a 7" tablet - no one wants them or needs them! Very Happy
subvertbeats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

You might be interested in this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112485274203492471507/albums/5790651485778633105

Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, which app are using for the ODBII data? BUT ODBII dongle too?
subvertbeats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is DashCommand, but I use Torque also.

OBDII dongle is a Kiwi bluetooth
Major_Route
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 16gb nexus 7 and don't find storage an issue. Get a cheap otg cable and plug in a usb mem stick, hdd or card reader. Alternatively you could get Seagate's wifi 2.5" hdd (500gb) and stream movies, music, photos etc from that. I copy across a whole series of TV like Dexter or 24 in one go and still have room for my music and apps. More memory is always desirable though, it's just 16gb is workable.
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Route wrote:
I've got a 16gb nexus 7 and don't find storage an issue. Get a cheap otg cable and plug in a usb mem stick, hdd or card reader. Alternatively you could get Seagate's wifi 2.5" hdd (500gb) and stream movies, music, photos etc from that. I copy across a whole series of TV like Dexter or 24 in one go and still have room for my music and apps. More memory is always desirable though, it's just 16gb is workable.

I have the 16Gb too. No storage problems yet. OTG cable from Amazon and a 64GB usb stick. Perfect for movies etc. Also best to use "Nexus Media Importer" (free on Play) which allows media to be played directly from a stick/card etc. You can also use Google Docs too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: