Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Smartphone for SatNav with POI alerts?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Smartphone for SatNav with POI alerts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chockswahay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Smartphone for SatNav with POI alerts? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have just been recommended this forum by another forum member and this is my first post. I will be touring the UK and Europe over the next couple of years in a motor camper and I am looking to get SatNav sorted.

I like the idea of using a smartphone (phone, internet, camera and tethering to my MacbookAir) but I have no real experience of using Sat Nav on the road.

I like the Google Nexus 4 (good price) or Orange San Diego (bonkers cheap!). Would Google maps be adequate and can I download POI's? Also would this offer me 'alerts' when driving within range of selected POI's?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Chox
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Chockswahay, I can only offer advice based on my experience. I love my Android phone and the Nav apps I have on it, however, I would not want to tour Europe on it, a proper SatNAv device would be my first choice. The display would be too small and the functions too limiting. Notwithstanding this, you are correct. You can navigate with GoogleMaps and you can download POI's to your phone (I'm not sure that GoogleMAps accepts them, yo may have to use a different NavApp to do that).

There was a recent (about 5 months ago?) topic on these forums about using a 7" tablet as a SatNav (a Nexus 7). I like the idea of this too, especially if the tablet was data enabled and not just WiFi. The bigger screen and the improved processor power should make for a better navigating experience.

I use TomTom for Android. I like the way TT routes and I like it's display. I can import POI's into this. Many others here like Sygic and POI's can also be imported, although I believe that it is a little trickier to perform.

There are many free NavApps. I also use OsmAnd and Waze (See my signature below). You download maps before hand with OsmAnd and they are stored on your phones memory card so that you do not need a data connection whilst driving. Waze does need a data connection as it downloads the map tiles as you are driving but it also offers you free Traffic info and routing although I'm not sure how effective it is.

And, most importantly of all, The CamerAlert app from here is a must. It is stand alone and does not integrate into any NavApp but it shall highlight most, if not all, speed cameras you are likely to encounter on your travels. I run mine in the background behind TT, OsmAnd or Waze and it comes to the fore when nearing a camera.

Well, that should start the ball rolling.

EDIT - to say, that it's not just TT or Sygig. There are many others - CoPilot, Navigon, MemoryMAp, etc. etc. I just don't know anything about these.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Waze does need a data connection as it downloads the map tiles as you are driving but it also offers you free Traffic info and routing although I'm not sure how effective it is.
Google maps also downloads the map tiles as you go along, so if you chose to use that one, be aware of your data plan in Europe. CamerAlert, the phone app, not the PGPSW database for TT et al., also downloads map tiles on the fly, but not if you chose not to display the map, it then uses no data except for when you download the most up to date database.
Chockswahay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm much obliged to you for the replies. This is a whole new ball game for me but I do feel that I should 'get with the program' Laughing Out Loud

Cheers Very Happy
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
Waze does need a data connection as it downloads the map tiles as you are driving but it also offers you free Traffic info and routing although I'm not sure how effective it is.
Google maps also downloads the map tiles as you go along, so if you chose to use that one, be aware of your data plan in Europe. CamerAlert, the phone app, not the PGPSW database for TT et al., also downloads map tiles on the fly, but not if you chose not to display the map, it then uses no data except for when you download the most up to date database.

With Google maps you can download the map tiles in advance defining exactly which areas you want - do this by WiFi as you travel.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction Ian. I wasn't aware of that. How do you do it please?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Thanks for the correction Ian. I wasn't aware of that. How do you do it please?

I use the Menu softkey which gives me a "Make Available Offline" option - select it & then Pan & Zoom the box to the area you want to save - you can do it for multiple areas so that you travel across a succession of saved tiles
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about a Google Nexus 7 tablet? Relatively cheap, large screen, can run TomTom or any of the other satnav apps.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=device-featured
Chockswahay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Or how about a Google Nexus 7 tablet? Relatively cheap, large screen, can run TomTom or any of the other satnav apps.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=device-featured

Ooooo...... that's nice! if only it could make phone calls Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't get it too hot Shocked See page 2 here
Chockswahay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But don't get it too hot Shocked See page 2 here

Crikey Shocked I am wondering about a Nexus 4 tho Cool

Oops, realised I already said that Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's all right then Very Happy
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia lumia with Nokia drive downloads maps to phone memory so won't batter your data connection. And you can tether the phone as well to your mac book I'd go for an lumia 800 as there cheaper than the newer win 8 phones

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: