Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK: Radar Detectors Will Not Be Banned
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK: Radar Detectors Will Not Be Banned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: UK: Radar Detectors Will Not Be Banned Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
AutoBlog UK are reporting that the UK ban on radar and laser detectors (such as the Snooper above) will no longer happen. According to the report Stephen Hammond, the Road Safety Minister, has said that the government "do not plan to ban radar detectors as our general approach is to make speed enforcement visible and fair - encouraging improved driver behaviour and making the roads safer for all." Although it should be noted that we have not been able to find an original source for this quote.

Since 2006 the law has been that ministers could ban the radar detectors without having to go through parliament; while this never actually happened, the lack of clarity surrounding their use was such that large chains such as Halfords removed them from their shelves.

The law is still the same and they could be banned at any time, but we now have a politician's word for it that they won't be banned; and a politician can always be trusted, can't they? Regardless, the current 'official' word is that they are not illegal to use although I do wonder if the police could argue that using one was interfering with their operations just like they do for someone flashing their headlights at a mobile site.

email icon
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news and makes a lot of sense. However as most mobile sites are laser and a lot of static cameras use sensor in the road or number plate reading technology which makes radar detectors not the best single warning device but a useful addition to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.

I had a Bel Euro 550 (faulty so no longer used) that was a good machine although obviously no good for laser. Some of the higher end radar detectors have a "Safety Warning System (sws™) Alerts" text system that police and other authorities can use to transmit text messages. This is used in the USA but would be useful in any country.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who believes a politician need their head read.

They've got proven track record of lying.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Anyone who believes a politician need their head read.

They've got proven track record of lying.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across very well in the text then... Wink

MaFt
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Forum had agreed that they are useless? The detector has to see a radar or laser beam before it can issue a warning, by which time the vehicle speed has already been ascertained?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
I thought the Forum had agreed that they are useless? The detector has to see a radar or laser beam before it can issue a warning, by which time the vehicle speed has already been ascertained?

They're not as useless for radar as they pick up the scatter so can alert you with a bit more time. Laser ones though... those are useless.

MaFt
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I sold mine...too much other interference...you never knew quite what was going on and I certainly wouldn't rely on it. Funny enough though, when I was living in the US, the model I used then was pretty good...definitely saved me one ticket, (but not the other two !)
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Radar Detectors Reply with quote

I've long been worried by laser 'safety' cameras. Having spent many years in the telecomms industry working with fibre optics the one thing that was always clear was that you NEVER looked at a laser source & here are the police pointing them at us. Especially worrying are the long range ones which surely must be higher powered.
These are being operated by the same responsible law enforcement body that fired a taser at a blind man because his white stick was mistaken for a samuri sword.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: